DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobes and power banks...

Thanks for this. The gear seems to make this all work out. Is that gear generally pretty light?

I have an ARC V and put it on the back of my battery door, due to lack of any better option. I experimented with the top placement which was okay, but the bottom would certainly be better.
The two Firehouse Arc V strobes weigh about 13 grams each. I don't recall but I think it was the multicolor (red, green, blue, white) that is slightly lighter than the other. The Landing Gear for Mini 3 Pro weighs about 22 grams.

A couple notes on the Firehouse Arc 5's...
1. The adhesive on the back of one set of the Firehouse Technologies Velcro from was dried out and weak until I used a little rubber cement I scavenged from a spray bottle and that solvent in it reactivated that on the Firehouse velcro. I would have used a 3M Command) device that is like "ULtra knobby velcro" (used to hang frames on walls, etc), but I didn't have any at the time. I think the Velcro brand stuff is better, too. Upsides to the knobby stuff are that sand and lint won't be a bother and that the light won't come off in flight. Downside is it takes a bit of pressure to get the stuff properly engaged.

2. The multicolor Arc V is not as "snappy bright" as is the all-white version, but when mounted on the bottom I have found that using different colors in different conditions is helpful. I also find the white flash/strobe combo setting is great.
Mike

Here is a Firehouse Bottom Mount Kit which I don't recall seeing before. I don't think I could use my landing gear with it , but it looks like a great daytime solution for "fly, find, repeat" training if not for regular use. I can't tell from the images on the website if there is any amount of sideways "cant" or flair to each wing, but I'd probably crank some in if not. I verified advertised weight of the Arc V is 13 grams.

Firehouse Tech Bottom Mount M3P kit.jpg

Reactions: MarkTun
Also consider a bright orange "skin" applied to key parts of the airframe.

Reactions: Torque
Also consider a bright orange "skin" applied to key parts of the airframe.
Back in the days when I was flying the Phantom line (1,2 and 3 Pro) I used holographic prism tape (the type used on fishing lures) here and there on the body. When the sun would hit it, it was as bright as an LED strobe.

Reactions: Mike107 and KLRSKIR
Back in the days when I was flying the Phantom line (1,2 and 3 Pro) I used holographic prism tape (the type used on fishing lures) here and there on the body. When the sun would hit it, it was as bright as an LED strobe.

Supposedly good for scaring birds away too.
Works in orchards etc.

Reactions: Torque
You’re welcome! Glad they help a bit.

I did start drilling on “handling” (hand+landing, get it?! Ha ha) in a serious way after so many malfunctions of my DJI Mini 3 Pro. They frequently caused partial loss of control of the drone—including refusal to land, and lack of response to RTH. (My current theory is overheating RC controller was a HUGe contributor, plus there must have been repeated faulty drone firmware flashes, because it acted like a different animal every time).

I found the leg set actually makes it easier to hand catch. Best method so far for me, though, seems to be Flying it Into my hand as opposed to grabbing it by the Battery Butt from a hover.

I ordered some Vifly strobes to try, too, with the intention of arm mounting as flashing nav lights.

Here’s a tip for anyone—if you have your drone up with lights and can’t easily visually reacquire it—especially in daylight. Definitely this helps if your lights don’t give even “reveal” from all angles during flight. Don’t just spin the drone hoping the variable angles will cause the lights to at least momentarily give a better show….

Rock” the drone fore and aft as well, especially if you have a belly light on a mini 3 pro.

Mike

Skip the firehouse.
You won’t be disappointed. And skip the mount products. Velcro works fine.
You guys inspired me to try Vifly as an alternative or compliment (eg: stern or arm nav lights,) to the FH Arc V's.

Do you--or anyone, mount Vifly forward-facing on the *arms* of a Mini 3 with velcro?
Doesn't seem like a lot of surface area in play...not much less than the strobe, but a little...

I'd hate to drop a light someplace.

You guys inspired me to try Vifly as an alternative or compliment (eg: stern or arm nav lights,) to the FH Arc V's.

Do you--or anyone, mount Vifly forward-facing on the *arms* of a Mini 3 with velcro?
Doesn't seem like a lot of surface area in play...not much less than the strobe, but a little...

I'd hate to drop a light someplace.

I’ve been fitted FHT dual and arcII strobes to the legs of my M1P for years now.
They are significantly less leg meat than strobe width, and no problems.
They can kind of be moved (turned)left / right slightly when fitted, but take some force to remove.

Reactions: Mike107
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky