DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sun tracking apps?

Reactions
Hi All,
I am trying to wade through the App Store looking for an app that will let me "see" where the sun will be in relation to what I plan on shooting. There are a handful of well reviewed apps out there and I am wondering if there is a consensus on which is "best" for drone use? Or just the most popular and why? I already know that with my dyslexia trying to learn Photo Pills is not going to happen ? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi All,
I am trying to wade through the App Store looking for an app that will let me "see" where the sun will be in relation to what I plan on shooting. There are a handful of well reviewed apps out there and I am wondering if there is a consensus on which is "best" for drone use? Or just the most popular and why? I already know that with my dyslexia trying to learn Photo Pills is not going to happen ? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!
The one I use is called Sun Surveyor I think it might be a little simpler (for better or worse) than Photo Ephemeris but maybe a little easier to use as well. One feature it has that I really like is augmented reality. You can see where the sun will be overlaid on your camera view of the real world at the time you choose.

This one is nice if running Android.

It has sun tracking and a shadow projector to plan future shots.

The last time I checked it wasn't in the App Store.

Planit for Photographers actually has a 3D model that shows you from any location where the sun will be at any time with accurate terrain rendering...amazing stuff. Watch the videos on YouTube. You can in advance predict where you need to be to put the sun at the very tip off a mountain plus a whole heap of other cool stuff.

Go bigger. Use photopills. Great app for all around planning photo shoots. Sun, moon, golden hour, depth of field, exposure, there’s nothing bad about that app. DSLR essential.
My only concern is that, even after 6 months I am still learning the M2P and the editing software, and adding another, from what I understand fairly steep learning curve app, I may not be able to utilize it for the few simple things I hope to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King