DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck gimbal straight from the box

alan860

Reactions
I tried out a brand new MA2 today and kept getting a gimbal stuck error. The gimbal can be seen to move in response to turning the drone so it doesn’t seem to be stuck. Adjusting the dial on the controller has no effect whatsoever tho.

This particular aircraft was purchased from Amazon as brand new, but showed signs of being a returned unit (also now returned by me).

I have another on order and provided that is a new unit I want to ensure I don’t screw it up somehow. Is there anything I need to be aware of to make sure I don’t damage the aircraft at all? I already know I need to charge batteries individually, remove the gimbal cover and all the stickers etc. Anything else?

Also, has anyone any idea how the gimbal may have been stuck in the first place? In particular someone callled ‘Mavic Ben’ may know as they had named the aircraft lol.

I tried out a brand new MA2 today and kept getting a gimbal stuck error. The gimbal can be seen to move in response to turning the drone so it doesn’t seem to be stuck. Adjusting the dial on the controller has no effect whatsoever tho.

This particular aircraft was purchased from Amazon as brand new, but showed signs of being a returned unit (also now returned by me).

I have another on order and provided that is a new unit I want to ensure I don’t screw it up somehow. Is there anything I need to be aware of to make sure I don’t damage the aircraft at all? I already know I need to charge batteries individually, remove the gimbal cover and all the stickers etc. Anything else?

Also, has anyone any idea how the gimbal may have been stuck in the first place? In particular someone callled ‘Mavic Ben’ may know as they had named the aircraft lol.
Believe it or not it is usually a sticker or two that you missed, they hide them well, normally I believe it is near rear up in the gimbal,body area. Make sure you look all around with a flashlight and mag glass if needed.

Your suspicion that Amazon may have shipped you a previously opened/used item is not without merit. I have been an Amazon customer since 1998 and over the years I have returned several items that appeared to me to be used. Of course, Amazon has always made good on these issues.

Reactions: s2seyecle
Your suspicion that Amazon may have shipped you a previously opened/used item is not without merit. I have been an Amazon customer since 1998 and over the years I have returned several items that appeared to me to be used. Of course, Amazon has always made good on these issues.

If was definitely a returned item. The box had been opened and although nothing had been removed (that I could tell), the serial number would not let me buy dji refresh as the drone had been activated previously. When I switched it on and downloaded the ‘flight’ details Airdata reported the drone as being named ‘Mavic Ben’. The only issues I could see with it tho was the gimbal error (I couldn’t see any reason the gimbal was stuck, unless maybe the previous owner had damaged it (nothing obvious tho) and the gimbal was reacting as expected to the drone being moved by hand, and one battery didn’t seem to want to charge). Up until I saw the aircraft had been previously activated was was thinking of keeping it provided everything was ok, hence why I powered it up. Instantly then I knew it was being returned, Amazon so far has been fantastic in arranging the return, they have even put notes that a second unit I bought has not to be dispatched unless fully sealed in original cellophane. Still waiting on the original refund, and delivery of the second one mins you so this may end up an expensive exercise.

Something we started doing a long time back is to purchase Two of everything and if it not perfect , you have box number 2 and have found that this system works really well with Electronics especially.

To many people get a drone and than struggle to fix all the problems , once updated it should be good out of the box.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Reactions: alan860
If was definitely a returned item. The box had been opened and although nothing had been removed (that I could tell), the serial number would not let me buy dji refresh as the drone had been activated previously. When I switched it on and downloaded the ‘flight’ details Airdata reported the drone as being named ‘Mavic Ben’. The only issues I could see with it tho was the gimbal error (I couldn’t see any reason the gimbal was stuck, unless maybe the previous owner had damaged it (nothing obvious tho) and the gimbal was reacting as expected to the drone being moved by hand, and one battery didn’t seem to want to charge). Up until I saw the aircraft had been previously activated was was thinking of keeping it provided everything was ok, hence why I powered it up. Instantly then I knew it was being returned, Amazon so far has been fantastic in arranging the return, they have even put notes that a second unit I bought has not to be dispatched unless fully sealed in original cellophane. Still waiting on the original refund, and delivery of the second one mins you so this may end up an expensive exercise.
How did you manage to download the AC logs and update them back to Airdata? Airdata usually only collects logs on your mobile device or in your DJI account.

@alan860 any drone that is brand new from DJI will have a sealed cellophane wrapper on it undamaged ,and a sticker sealing the box inside the cellophane ,if all these factors cannot be met then it has been opened for some reason ,if you suspect that it is not a new product then just return it ,these drones are not cheap ,and you deserve to have one that has not been activated

@alan860 any drone that is brand new from DJI will have a sealed cellophane wrapper on it undamaged ,and a sticker sealing the box inside the cellophane ,if all these factors cannot be met then it has been opened for some reason ,if you suspect that it is not a new product then just return it ,these drones are not cheap ,and you deserve to have one that has not been activated

That’s what I think and have returned it. Hopefully this next one will be new or I give up til after lockdown, circa 2030 lol

Reactions: old man mavic
How did you manage to download the AC logs and update them back to Airdata? Airdata usually only collects logs on your mobile device or in your DJI account.

I powered it up and started the motors. It registered as a single 1min flight of 0ft. Let everything sync and Airdata showed some limited data.

Doesn't get much more used then that...

I realize this comment is late to the circumstances, but worth consideration when buying anything from Amazon. Many times Amazon is just the advertising or product presentation of an item for sale. I've noticed that the same items will be offered at very different pricing (sometimes shipping is free, other times very high, especially when the product price is lower than retail). Anyhow, I ALWAYS check to see if the product is Offered and Sold By Amazon as well as being eligible for Prime next day delivery. Not being offered as Prime, not being an amazon warehouse item leaves me suspect and I'm not likely to place an order.

[edit: And as others have said, Amazon "Warehouse" is an immediate avoid. If I want to take a chance with Used or Repackaged, I'll go to eBay.]

Last edited:
Reactions: alan860 and rp6
I realize this comment is late to the circumstances, but worth consideration when buying anything from Amazon. Many times Amazon is just the advertising or product presentation of an item for sale. I've noticed that the same items will be offered at very different pricing (sometimes shipping is free, other times very high, especially when the product price is lower than retail). Anyhow, I ALWAYS check to see if the product is Offered and Sold By Amazon as well as being eligible for Prime next day delivery. Not being offered as Prime, not being an amazon warehouse item leaves me suspect and I'm not likely to place an order.

[edit: And as others have said, Amazon "Warehouse" is an immediate avoid. If I want to take a chance with Used or Repackaged, I'll go to eBay.]
I had checked that, the Amazon warehouse ones were around £100 cheaper but no way I was risking those. It was a proper boot to the nuts having the cheeky twats send out a pre-registered one anyways. It was an Amazon prime unit and sent direct from Amazon warehouse so all the signs should have been good.

Yeah, I never ever buy photographic or expensive camera/drone equipment from Amazon. Years ago I was screwed and I learned my lesson. But directly fro DJI or Adorama or B&H.

Same thing has happened to us, bought from DJI.com store and gimbal error 40002 gimbal stuck. Brand new out of the box. Gimbal seems free but the RC won't even turn the gimbal left or right, up or down. When do gimbal calibration it stops at 10%. RC is also faulty I think as it constantly beeps. Will be returning to DJI repair shop.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun