DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Struggling with next steps with posts

Timbo~SYD

Reactions
Hi all,

well I am new to the forum and with a new MPP ... played with an AR Drone 2.0 years ago and have been contemplating getting something "real" for quite a while. I got my MPP about four weeks ago (after winning a base MP in competition and then upgrading it to an MPP FlyMore and adding accessories, refresh etc.).

I have watched LOTS of YouTube videos - way more hours than in the air! There is some great stuff out there and I'd like to thank the Drone Community for its inclusiveness and support.

Anyway ... After watching all those videos I have (i) bought on some PolarPro ND/PL filters, (ii) taken the camera off auto, (iii) played with a few control & camera settings as recommended by consensus; and (iv) had a fly with ND16/PL about a n hour before sunset (it.s late Autumn/fall down here in Sydney) - heading out west and coming back east.

I have put videos (4k and saved 1280x720 downlinked) and raw/jpg photos (inc a couple from my iPhone 6P w/ and w/out HDR) in a drop box

root (all folders below - not sure if this works or not for sub folder access)
Mavic Pro Platinum TJR
JPEG photos
DJI JPEG photos
1280x720 downlink videos
DJI MOV 1280x720 downlink videos
3840x2160 videos
DJI MOV 3840x2160 Videos
RAW photos
DJI RAW Photos
iPhone 6P site HDR photos
iPhone 6P photos at flight locations

I'm a bit lost now as to what post tools / software I should use and a bit intrigued what I have would look like (and how to do it). Appreciate any and all assistance.

Cheers Tim

Hey Tim!! Welcome Bro!!!
Just settle down!!
Take a few things as they come!
You wont get epic photos of XYZ or a video that Jaque Cousteau is gonna buy of you this week...!
Take your time and learn your skills, it will come!

Hey Tim!! Welcome Bro!!!
Just settle down!!
Take a few things as they come!
You wont get epic photos of XYZ or a video that Jaque Cousteau is gonna buy of you this week...!
Take your time and learn your skills, it will come!

Thanks for the welcome Simmo!

I’ve been amazed what the MPP will do out of the box [emoji403]... but clearly it can produce a lot more if you do post production ... and learn how to create better input material!

Interested to know what s/w people use and why ... I’m comfortable with both Mac (MBP) and Windows. I’ve never bothered with an post/edit tools ... hell I don’t even use filters on Instagram [emoji23]

Cheers

Hello and welcome from Ontario Canada to Mavic Pilots!
And enjoy your stay here, there is a wealth of information to be had so take your time and look around and enjoy reading all the great stuff you can do with your Mavic, :) Feel free to ask any questions you may have and remember the search tool is a great resource to see who may have had a similar issue or may offer a great tip.
Enjoy your day and happy flying :)

The biggest thing you can do is be consistent in your recording, Use the histogram and learn how to hit the best range. I only just started using nd filters this week and that makes a difference, same goes with the histogram, even though I am a big camera buff I never used live histograms before and find that's the easiest way to get consistent shots for post.

The easiest thing to do in post once you have consistent shots is to apply a LUT, I've tried most of the Video editors out there, Premiere, lightworks, resolve, a few basic tools, and I currently use Cyberlink powerdirector, I find it is the best compromise of all the other editors faults. It's easy to throw transitions onto and work with audio. It's also quite capable. I edit in 2.7k with an older laptop (5 years old) so I use shadowfile editing (when you import it automatically creates smaller res files to edit but renders the big files when you are done.

When editing your stills the same applies, I use photoshop for those and now apply LUT files for an instant look then tweak it from there with custom sharpening filter settings I have experimented with.

Once you get a quality image in (proper light, shutter speed and practice your smooth slow flying) post production is really simple after. I've had my mavic 2 months now, and it's always a learning process. I still don't know everything nor claim to ;)

Enjoy :)

My software:
360 stitching: PTGUI
Photo Editing: Photoshop cs6
Video Editing: Cyberlink PowerDirector 16

Hardware:
Drone: Mavic Pro
Laptop: Dell xps17 L702X (2011)
SD card: Stock (Sandisk extreme pro 64gb on the way)
ND filters: ND32 (nd4-16 on the way, all Neewer branded)

Examples: see my signature for youtube and 360 site links

Reactions: Timbo~SYD
IMO, the most important part of getting a quality end result for both video and stills, is to put in the time and effort to learn the right camera settings for any given set of conditions, so you don't have to spend all your time fixing things in post production, which inevitably means making sacrifices. I strongly recommend using both the histogram and turning on the over exposure warning, as well as getting a wide range of quality ND filters(I prefere Polar Pro). You don't absolutely have to buy all your ND filters at once, as they're expensive, but getting the ones you'll use most often first, and then the rest later, if financial circumstances dictate this. What software is best for both stills and video is a matter of taste, but I'd recommend taking into consideration Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop for stills, as well as Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve for video post production. Also, having the hardware to run these programs is very important to having a good work flow.IMO, the best hardware solution is to build your own system from the ground up, and hand picking each component. As an example I built my own desktop consisting of these components to avoid bottlenecks:
CPU:Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
GPU: nVidia Quadro P5000
RAM:64Gb of G. Skill Trident Z 3600MHz
Monitor:43" LG 4K monitor
P.S. Shooting video in D-log, and stills in RAW will give you the most post production freedom.

Last edited:
... Also, having the hardware to run these programs is very important to having a good work flow.IMO, the best hardware solution is to build your own system from the ground up, and hand picking each component. As an example I built my own desktop consisting of these components to avoid bottlenecks:
CPU:Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
GPU: nVidia Quadro P5000
RAM:64Gb of G. Skill Trident Z 3600MHz
Monitor:43" LG 4K monitor
P.S. Shooting video in D-log, and stills in RAW will give you the most post production freedom.

Wow ... do mine crypto currencies when you aren’t editing?

Thanks for the welcome Simmo!

I’ve been amazed what the MPP will do out of the box [emoji403]... but clearly it can produce a lot more if you do post production ... and learn how to create better input material!

Interested to know what s/w people use and why ... I’m comfortable with both Mac (MBP) and Windows. I’ve never bothered with an post/edit tools ... **** I don’t even use filters on Instagram [emoji23]

Cheers
What is Instagram?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98