DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surprised with propeller issue upon random check of blades

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Thanks to this forum for making me aware of so many things that are not obvious on the face. I don't know what prompted me to check my propeller blades, but I probably saved myself some grief in doing so. I do not want a drone falling out of the sky (uncommanded descent). I am meticulously careful in how I store my Mini, but I must be doing/have done something wrong. I will be changing up my routine, probably storing it overnight in the charging dome, if only to let the blades hang loose without any tension.

When I inspected my blades this morning I was shocked to see how warped one of them was. I'm not sure if you're supposed to change them in pairs no matter what, but that's what I did. It appears that only one of the blades was distorted but I changed them both. I couldn't be sure if the other was in it's natural shape. I've had some slightly nicked blade tips before that I know I could file down, but I just don't want to chance it. So I changed those out and will file them and keep them for spares just in case new replacements aren't readily availble (as of this morning Amazon's DJI replacements are $18!... but I found them elsewhere for $12).

It's hard to believe how easy it is for the Mini's blades to become misshapen. I'm going to make checking carefully a habit every time before I fly. Without further adieu, below is a before/after image.

Distorted_Blades.jpg

Reactions: hiflyer201
Yes, it is recommended you change the blades in pairs.
Also what is that black furry stuff in the bottom slots near the gimbal?

It's the moustache that the drone grew during COVID ?

No... Actually they are strips of female velcro that I've placed there so I can mount my Arc strobe on the bottom without one of those plastic strobe mounts that covers the vents. Once I turn the drone on the strobe gets mounted. I park the strobe on top while initializing the Mini and after it's turned on just put it on the bottom for flight. I had to straddle the switch and power lights and yet be able to mount the strobe. I wanted versatility of having a headlamp a top mount general strobe and the bottom mount, not knowing what would work best for me. It actually works quite well. I've found that I don't use the headlight so much and have since purchased small red and green strobes for the front arms to identify when it's facing me. Velcro is an amazing product with so many uses, no ? :cool:Arc_mounting.jpg

Good idea, I have the ~45degree small flashlight mount which works well (although should be a stiffer mount).
I purchased what I thought would be Nav lights for the legs but the colours (Canadian spelling) are red and blue not red and green which I would have preferred Being a pilot.

I was shocked to see one of my MM blades drooping badly after storage overnight. It's matching blade was fine...so somehow the drooping blade must have been out of position in the storage case and thus warped by the case. Nonetheless, using finger pressure and body heat, I warped the blade back into shape enough to fly with it (no spares on hand). I was watching for a "motor speed" error since the restored blade didn't exactly match it' nomral shape...but it was fine! Wish I had taked a before and after picture of the drooping blade and its restoration! I am still flying that blade!

Remember to fold them in order too- at work at the mo but from memory it's fold left then fold right? Try it both ways and see how much easier the props rest one way over the other ;)

Reactions: vindibona1
As I got to thinking it had me wondering if I was storing my new unused spare propellers in a way that would prevent them from warping in storage? These things are so thin it would take next to no pressure and not so much time to distort their shape.

I don't have a Mini. I'm amazed at how easy it is to re-shape the props. I just stuff my drones back into the bag without much thought. I guess it's a compromise for weight.

Remember to fold them in order too- at work at the mo but from memory it's fold left then fold right? Try it both ways and see how much easier the props rest one way over the other ;)
Please see these three posts.

Cause of prop deformation:
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-13#post-1038101

Hover test, motor speed plots:
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-13#post-1038918

Preventing prop deformation:
mavicpilots.com/threads/motor-speed-error-mavic-mini.86130/page-14#post-1042991

You haven't read them, correct?

Remember to fold them in order too [...] it's fold left then fold right? Try it both ways and see how much easier the props rest one way over the other
As illustrated in the referenced posts, if your props fold easier one way over the other it's an indication that your prop blades are already warped.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98