DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid is as Stupid Does

B52-D

Reactions

Virginia Drone Pilot Sentenced for Buzzing Fire Station​

Unregistered Drone User Gets 2 Years of Probation

A drone pilot received his sentence for his part in "dive bombing" firefighters at a nearby Salem, Virginia fire station this week.

ADR-Drone-DJI-MAVIC2-110818d_tn.jpg

The incident occurred for "close to 10 minutes" in July 2019, when the pilot flew his unregistered drone around the fire station to chase police and firefighters. When they retreated into the buildind, he maneuvered it into the vehicle bay to follow. The firefighters sprung their trap then, closing the doors and leading the drone to strike the supports and crash to the floor. A perfect crime it was not, but the pilot sealed his fate when he went to the local police department hoping to recover his missing drone. His mastermind plan to tell the police "uh, a friend was flying it, wasn't me!" surprisingly failed to neutralize suspicion, and the police told him the drone had been seized as part of an investigation.

The pilot came clean to his part in the shenanigans, ultimately reaching the Roanoke federal court for his role. He was ordered to surrender the drone as part of a plea agreement that resulted in a 2-year stint of probation. He apologized for playing around, describing it as a stupid mistake. Those subjected to his swooping and weaving described it as more "annoying than dangerous" but the judge presiding over his case disagreed. She insisted there was a risk of true harm, because firefighters were distracted at a time when they were on call to respond to emergencies.

FMI: www.faa.gov/uas

.......for his part in "dive bombing" firefighters at a nearby Salem, Virginia fire station this week.

From that alone, was the offense commited last week or was the sentencing last week?

When I read the opening paragraph I thought "blimey that was processed quickly".....................

A drone pilot received his sentence for his part in "dive bombing" firefighters at a nearby Salem, Virginia fire station this week.

The incident occurred for "close to 10 minutes" in July 2019, when the pilot flew his unregistered drone around the fire station to chase police and firefighters. When they retreated into the buildind, he maneuvered it into the vehicle bay to follow. The firefighters sprung their trap then, closing the doors and leading the drone to strike the supports and crash to the floor. A perfect crime it was not, but the pilot sealed his fate when he went to the local police department hoping to recover his missing drone. His mastermind plan to tell the police "uh, a friend was flying it, wasn't me!" surprisingly failed to neutralize suspicion, and the police told him the drone had been seized as part of an investigation.

The pilot came clean to his part in the shenanigans, ultimately reaching the Roanoke federal court for his role. He was ordered to surrender the drone as part of a plea agreement that resulted in a 2-year stint of probation. He apologized for playing around, describing it as a stupid mistake. Those subjected to his swooping and weaving described it as more "annoying than dangerous" but the judge presiding over his case disagreed. She insisted there was a risk of true harm, because firefighters were distracted at a time when they were on call to respond to emergencies.

I'd say that reckless nitwit got off easy.

Another example of how additional rules and regulations are developed to prevent stupid activity like this from happening. Problem is, good judgement can’t be regulated into being.

Another example of how additional rules and regulations are developed to prevent stupid activity like this from happening. Problem is, good judgement can’t be regulated into being.
True, but enough enforcement of current regulations and publishing the results of the prosecution cases might have an effect on those that aren’t stupid and see the results of not flying responsibly.

Maybe a published wall of shame showing cases that are to appear before the court (minus names) and the charges. Then updated as to status as it moves through the courts.

I'd say that reckless nitwit got off easy.
A nitwit, to be sure, but I think the punishment fits the crime.

If the first responders who were the subject of the "attack" characterize it as a mere annoyance, I'm inclined to believe them.

TCS

Reactions: Joethedrone
A nitwit, to be sure, but I think the punishment fits the crime.

If the first responders who were the subject of the "attack" characterize it as a mere annoyance, I'm inclined to believe them.

TCS

When the incident was happening they were upset enough to try to knock the drone down with a broom and squirted it with a water hose to try to disable it.

It was hilarious that they trapped it inside the building by closing the doors after it followed them inside.

I can't agree that it was an annoyance. I certainly wouldn't consider it an annoyance if someone was buzzing me with a drone.

When the incident was happening they were upset enough to try to knock the drone down with a broom and squirted it with a water hose to try to disable it.

It was hilarious that they trapped it inside the building by closing the doors after it followed them inside.

I can't agree that it was an annoyance. I certainly wouldn't consider it an annoyance if someone was buzzing me with a drone.
I might, depending.

And if I did consider it be more than annoyance, I'd send my own drones out to smite it...

;-)

TCS

I’m just glad the judge didn’t take it as just an annoyance. Buzzing people with a drone is reckless and potentially dangerous. I would personally consider it to be assault and with contact battery could be added to the charge.

We as owners and pilots need to help get the message out that illegal and irresponsible drone flights are not acceptable. Flying fields did not tolerate that type of behavior and we shouldn’t tolerate it away from one either.

What a total moron!
And to go to the police station to recover it, is the ultimate in self centered stupidity…

Reactions: Madmyke
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada