DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sucked in by the hype videos...

But it is better than the Mavic Pro. No camera issues (at present) and pretty much the same quality. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, faster, better looking, better ESCs. The only pros the Mavic Pro has going for it is that it can fly further with Octusync but 1.5miles on 5.8Ghz on the Mavic Air is more then plenty as it far surpasses the guidelines of flying the drone in the first place. It's a Mavic Pro killer. The Mavic Pro 2 will be a Mavic Air killer if you want to spend the extra cash and are stuck with choosing between both of them.

You make some good points. Although I’m never going to give any thought to what it looks like. It’s a drone. I’m not going to look up at it and admire its aesthetic attributes.

Don’t forget the Air’s battery life is significantly shorter that the Pro’s. Battery life is probably one of the most important issues for any drone.

The Air is a good first drone if you don’t already own a Pro. But I can’t see the point of a Pro owner paying out to downgrade to an Air.

Last edited:
Like I said in another post, not many MP/MPP owners will change to the Air as that's mostly a disregard for money
100% agree
Then why is the Mavic Pro showing signs of being heavily discounted (Costco) already?
Costco has been discounting the Mavic since they 1st offered it for sale.

You make some good points. Although I’m never going to give any thought to what it looks like. It’s a drone. I’m not going to look up and it and admire its aesthetic attributes.

Don’t forget the Air’s battery life is significantly shorter that the Pro’s. Battery life is probably one of the most important issues for any drone.

The Air is a good first drone if you don’t already own a Pro. But I can’t see the point of a Pro owner paying out to downgrade to an Air.

Yes battery is a valid point but it being important would be subjective I'd say. When I was a beginner at drones then yeah I needed more time because I was fumbling about trying to get it into position and flying it straight etc but as I've got better the times not so much of an issue for me now - unless we're talking about the Spark which I wanted but held off because of the battery. Also I've got a P4P to go with my Air so the Air is for B roll, on my soon to come vlogs/shorts movies, for fun and for the hill walks so I don't imagine it'll need a much longer battery life plus I have the fly more package. The pros and cons we're talking about will be different for everyone though. This is just our opinions of course :) either way have fun and get what you need.

Hi guys!

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Mavic Air?

Obviously (as most people do) I was sucked in by all the hype videos on YouTube. I'm looking at this drone thinking to myself, that's the drone I've really been missing and it looks a lot more fun that my Mavic Pro.

But then a few days go by and you start reading more about it and more people are reviewing it on YouTube and giving the negatives.

It just really annoys me that these companies give the famous YouTubers products to try and review and because they are just desperate for views, they will not say a bad thing about it (ijustine, casey n, etc) and make out like the product is the best thing to ever be made.

Don't get me wrong, the Air looks awesome but is it worth getting or waiting on the Mavic Pro 2?
I said it about a month ago and Ill say it again...ITS JUST A GIMICK

LOL, the AIr has the P4P video processor chip and the Pro has the older P4 standard model processing chip. The AIR is a step forward whether you want to accept it or not. I sold my P4 standard and got the Air. I basically have a folding P4P. Not a gimmick for me! The problem with MP owners is they are now flying an inferior camera system and will HAVE to upgrade to even match the picture quality of the P4P and the Air.

The dreamed about MP2 will have to upgrade to an equal or jump ahead in terms of camera and it will have to have rear collision too. I am guessing that it will jump ahead and move inspire owners to a folding option.

There is a lot of discussion comparing the Mavic Pro and MPP to the Air, a lot, with emotion, obviously by those of us who are serious drone hobbyists if not professional photographers. We are actually in two camps: those of us who just fly for fun and good photos/video and those who fly for a living, making money with their photos/video. Those folks are more interested in the photo/video quality. I am in the other group. The only reason I would upgrade to anything is for better flight time and a monitor built in to the controller. A smaller foldable size, yes, would be convenient, but it is not bad now all packed into a small shoulder pack. You can be sure those things I mentioned are coming. Battery technology is advancing. There will always be a better drone. It just takes time. Technology is actually advancing at a rapid pace. You'll be fortunate to be pleased with what you have for even a year.

Reactions: mavicfly

Drone Film Guide got (bought) theirs and took it for a spin. They are very much interested in the video production side of things and seem mostly impressed with it.
These guys are great, and their review of the Air is completely unbiased and honest.

Reactions: Callum
Anything you'd specifically like to see? I'm thinking of either doing a video or writing a large thread post about it. I'm awaiting delivery of mine.

I'll be doing:

- JPEG photos.
- DNG photos, unedited and edited.
- Video footage without filters as Polar Pro don't ship for nearly another two weeks.

I was pretty sure that Best Buy had the filters in stock. I could be wrong if course.

Last edited:
These guys are great, and their review of the Air is completely unbiased and honest.

Interesting. I do think they inadvertantly highlighted the difference between a 2.2 and a 2.8 lens when the light starts to go away.

I think that's mostly because they view drones as a tool to complete their professional work as opposed to an extension of their personality or other physical appendages. In that respect, they can see a great many uses for it.

I think that's mostly because they view drones as a tool to complete their professional work as opposed to an extension of their personality or other physical appendages. In that respect, they can see a great many uses for it.
They certainly do. I’ve followed their videos from the start and learned a lot from them. This is the first review of a product they’ve done, but I trust their opinions because, as you rightly said, drones are a tool to them, not a fly farther, go faster, reach higher ego boost.

I knew exactly what I was getting, mostly everything you buy is chance taken. I look it as this. I'm going to buy it with all it's pluses and minuses. If I get the perfectly working drone great... if it's not perfect oh well, it's not going to bankrupt me. I will sell it and take a little lost instead of the Total amount lost. I will forget about it in a short time and buy another type and hope that's a homerun. If not, i will sell it and so on. The Mavic Air i ordered will be in my hands soon and i hope it's a homerun to me. I will consider buying the Mav Pro 2 if it really exsists and use the same philosopy....

I knew exactly what I was getting, mostly everything you buy is chance taken. I look it as this. I'm going to buy it with all it's pluses and minuses. If I get the perfectly working drone great... if it's not perfect oh well, it's not going to bankrupt me. I will sell it and take a little lost instead of the Total amount lost. I will forget about it in a short time and buy another type and hope that's a homerun. If not, i will sell it and so on. The Mavic Air i ordered will be in my hands soon and i hope it's a homerun to me. I will consider buying the Mav Pro 2 if it really exsists and use the same philosopy....

That's a good philosophy. I'm surprised that some of these guys ever purchased anything in their lives. It's like they want to spend $100 and but a drone that has a Red quality camera, Be the size of a pack of gum, have military drone range/flight time, be indestructible, fly at 100 mph, etc.

I bought the Mavic Pro early last year. I use it only for when I travel. I thought it would be small enough, but I had issues with having it in my backpack (I bring photography gear with me as well) and was always wishing it was just alittle bit smaller. The Mavic Air seems to be exactly I was looking for in terms of Camera quality with compact size. THAT is why I went with the Air. I will be selling my Pro very soon. I do not have experience with WIFI compared to Radio controllers, but I usually fly in remote areas (D.C./VA isnt very drone friendly).

D.C. no... but there are plenty of places to fly on VA. Just gotta get past the airport.

Hi guys!

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Mavic Air?

Obviously (as most people do) I was sucked in by all the hype videos on YouTube. I'm looking at this drone thinking to myself, that's the drone I've really been missing and it looks a lot more fun that my Mavic Pro.

But then a few days go by and you start reading more about it and more people are reviewing it on YouTube and giving the negatives.

It just really annoys me that these companies give the famous YouTubers products to try and review and because they are just desperate for views, they will not say a bad thing about it (ijustine, casey n, etc) and make out like the product is the best thing to ever be made.

Don't get me wrong, the Air looks awesome but is it worth getting or waiting on the Mavic Pro 2?

Wait.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_