Join Us Now

Stupid Question Time re M3 settings

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
RE:

EXP, Pitch, Yaw & Smoothness​

I have watched "Ian of London,", video on M3 Settings on how to adjust settings for gimbal pitch speed, rotation speed, smoothness as well as yaw rotation speed, and smoothness. I read through the entire Manual. I simply cannot find where to find these settings on my RC Pro.

His settings screen do not match mine. I cannot find the advanced settings under Control>Gimbal>Advanced settings. I am trying to set the following
Gimbal>Advanced pitch speed 18/s, smoothness 24,YAW rotation 32,smooth YAW smoothness 23. (e.g.: 18,24,32,23).

I simply cannot find these under the control menu. What am I doing wrong? Also cannot find the EXP "S" curve. Apparently it is only on Android? I use IOS. Here is a screen grab of my controller.

DaleM3 calibration.jpg

You need to update Fly, controller and drone. Then the setting is Gain and Expo Tuning. It will be right under the Units setting.

You need to update Fly, controller and drone. Then the setting is Gain and Expo Tuning. It will be right under the Units setting.
I updated one day after last release of all of the things you mentioned. (DJI Fly, RC Pr, M3).

Call DJI for help. They're usually pretty good on the phone, but not so much via writing.
When I got my Mini 2 there were issues and after some phone trouble shooting they declared it defective and had me send it in for a replacement. It took 2 weeks, but the replacement has been perfect.

I used to set my Exp to the lowest number with my Mavic 1, but with the Mavic 3 it seems very twitchy with similar settings even in Cinema mode. I am now setting the Exp curve to fully linear and it works better for me. This, combined with the rate and smoothness settings, gives us lots of control and can be set differently for each mode. I think that this is the sort of thing that everyone needs to experiment with for themselves. Take a full flying session to try all sorts of settings until you find the one that works for you.

Reactions: R.Cowan
Call DJI for help. They're usually pretty good on the phone, but not so much via writing.
When I got my Mini 2 there were issues and after some phone trouble shooting they declared it defective and had me send it in for a replacement. It took 2 weeks, but the replacement has been perfect.
I re-updated the DJI fly the RCPro
Still not getting the settings screen for gimbal yaw and rotation and speed
I’ll probably call DJI next week due the holidays
Btw happy thanksgiving
You have a lot to be thankful for and so do I
D
I used to set my Exp to the lowest number with my Mavic 1, but with the Mavic 3 it seems very twitchy with similar settings even in Cinema mode. I am now setting the Exp curve to fully linear and it works better for me. This, combined with the rate and smoothness settings, gives us lots of control and can be set differently for each mode. I think that this is the sort of thing that everyone needs to experiment with for themselves. Take a full flying session to try all sorts of settings until you find the one that works for you.
Joel:

My problem is that I have searched the menu until I am blue in the face and cannot find the EXP or other settings on my RC Pro. I have fully updated

DJI Fly App for IOS V 1.8.0
RC Pro Controller to V 03.01.1100
DJI Assistant 2 v2.1.13.

Here would be my preferred settings for normal

Pitch speed 18 degrees/second
pitch smoothing 24
YAW speed 32
YAW smoothing 23
but I cannot find these!!!!!

Can anyone help?

Dale

Btw happy thanksgiving
D

Joel:

My problem is that I have searched the menu until I am blue in the face and cannot find the EXP or other settings on my RC Pro. I have fully updated

DJI Assistant 2 v2.1.13.

pitch smoothing 24
YAW speed 32
YAW smoothing 23

Can anyone help?

Dale
I FOUND IT!!!!

Now that I have finally found where the settings are, here is what I am using for smooth flying in Normal mode for Mavic 3. Please, everyone, comment, on these settings. I am a calm and smooth flyer- not interested in speed. Here are the settings I have just entered.

Control>Gain & Expo Tuning>
AIRCRAFT>
Max horizontal speed 11.9mph
Max Ascent Speed. 13.42 mph
Max descent speed 13.42
Max angular velocity 71 degrees/sec
YAW smoothness. 19
Brake sensitivity 100
EXPO.
pitch/roll. 0.25
YAW 0.2
up/down 0.3

GIMBAL
Max control speed 17 degrees/sec
Tilt smoothness 23

Would really appreciate any input as to these settings for the M3.

Dale

Reactions: R.Cowan
Btw happy thanksgiving
D

Joel:

DJI Assistant 2 v2.1.13.

pitch smoothing 24
YAW speed 32
YAW smoothing 23

Can anyone help?

Dale
Dale,

It seems that a call to DJI is needed. I had lots of issues updating my app for both my TriplTek Android and my iPhone XR, but you have done this and verified your version so I am stumped. The location for this feature wasn’t obvious to me, but you are familiar enough with the app to have seen it. The only difference is that you are using the pro controller rather than the basic controller. I hope that DJI can help you.

Dale,

It seems that a call to DJI is needed. I had lots of issues updating my app for both my TriplTek Android and my iPhone XR, but you have done this and verified your version so I am stumped. The location for this feature wasn’t obvious to me, but you are familiar enough with the app to have seen it. The only difference is that you are using the pro controller rather than the basic controller. I hope that DJI can help you.
Joel:

I think you might have missed my latest post. I finally found the place where the settings are and here is what I wrote.
Still need help on what you think of these settings. I am a smooth calm flyer. No flying through holes for me.
I FOUND IT!!!!

Now that I have finally found where the settings are, here is what I am using for smooth flying in Normal mode for Mavic 3. Please, everyone, comment, on these settings. I am a calm and smooth flyer- not interested in speed. Here are the settings I have just entered.

AIRCRAFT>
Max horizontal speed 11.9mph
Max descent speed 13.42
YAW smoothness. 19
Brake sensitivity 100
EXPO.
pitch/roll. 0.25
YAW 0.2
up/down 0.3

GIMBAL
Tilt smoothness 23

Would really appreciate any input as to these settings for the M3.

Yes, I had missed that. I will go fly soon and note my current settings then try your settings to see how they compare and will provide feed back. The good news is that there is lots of adjustability to enable us to get this right. The bad news is that there is lots of adjustability to enable us to get this wrong.

Yes, I had missed that. I will go fly soon and note my current settings then try your settings to see how they compare and will provide feed back. The good news is that there is lots of adjustability to enable us to get this right. The bad news is that there is lots of adjustability to enable us to get this wrong.
The frustrating thing is that all of the current You Tube clips on M3 settings are all eliminated by the new update and th extensive amount of settings available. I could not get a good screen shot because I had to scroll so much to include all of the new settings. When you fly today, start with "CONTROL"> Gain and Expo tunings> and scroll from there. Perhaps make a screen shot of my new settings or comparison and let me know. Here is a copy/paste of what I set everything at

AIRCRAFT>
Max horizontal speed 11.9 mph
Max descent speed 13.42
YAW smoothness. 19
Brake sensitivity 100
EXPO.
pitch/roll. 0.25
YAW 0.2
up/down 0.3

GIMBAL
Tilt smoothness 23

I would love to see a screen shot of your EXP and Speed/smoothess settings for reference if you have a moment (please).

The frustrating thing is that all of the current You Tube clips on M3 settings are all eliminated by the new update and th extensive amount of settings available. I could not get a good screen shot because I had to scroll so much to include all of the new settings. When you fly today, start with "CONTROL"> Gain and Expo tunings> and scroll from there. Perhaps make a screen shot of my new settings or comparison and let me know. Here is a copy/paste of what I set everything at

AIRCRAFT>
Max descent speed 13.42
YAW smoothness. 19
Brake sensitivity 100
EXPO.
pitch/roll. 0.25
YAW 0.2
up/down 0.3

GIMBAL
Tilt smoothness 23
It won’t happen today, but will try tomorrow if the field where I do my testing isn’t overrun with RC planes.

I would love to see a screen shot of your EXP and Speed/smoothess settings for reference if you have a moment (please).
Joel
I just came back inside after another setting change
Basically I set everything manually downward while visualizing the M3 at eye level and set all the sliders way down to dampen all the movements

Joel
I just came back inside after another setting change
Basically I set everything manually downward while visualizing the M3 at eye level and set all the sliders way down to dampen all the movements
Here they are. For Normal. ( didn't;t bother to set Cine and Sport yet)
Max horizontal speed 33.56mph
Max ascent speed 12.42 mph
Max descent speed 13.42 mph
Max angular velocity 71 degrees/s
Yaw Smoothness 19
Brake sensitivity 100
Expo. Pitch/roll 0.32
YAW 0.2
up/down 0.33

Gimbal
Max control speed tilt 17 degree/s
Tilt smoothness 23

What are your thoughts?

Dale

AIRCRAFT>
Max descent speed 13.42
YAW smoothness. 19
Brake sensitivity 100
EXPO.
pitch/roll. 0.25
YAW 0.2
up/down 0.3

GIMBAL
Tilt smoothness 23
You know what I've found that is curious and you might find interesting, the speed and smoothness settings may depend on how close you are to the subject. The settings you need for far away shots may need to be faster or slower than when you're flying closer to subjects/objects. I wish I could visualize in my head which requires what and the weather is to yucky here to go out and fly to revisit my settings. But I suggest you put your bird up in the air a few feet and check the setting to nearby stuff, then put it up high for more real estate in the view finder and see what works. You may find that you need to adjust for different tasks. Just a thought. If I get a chance I'll see if I can go out for a few minutes and remember. I've been wanting to fly my Mini 2 for awhile but it's been alone in the case, but the batteriies were charged yesterday. Maybe I'll toss it off my balcony and pilot from inside later?

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

You know what I've found that is curious and you might find interesting, the speed and smoothness settings may depend on how close you are to the subject. The settings you need for far away shots may need to be faster or slower than when you're flying closer to subjects/objects. I wish I could visualize in my head which requires what and the weather is to yucky here to go out and fly to revisit my settings. But I suggest you put your bird up in the air a few feet and check the setting to nearby stuff, then put it up high for more real estate in the view finder and see what works. You may find that you need to adjust for different tasks. Just a thought. If I get a chance I'll see if I can go out for a few minutes and remember. I've been wanting to fly my Mini 2 for awhile but it's been alone in the case, but the batteriies were charged yesterday. Maybe I'll toss it off my balcony and pilot from inside later?

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.
Not sure I would buy into the yaw and other settings being different from far to near me. Now, everything is nice and slow.
We are enjoying great (actually, nearly summer like) weather. Blue skies and fluffy white clouds. Today it was 82 and humid going down to 70 tonight. I plan on finishing my video shoot of the Miami River mouth downtown on Sunday night when the garage parking rates are low.

Just edited this image from grandson visit in Santa Cruz, California.

Attachments

• Santa Cruz-sunset and Walton Lighthouse.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 8
Not sure I would buy into the yaw and other settings being different from far to near me. Now, everything is nice and slow.
We are enjoying great (actually, nearly summer like) weather. Blue skies and fluffy white clouds. Today it was 82 and humid going down to 70 tonight. I plan on finishing my video shoot of the Miami River mouth downtown on Sunday night when the garage parking rates are low.

Just edited this image from grandson visit in Santa Cruz, California.
Lucky you.
The best I can do in the next few weeks is possibly fly down to Nashviille. Hopefully it will be nicer than here.

Dale- I went out and recorded my normal mode current setting (JP ver 1), changed to your settings, then modified again to JP ver 2. It was a bit of challenge today where I fly to test features because I had to share the field with one RC plane, an RC jet, and a man training his lab for duck hunting.

Normal ModeJP ver 1Dale's settingsJP ver 2
Max horizontal speed33.56 mph11.9mph33.56 mph
Max ascent speed13.42 mph13.42 mph13.42 mph
Max decent speed13.42 mph13.42 mph13.42 mph
Max angular velocity30 deg/sec71 deg/sec72 deg/sec
YAW smoothness611918
Brake sensitivity1010010
Expo
pitch/roll0.50.250.46
YAW0.520.20.49
up/down0.520.30.46
Gimbal
Max control speed30 deg/sec17 deg/sec17 deg/sec
Tilt smoothness232323

I feel that for normal mode which I often fly at 50-100 feet of elevation that 11.9 mph is too slow. That is more like my cine setting. I agree with the default setting for ascent or descent as you have these set. If I need to outclimb a hawk I would switch to sport where I set these to max. For max angular velocity I find that my setting was too low for normal and keep a lower setting for cine mode. My YAW smoothness caused excessive overshoot, so I changed it to your setting and like that better. For brake sensitivity I had it much lower, tried yours and returned it to 10. I have that high setting in sport. This is the setting that I find most twitchy on the M3. Even at 10 it stops too abruptly unless I am extra gentle on the stick. Frankly I don't see enough difference between 100 and 10 to suit my taste. Of course, the gimbal smooths this out significantly, but I would prefer it to be smooth without the gimbal correction.

As for EXP I have tried these highly nonlinear settings and tried again with your settings, but I prefer the fully linear settings that I have been using and then I don't need to guess about where I am on the stick to know what to expect.

For the gimbal I tried your gimbal control speed which is about half of what I had been using and prefer this to what I had. I think that the setting for tilt smoothness that you have minimizes the overshoot while still being smooth enough.

To properly test these settings, I need to fly a route and shoot video and then judge how it turns out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne