DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden power loss Mini 2

Thanks everyone for your replies. All good advice. Apologies I can't find the link to the canyon video (it came up in my feed before) as the whole world and their dog appears to be posting mini 2 advice videos. Perhaps burma419 could let us know the link. Unfortunately I'm too impatient and couldn't be doing with the excessive wait so have written off the DJI replacement. As the drone is off to the Netherlands I can't upload the logs. I'll chalk it up to experience I guess.
I can report that communication with DJI could be better though. I have had discussions and contact through many different sources including the email service, the forum on DJI itself, the resales chat bot and someone who telephoned me from DJI. They all contradict each other and give different advice which leads to a sense of unease which is not helpful. It feels like unless the thing is actually in my possession anything can happen and they will not accept any responsibility. I had this feeling from first ordering it as it got held up in shipping that took longer than expected.
As hiflier201 says I'm checking on its progress regularly to make sure it gets to its destination. I do not feel confident that DJI (and I fully understand I'm just one anonymous person who has paid their money and they probably would prefer out of their hair) really care what happens here as they have my money. I have asked for them to check my drone but have paid for the express service. They have already sent me a message stating that the express service is a "privilege" and I can either have that or the drone inspection service (I have pointed out that the fact I have paid for the service does not make it a "privilege" and they actually save money at their end if they do not even inspect the drone afterwards: I'd hate to think someone gets that one not checked as refurbished but with a new gimbal).
Trying not to make this a rant as it's not usually my nature. but thought it might be helpful to people such as Yogi053 who has asked.

I've seen it in so many other forums. Good drones (when they work) but support could be improved and all in all this is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth.

From now on I will be buying direct from a shop where I can visit, pay and have it physically in my hands plus there is someone to talk to directly if there are any problems.

Will keep everyone updated if you want.

Lets hope in a couple of weeks I'll be looking back on this and wondering what the fuss is about and starting to post my own how high, how fast, how wind resistant........videos.

Thank you again to all of you who have responded. All very valid points and I fully accept that my impatience is my downfall.

The discussion starts at about the 23 minute mark

FWIW, the log file (if you'd like to share it) is located on the mobile device you connected to your remote.
I'll try to share. Can you point me to any tutorials on how to do this? Had a message that my drone has reached the DJI repair centre in Netherlands. Not sure if they will look at it or let me know as I have requested the express return.

The discussion starts at about the 23 minute mark
Thanks. Will be interested to know what happens with mine but I assume they will replace and I'll ever know. Unlike this chap I don't have other drones to mess with whilst mine is away. Will just be pleased when it comes back and I can be mithering you all on the forums for advice on tips for flying. I have asked DJI to look at the drone and report back but as I said above it is definitely either / or as far as DJI is concerned despite the extra cost I had to pay.

Thanks. Will be interested to know what happens with mine but I assume they will replace and I'll ever know. Unlike this chap I don't have other drones to mess with whilst mine is away. Will just be pleased when it comes back and I can be mithering you all on the forums for advice on tips for flying. I have asked DJI to look at the drone and report back but as I said above it is definitely either / or as far as DJI is concerned despite the extra cost I had to pay.
When they replace it, which they will, you will have to activate it before you can fly it. You will have the opportunity to purchase the refresh program again, as it is a “new” drone. You can determine if is a new or refurbished model by looking at the serial number. If it has the letter”r” in the serial number, then you have received a refurbished unit. They will not repair your drone, you’ll be sent another drone out as soon as the drone you’ve sent in arrives...literally the same day. It is normally a VERY quick turnaround! If the shipper is slow, that is really out of DJI’s hands, and not their fault.

It will be an early Christmas when it does arrive!!! Fly safe.

For android & windows connect your phone to a computer via USB and look in the folder path
Computer/phone-name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord or see DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

One point did you check the battery was secure or try a second battery if you have one? Sorry I haven't gone through all your posts so you may have addressed this already.

With regards to your concerns about stopping the motors in mid air.
I do not have a Mini 2 and I do not have the 1.2 version of the FLY app installed but, assuming things are similar to the MM and from p36 of the manual it looks to be so, I think those fears are unnecessary.
If the relevant setting was the default? one you can not stop the motors in mid air unless the drone thinks it is in an emergency situation (by which time I think it would already be falling). You need to switch the CSC response to "Anytime" to be able to stop the motors in mid air at solely your discretion.
In "emergency only" mode I have brought an MM down from 100m+ with the sticks in the CSC position and the motors DID NOT stop. The descent rate was that applicable to the flight mode and it even slowed its descent as it descended into the working range of the VPS. As soon as the sticks were released, around 2m, it hovered.
I did a low level test in C (slow) flight mode and in the "Anytime" response mode and the motors stopped after the CSC position had been held for around 2 seconds. The latter is too short a delay in my opinion so the drone was switched back to "emergency only" mode

You will have the opportunity to purchase the refresh program again, as it is a “new” drone.
If replaced under care refresh surely the old care refresh continues for one more replacement, doesn't it? If not then things have changed since I got mine on my MM.
Similarily if replaced under warranty there should be two replacements left under the original care refresh. It would be a swizz it it did not.

I queried a serial number containing an R with DJI (an ebayed MM) and was informed it was not a refurbished drone.

If replaced under care refresh surely the old care refresh continues for one more replacement, doesn't it? If not then things have changed since I got mine on my MM.
Similarily if replaced under warranty there should be two replacements left under the original care refresh. It would be a swizz it it did not.

I queried a serial number containing an R with DJI (an ebayed MM) and was informed it was not a refurbished drone.
If the drone is replaced under warranty, you are correct. There will still be 2 replacements still available under the refresh program.

For android & windows connect your phone to a computer via USB and look in the folder path
Computer/phone-name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v5/FlightRecord or see DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

One point did you check the battery was secure or try a second battery if you have one? Sorry I haven't gone through all your posts so you may have addressed this already.

With regards to your concerns about stopping the motors in mid air.
I do not have a Mini 2 and I do not have the 1.2 version of the FLY app installed but, assuming things are similar to the MM and from p36 of the manual it looks to be so, I think those fears are unnecessary.
If the relevant setting was the default? one you can not stop the motors in mid air unless the drone thinks it is in an emergency situation (by which time I think it would already be falling). You need to switch the CSC response to "Anytime" to be able to stop the motors in mid air at solely your discretion.
In "emergency only" mode I have brought an MM down from 100m+ with the sticks in the CSC position and the motors DID NOT stop. The descent rate was that applicable to the flight mode and it even slowed its descent as it descended into the working range of the VPS. As soon as the sticks were released, around 2m, it hovered.
I did a low level test in C (slow) flight mode and in the "Anytime" response mode and the motors stopped after the CSC position had been held for around 2 seconds. The latter is too short a delay in my opinion so the drone was switched back to "emergency only" mode
Thanks for taking the time to reply,
I tried two different batteries and the power loss happened with both and both were secure. I assume its was a faulty drone but I'll never know. I was impatient and requested the express service. I did request that DJI let me know the result of any analysis of the returned drone but they are very inflexible. Despite the amiable and courteous interaction I have with the public facing staff it is always a very polite no when they are asked to deviate from the corporate pathways in place.
Hopefully my replacement arrives tomorrow and I can put this behind me.

Many thanks again for your reply. It is very helpful and useful. I found the record on my phone in the DJI app and I could not see that I made any moves that would precipitate an engine cutout.

Chalk this one up to experience I guess.

At least the delay in getting the drone up in the air has given me time to read a lot and now start my A2-CofC course.

So, if anyone is interested.....
Drone back today. I presume a new replacement as it came in a dedicated box with a cellophane cover on it. Nothing else in the box though so it could be a refurbishmment who knows?

Timings:

Requested DJI Care Replacement and Paid for express service: 22nd November
Drone sent to Netherlands Monday 23rd November
Reached Netherlands Weds 25th November
Replacement dispatched 26th November
Into UK 27th November
Back to me 1st December

As above, as long as you do not deviate from DJI policy the service runs smoothly. The courier is the rate limiting step. Do not expect the DJI team to respond and adapt to anything you ask them other than getting stock answers to keep you happy. There is no individual service.

Thank you to everyone who has given helpful advice. It was appreciated.

It is a very smooth process. Had to send in my Mavic Pro back in 2017. Exactly two weeks from sending to getting it back in my hands. Looked brand new but was refurbished. It has been the best drone every.

So, if anyone is interested.....
Drone back today. I presume a new replacement as it came in a dedicated box with a cellophane cover on it. Nothing else in the box though so it could be a refurbishmment who knows?

Timings:

Requested DJI Care Replacement and Paid for express service: 22nd November
Drone sent to Netherlands Monday 23rd November
Reached Netherlands Weds 25th November
Replacement dispatched 26th November
Into UK 27th November
Back to me 1st December

As above, as long as you do not deviate from DJI policy the service runs smoothly. The courier is the rate limiting step. Do not expect the DJI team to respond and adapt to anything you ask them other than getting stock answers to keep you happy. There is no individual service.

Thank you to everyone who has given helpful advice. It was appreciated.
If the serial number has the letter “r”, then it is a refurbished unit. If not, then it is a brand new unit.

Sounds like all went well. Safe flying!

The "express service" term can be easily misunderstood. It doesn't mean you'll be put ahead of the line for service. It simply means you don't need/want a warranty/repair evaluation and just get the AC replaced. You're not paying anything extra for the express service, you're just paying for the refresh in advance.

So when express was chosen, you chose to waive having yours evaluated.

The "express service" term can be easily misunderstood. It doesn't mean you'll be put ahead of the line for service. It simply means you don't need/want a warranty/repair evaluation and just get the AC replaced. You're not paying anything extra for the express service, you're just paying for the refresh in advance.

So when express was chosen, you chose to waive having yours evaluated.
Yep realise that,
Got the drone in the air today and all seems to work well.

Like I said I'll put this behind me but if what you are saying is correct I just paid DJI £49 for doing less than they should do or would have done otherwise. Might be a good drone but doesn't make me want to buy another one.

Hopefully I can now interact with the forums with a more positive outlook.

The concept of Refresh is insurance. You buy the insurance for about 10% the cost of the drone. Then you have a 10% deductible for each of the two replacements.

Express is for a quick turnaround when you know you need a refresh because it's clearly not a warranty issue and repair might be too costly.
Evaluations can take several days to a week.

The concept of Refresh is insurance. You buy the insurance for about 10% the cost of the drone. Then you have a 10% deductible for each of the two replacements.

Express is for a quick turnaround when you know you need a refresh because it's clearly not a warranty issue and repair might be too costly.
Evaluations can take several days to a week.
As I said,
Yes I realise that thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka