DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Survived First Under-Bridge Flight

Iceman318

Reactions
Survived my first flight under a bridge. I didn't see nor expect those wires but was able to say in between them and the water and escape unscathed.

Reactions: Bobvt
at 0:19 I cringed a little when you were strafing left really close toward the trees. I've crashed many a times by doing that, and almost lost my bird a couple of times because of it.

Reactions: zzxrox
Cautious approach was one key to success, and your video shows that well. The other one seemed to be the direct LOS to your bird beneath the bridge. So many take a control position above or to the side of such obstacles and get a loss of communication from controller to drone.

at 0:19 I cringed a little when you were strafing left really close toward the trees. I've crashed many a times by doing that, and almost lost my bird a couple of times because of it.

Yeah, it tends to be a little more wobbly while hovering over water sometimes. Got a little close but pulled away just in time. It's hard to see some obstacles on your smart phone screen until the last second, especially small branches. No harm done.

Love the limbo.

Might want to review your YAW rate. Some of the adjustments seemed fairly jerky

LMAO! Some sketchy flying there. Moving in towards those trees like that blindly, well....Here is a video showing why you DONT lol. You can skip to about the 2:30 mark and see for yourself :) On a lighter note..I probably would try the bridge myself. I mean what fun is it if there is no risk involved right ??? Fly safe my friend.

Last edited:
LMAO! Some sketchy flying there. Moving in towards those trees like that blindly, well....Here is a video showing why you DONT lol. You can skip to about the 2:30 mark and see for yourself :) On a lighter note..I probably tried the bridge myself. I mean what fun is it if there is no risk involved right ??? Fly safe my friend.
Point illustrated well. Plus repeated attempts at takeoff w/o damage assessment risked giving the drone a bath in the creek/ water drainage channel. If you crash, just go get the bird.

Reactions: zzxrox
Point illustrated well. Plus repeated attempts at takeoff w/o damage assessment risked giving the drone a bath in the creek/ water drainage channel. If you crash, just go get the bird.
There was nothing good about that day. The intent was to see if i could fly under the freeway to take pictures of the graffiti there. I was rushed and not thinking straight. I had video faults from the tablet I was using, it was just after a storm so the water was high and being in a hurry just to get a shot was all a recipe for disaster. That tree I hit I knew was there but making another mistake and turning right instead of left didnt allow me to see it on the video feed. Taking off again was in pure panic to see if I could get it airborn just enough to get it away from the water. When it hit the ground I thought I was in the stream and getting washed away. Bottom line is I KNEW I shouldn't have been flying that day but I did and you can see the outcome. The whole Crashes video has good lessons on what NOT to do. Should be a training video for new pilots LOL I'll be flying that same spot again this week but I have plently of time to get it right and my son will be spotting for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom