DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset hyperlapse in the UK

Pablo

Reactions
Only a short video this one. Just a couple of hyperlapses taken on a nice evening here in the UK. Hope you like it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Proffy
Only a short video this one. Just a couple of hyperlapses taken on a nice evening here in the UK. Hope you like it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Pablo:

Wow! You had my hopes up so high until I actually watched it. Although the video is very nice, you are flying and not actually filming a moving sunset where the sun drops like an orb in the horizon. I shall keep looking the solution, if anyone has one.

Dale

Reactions: Pablo
Pablo:

Wow! You had my hopes up so high until I actually watched it. Although the video is very nice, you are flying and not actually filming a moving sunset where the sun drops like an orb in the horizon. I shall keep looking the solution, if anyone has one.

Dale

It was my intention to film the sun as it set ? . I tried to time it just right (for the 2nd clip in the video), I think that hyperlapse took 15 minutes to shoot. By that point I'd hoped the sun would have dropped substantially, but it hadn't really.

It's tougher than it looks to expose correctly pointed right into the sun setting too.

Positives:
- 2 pretty nice and stable hyperlapses.
- There's a dog herding some sheep in the first clip if you watch closely which amused me ?
- The second hyperlapse (apart from the sun not dropping) came out beautiful.

Negatives:
- In the first hyperlapse I stupidly altered the aperture a few times during the shooting. If you watch you can see a few jumps in exposure that are off-putting and I couldn't work out how to fix them in post
- In the first hyperlapse I did a circle hyperlapse with the intention of the clip ending with the sun in shot. Unfortunately it rotated so slowly the sun never quite made it into the shot!

All in all far from a perfect attempt but it gave me something to edit anyway ?

It was my intention to film the sun as it set ? . I tried to time it just right (for the 2nd clip in the video), I think that hyperlapse took 15 minutes to shoot. By that point I'd hoped the sun would have dropped substantially, but it hadn't really.

It's tougher than it looks to expose correctly pointed right into the sun setting too.

Positives:
- There's a dog herding some sheep in the first clip if you watch closely which amused me ?

Negatives:
- In the first hyperlapse I stupidly altered the aperture a few times during the shooting. If you watch you can see a few jumps in exposure that are off-putting and I couldn't work out how to fix them in post
- In the first hyperlapse I did a circle hyperlapse with the intention of the clip ending with the sun in shot. Unfortunately it rotated so slowly the sun never quite made it into the shot!

Pablo:
I am not sure you are aware of the various apps which allow you to determinate the exact minute that the sunset or sunrise will occur. Here is a screen grab of the app called "SOL." I believe it is free. I've been using it for years. I can time my photography to the very moment of the sunset or sunrise. The wheel rotates, give you the exact time, and if you hit the small re-set button (double arrow) at the bottom it will return to the exact time of day. It is on an iPhone.

Attachments

• SOL app.jpeg
    SOL app.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Positives:

Negatives:

I would also like to comment on the rules I was taught by Gunther Wegner, the genius young German man who developed the timelapse program I have been using for 5 years, LRTimelapse. This has to do with Holy Grail 3 way ramping. The Holy Grail is the ability to capture the sunset and sunrise (increasing darkness, or increasing lightness) as a timelapse study without flickering. The rules of adjusting your camera are as follows;

Holy Grail 3 Way Ramping use 2/3rd or 3/3 stops (software cannot handle 1/3rd stop changes)

SUNSETS
First- increase exposure - 1/160>1>1/150th>1125th>1/60th>1/30th>1/15th seconds
second- open aperture f/8>f/5.6>f/4.>f/3.5>f/2.8
Last- Increase ISO

This process is reversed for SUNRISES.

1st- Decrease ISO>Close Aperture>Shorten Exposure

Last edited:
Magnificent!

Reactions: Pablo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads