DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SUA on Kitty Hawk app in my area

Sorry to be obtuse. I am a new pilot, haven't yet started my Mavic 2 Pro. Based on my poor ability to fly a cheap tiny Whoop, I am concerned that there isn't enough space at my house to learn to fly the Mavic.
I own a business in Baytown Tx, so I looked up it's location in the Kitty Hawk app and discovered that it's in a SUA. I then went on the FAA's SUA website and didn't see the area (it's A-381).
So, I was confused and frustrated. I am studying for Part 107 so I know that there are rules about where you can fly, when you have to get a waiver or an authorization, etc.

When I got no response here, I asked the Kitty Hawk folks. I promptly got an answer (!!) and it appears I am good to go with my practice as long as I am watchful of traffic. This area is very near the port of Houston and there is a lot of heli traffic supporting rigs out in the Gulf of Mexico. The businesses that service the rigs are nowhere close to my shop, so there probably will never be a problem.

Hopefully this clarifies my original dumb post. Comments appreciated if I am misunderstanding rules.

Got it
The whoop is a much more difficult drone to fly
The mavic will be much easier.
If you have never flown it before, be sure you are well prepared. Read the manual, start in beginners mode, watch you tube videos, and set the home point

Got it
The whoop is a much more difficult drone to fly
The mavic will be much easier.
If you have never flown it before, be sure you are well prepared. Read the manual, start in beginners mode, watch you tube videos, and set the home point
Drone on,
Thank you.
I should have known that a tiny plastic Whoop would be difficult to fly...but kids on YouTube seem to zip them around with no problem. After all, the internet never lies.

I will be closely reading the owner's manual before I even fire this baby up; couldn't stomach the damage I might inflict otherwise.
And, yes, I scour YouTube for anything I can find about beginning flying of the Mavic; however, I am rather leery given my history of YTer's ease of flying the Whoops.

I appreciate your advice, thanks again.

Drone on,
Thank you.
I should have known that a tiny plastic Whoop would be difficult to fly...but kids on YouTube seem to zip them around with no problem. After all, the internet never lies.

I will be closely reading the owner's manual before I even fire this baby up; couldn't stomach the damage I might inflict otherwise.
And, yes, I scour YouTube for anything I can find about beginning flying of the Mavic; however, I am rather leery given my history of YTer's ease of flying the Whoops.

I appreciate your advice, thanks again.
Here are a couple of outdated (still helpful) starter videos. The second one is to give you pause from buying too many accessories

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov