DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions for ND filter for Mavic Mini

tg40270

Reactions
I need help for some suggestion about ND filter It can help for make a nice photo and video? I just try to used UV filter by PGYTech and it good and better more than i didn't used them.

so I need some suggestion about ND filter are gonna be ok? or doesn't matter?

Thank you for you help.

TG.

I'm not trying to start controversy, but...

I can see how ND graduated filter on DSLR might help with a bright sky, but I don't think they have graduated filters for little tiny MM drone cams? (I might be wrong, those could be handy)

Are you flying in some extremely bright sun conditions and need to bring shutter speed down and lowering EV by -3 is not an option?

People talk about drone polarizers, but how will they use them? They can't turn the ring, or there is some servo mechanical ring turning? (serious question, I know how polarizers work)

I have a feeling all the filter talk is just money grab at the store, most if not all can be done fairly easily in post.

I'm a photographer, I have a few DSLRs full set of Canon L lenses. At the very beginning, I had almost every filter you can imagine, then after a while, I have completely stopped using them, there was just no need beside few rare situations like flowing water effect during the day with very strong ND but you need solid tripod and ball head for that, those still look much better when it is dark and under natural light, when shadows are much softer or nonexistent.

Besides blur effects, no matter how much you spend on the filter it will always vary slightly decrease the quality of the very good sharp lens (I have done many brick wall tests with best quality UV filters). I might occasionally use UV as a protector in a bad environment. Filters might help on DSLR if you do not plan to do anything in the post, in very specific situations. But on the drone, I just can't think of the situation.

Take ND64 that filter will just butcher quality of the photo, but it might still be acceptable in a smaller resolution, it will add 6 stops to your exposure. If you want to create a nice water effect MM will not be able to be steady enough to make foreground sharp, maybe for some small resolution like Instagram, but still, MM moves a lot...

Can someone post an example photo where a drone filter would make a difference (don't post pics from filter ads just your photo)? With Lightroom\photoshop and ability to process 100s of photos with few clicks is it worth playing with filters?

I can see how ND graduated filter on DSLR might help with a bright sky, but I don't think they have graduated filters for little tiny MM drone cams? (I might be wrong, those could be handy)

Are you flying in some extremely bright sun conditions and need to bring shutter speed down and lowering EV by -3 is not an option?

People talk about drone polarizers, but how will they use them? They can't turn the ring, or there is some servo mechanical ring turning? (serious question, I know how polarizers work)

I have a feeling all the filter talk is just money grab at the store, most if not all can be done fairly easily in post.

I'm a photographer, I have a few DSLRs full set of Canon L lenses. At the very beginning, I had almost every filter you can imagine, then after a while, I have completely stopped using them, there was just no need beside few rare situations like flowing water effect during the day with very strong ND but you need solid tripod and ball head for that, those still look much better when it is dark and under natural light, when shadows are much softer or nonexistent.

Besides blur effects, no matter how much you spend on the filter it will always vary slightly decrease the quality of the very good sharp lens (I have done many brick wall tests with best quality UV filters). I might occasionally use UV as a protector in a bad environment. Filters might help on DSLR if you do not plan to do anything in the post, in very specific situations. But on the drone, I just can't think of the situation.

Take ND64 that filter will just butcher quality of the photo, but it might still be acceptable in a smaller resolution, it will add 6 stops to your exposure. If you want to create a nice water effect MM will not be able to be steady enough to make foreground sharp, maybe for some small resolution like Instagram, but still, MM moves a lot...

Can someone post an example photo where a drone filter would make a difference (don't post pics from filter ads just your photo)? With Lightroom\photoshop and ability to process 100s of photos with few clicks is it worth playing with filters?

thank you for your idea and i want to see example photo from MM with ND or NDPL / CPL filter too.

PGYTECH is making one, but I don't think it's been released in the U.S. yet.

Reactions: tg40270
PGYTECH is making one, but I don't think it's been released in the U.S. yet.

thank you and i just get UV filter from them it not bad and i wanna try ND filter but they are sold out right now should be back in stock on couple weeks

I believe it was PGYTECH that recalled theirs as the gimbal couldn't handle it.

There is a purpose for ND filters in video so that the shutter speed is close to 2x the frame rate. This is to achieve a smoother motion and helps minimize prop shadowing in the image at low sun angles.

CPL can cut glare from reflective surfaces.

I believe it was PGYTECH that recalled theirs as the gimbal couldn't handle it.

There is a purpose for ND filters in video so that the shutter speed is close to 2x the frame rate. This is to achieve a smoother motion and helps minimize prop shadowing in the image at low sun angles.

CPL can cut glare from reflective surfaces.

CPL - circular polarizing filter how can I use that on the drone? For best results you need 90 angles between subject and sun, on DSLR it is easy to judge, but can I do it on the drone?, Also how will I fine tweak it and rotate the CPL ring for optimal polarization, I can't pre-set it and fly, that will not yield any good results, when I shoot steady subject with DSLR and move just a bit I often have to readjust the polarization, on the drone we have constant movement is there any way to rotate that filter form the ground?

Do you have any footage with ND filter to see the difference I would love to get the better cinematographic look, 24fps is best for that? To hit a constant shutter of 1/50 with MM camera we are talking steady subject and steady not changing light conditions, once I start turning around it will all change, do I shoot manual or in Auto. To me it seems it can be used for a very specific shoot where we totally expect what light we will encounter and all the conditions, not flying around and shooting everything on our way. Shooting with DSLR is easy as I can measure light and pick the right ND filter for the job. How can I determine what filter to pick ND4,8,16,32,64 without first sending the drone up and measuring light on the subject?

I totally understand how ND CPL works, but I have a feeling they are useless for simple flying and filming around, they might help for very specific shots and situations when we control light and subject.
Any footage would be appreciated.

Do you happen to have a link to any articles that discuss the PGYTECH problem?
It's here in the forum a couple of pages down. Don't be shy to use the search function. You would be amazed how many links and info you can find.

Tiffen is just releasing some filters for the Mini.
lighter

As a pro photographer for over 30 years I agree. I had a PL filter, a ND for water flow and a UV to protect the lens if working in splashing salt water environment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev