DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Placement

Mcloer

Reactions
So, I've ordered a pair of strobes from Firehouse. One red one white. My question is: Does FAA have a particular requirement for placement, as in, red on right and white on left or visa versa. Trying to avoid digging through FAA's labarynth...:cool:

Red on left, green on right, white on top.
But mean nothing on your small drone.

Red on left, green on right, white on top.
But mean nothing on your small drone.

Right, there really isn't a front or back since the Mavic can fly in any direction on it's body.

Note, the red, green and white refers to aircraft position lights, not strobes. The short answer for strobes, the main concern is they be visible to max extent possible. On my Mavic I have placed one facing forward (on the front arms) and one facing back. Of course, since the Mavic can fly in any direction, the front versus back only refers to the camera facing the front.

Right, there really isn't a front or back since the Mavic can fly in any direction on it's body.

Note, the red, green and white refers to aircraft position lights, not strobes. The short answer for strobes, the main concern is they be visible to max extent possible. On my Mavic I have placed one facing forward (on the front arms) and one facing back. Of course, since the Mavic can fly in any direction, the front versus back only refers to the camera facing the front.

OK, holding a private pilot license I am clear on aircraft requirements. Just wondered if they had come up with anything for the drone applications. Thanks guys!

IMG_0881.JPG Received my strobes and hot glued them on the leg extensions. That way they can be removed for whatever reason. I like the improved visibility and orientation when I tried them last weekend.

Reactions: WolfgangStiller
I have done something similar with my strobes but I have one facing forward and one facing backwards. This way the aid visibility in all directions.

Not sure brand but I ordered from Firehouse. Apparently more expensive through them but in stock.

Reactions: marc r
I don't have strobes but if I did I think I'd want them facing forward to tell me when it was facing me. That'd be the most useful for getting it home (back to me) if the FPV failed. See the strobes nice and bright? Then fly forward for home. Same thing could be said for having them both on the back if they interfere with the camera. Can't see strobes? Then fly forward for home.

I don't have strobes but if I did I think I'd want them facing forward to tell me when it was facing me. That'd be the most useful for getting it home (back to me) if the FPV failed. See the strobes nice and bright? Then fly forward for home. Same thing could be said for having them both on the back if they interfere with the camera. Can't see strobes? Then fly forward for home.

The map and radar (as well the front/rear lights) are pretty good for identifying which way the Mavic is facing. I use the strobes so I can better spot it at a distance or find it if it has gone down in thick vegetation. I once was standing 10 feet from a similar sized drone that was in a bush at waist height and couldn't spot it until I was two feet from it.

The map doesn't work when the app disconnects. I'm thinking worst case when you've just got the controller to get your bird back home before an emergency RTH. If you have them on just to see the bird at all times then light 'er up front and rear.

Just purchased a white strobe from Firehouse. I mounted it on the back due to concern of the flashing strobe could cause issues with video and stills if it were mounted on the front. I like the idea of being able to know that it is flying away from me unlike some others that consider the desire to know when it is coming back. If you get an older unit from Firehouse, it will flash continually while charging the newer model does not. One thing that is also confusing is that the plastic wrap should be kept on the circuit board and battery. It keeps it dry as a package. It is water resistant, but not water proof. Also, when you hold the button 3 seconds to turn it on it will flash once. Just wait as it will then go into the strobe mode. To turn it off, hold the button for 3 seconds again and wait for it to flash once and it will turn off. Amazon has them for just under $30 with free delivery.

Attachments

• IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
The ones sold here in the usa are a ripoff, Order from here for 11.63 usd each. Dont believe the "cree" hype everyone always talks about. Thats been thrown around since led were invented as an excuse to charge more for nothing.

STROBON Standalone - Flytron

Wouldn't it be nice if these came standard (or even as on option). You could control the colors and on/off from the app. How cool would that be? :)

Anyway, I've posted about this before. I like red on the front, white on the sides, and green on the back (although I'm reconsidering this LOL). Anyway, with three colors you can tell the exact orientation of the AC at any time (within a mile or so). You can still see the lights up to about 3 miles but at that point you can't discern the colors.

Reactions: Mavicguy65
The ones sold here in the usa are a ripoff, Order from here for 11.63 usd each. STROBON Standalone - Flytron
Actually, $17.39 with shipping to the U.S. at current rates, and they're closed until mid-September and won't ship until after then.

Or, you can order from our own msinger here for only a couple bucks more, support a member of this forum, and get your Strobons a whole lot quicker.

Dont believe the "cree" hype everyone always talks about. Thats been thrown around since led were invented as an excuse to charge more for nothing.
That's doubtful, considering LEDs have been around since the early 1960s and Cree has only been around since the late 1980s and has only been releasing commercial products for a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: PT_Mavic
^^ This ^^ I've bought several from Mike (msinger / phantomhelp.com / mavichelp.com) -- great person to do business with.

RE: The original vs. the CREE. I just got some of the cheaper ones and will do an A/B test tonight. Will probably start a new thread so look for it if you're interested.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Update (I'll make a new thread when I get other colors to test):

I tested the original STROBON vs the CREE STROBON. Note I only tested white so other colors may be different.

Up to about 1/2 mile you can't notice any difference in intensity but as I got further out (over a mile) I noticed the CREE light was easily more bright.

I'm going to be testing all the colors head to head soon and will make a new thread.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661