DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden camera move...

pahas

Reactions
Today i flew with my Mavic 3 and soon after take off, the camera did 2 sudden turns followed by a much smaller one.

Here is the video:

Any idea why this happened? I have never seen it before or later during the same flight...

Thanks in advance

I don’t have the M3, but I have seen this in other DJI products when flying sideways. (If I’m seeing the correct direction in the video)

In sideways flight, it is possible to hit the gimbal stop. I haven't ever seen it on my M3 though. It was more common on the Phantoms. Was this in Sport mode? Hitting the gimbal stop usually requires flying into the wind sideways at high speed, but it looks super glassy on the water, so likely no wind. If you weren’t in Sport mode and there was no wind, you might have a defective gimbal. Keep an eye on it and try replicating it. Could have just been a fluke!

The lighting the M3 captures is incredible, though! Thumbswayup

In sideways flight, it is possible to hit the gimbal stop. I haven't ever seen it on my M3 though. It was more common on the Phantoms. Was this in Sport mode? Hitting the gimbal stop usually requires flying into the wind sideways at high speed, but it looks super glassy on the water, so likely no wind. If you weren’t in Sport mode and there was no wind, you might have a defective gimbal. Keep an eye on it and try replicating it. Could have just been a fluke!

The lighting the M3 captures is incredible, though! Thumbswayup
Thanks!

It was in normal mode and no wind.. After that i few couple of minutes sideways and there was no issue. I will keep an eye for it and hope it is not an issue...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm having similar issues during lateral flights (like when taking hyperlapses) often :(

Reactions: pahas
Have you contacted DJI?
No. Useless at this point. I have contacted them previously on other M3 issues, and the result was always the same: they would request logs, have some sort of troubles accessing them for a couple of weeks since neither Dropbox nor WeTransfer apparently work in China, and finally would say somehting like "we have forwarded them to our engineers, stay tuned". Major waste of my time, zero resolution. This should be a part of the normal QA process, so they can get all the test cases themselves.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No. Useless at this point. I have contacted them previously on other M3 issues, and the result was always the same: they would request logs, have some sort of troubles accessing them for a couple of weeks since neither Dropbox nor WeTransfer apparently work in China, and finally would say somehting like "we have forwarded them to our engineers, stay tuned". Major waste of my time, zero resolution. This should be a part of the normal QA process, so they can get all the test cases themselves.
Agree. Makes me wonder whether i should try contacting them.. If they get back to you please let us know..

Today i flew with my Mavic 3 and soon after take off, the camera did 2 sudden turns followed by a much smaller one.

Here is the video:

Any idea why this happened? I have never seen it before or later during the same flight...

Thanks in advance
Do you have a message like „side impact detected“ in that moment in your log? I had this message 2 times when flying sideways … but there was no such impact, I had clear VLOS on the drone.

It just seemed to have detected an object and braked very fast. I did not record video in that moment but I think they could have been very shaky like yours do because of the sudden movement the gimbal may have problems to compensate.

During my flights I was over normal terrain but I think in your case, the reflecting surface could also be a cause for the drone to „see“ a ghost object mid-air.

Last edited:

Here is the video:

Thanks in advance
I'm flying the Mavic 2 but the symptoms look very similar to what I experienced. It quickly progressed to showing vibration in little to no wind in a forward flight and momentary loss of gimbal control in sideways flight. It was a bad gimbal and would only show up every blue moon:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming