DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet buying considerations, advice requested

OK Rabid, i see your point that a ipad tethered to a cell phone would likely get the GPS data wirelessly from the cell phone ( without cell service). draw back is it is another device ( cell phone) to keep powered on trips into the back country ( i.e. a week or more in the mountains away from access to any AC electrical sources). Might have to go that route. looks like the Navidia Shield K1 tablet not available anywhere as it's discontinued unless buying used. Have not considered any other android tablets yet. The tablet question is taking more effort than any other.

I use the iPad Mini 4 - which is both GSM & WiFi, but I have NEVER put a SIM card into it and the maps show up just fine when I fly with it.

I only wish DJI had / will make the double bright Crystal Sky monitor Mavic compatible. At 2000 nits brightness it would be ideal for outdoor flying.

I recently got a wifi only iPad mini 4. Love it! Works flawlessly and was a great excuse to upgrade from my 1st gen iPad mini.

I haven't been able to use the cached maps tho. I'm probably not doing it right but I download the offline areas before I go fly. Ive noticed that it doesn't show whilst flying but does show all the map info during flight playback in the GO app.

TBH the lack of maps hasn't been a huge deal for me. I do follow the flight path back while returning to home. Flying along a street the maps would be helpful but flying out in the country not so much IMO.

Reactions: Rabid Machina
3. Screen resolution. have seen a post where someone uses a samsung galaxy tab 2 as it was stated to be the largest tablet to fit in the RC, but it has a resolution of 1024 x 600. perhaps is enough for good FPV but don't really know if higher such as on Ipad mins is better for my uses.

I have the Galaxy Tab S2 T710 (wifi only) With the drone on 700 firmware and the DJI Go 4 on 7 version all is perfect. The screen resolution is 2048 x 1536 and the screen is bright enough to be seen with the sun over your shoulder mid day in Arizona. Has GPS built in and it fits perfectly in the RC. Mine is on Marshmallow (android 6) Because of what was just stated above I will not be updating to 800 for sure. I too fly in remote areas with no cell coverage. I will never own any Apple product. (A long story about a multi million dollar two week Navy exercise ruined because one company refused to believe that Apple would not be compatible, that company was banned from receiving any Navy contracts for one year)

Last edited:
You don't need an active internet connection to fly your drone. You can cache all map data and nfz zones from your house where you have wi-fi. So no worries there. I use a 6S+so that is the extent of my experience with an attached device. As far as tablets go, it is debatable. As stated above iOS is probably going to be your best bet.
I like to add you'll be better off with an iOS iPad because using the remote it charges the phone and drains the remote. Instead of buying another remote for flying multiple flights, I lean toward an iPad mini so I can go on the internet at home. Beside you can cash the maps where you'll be flying. Just my experience . No need to worry of phone call while using phone. Android phone that I used.

I have an important question about this: I have a wifi hotspot on my phone with unlimited data plan, which in theory I can leave on all day. If I get an iPad with only WiFi, and it is connected to the network created by my smartphone, will the iPad (and therefore Go 4) be aware oft he GPS coordinates while I fly the Mavic, and will this make the moving home point and follow me functions available to me?

I have an important question about this: I have a wifi hotspot on my phone with unlimited data plan, which in theory I can leave on all day. If I get an iPad with only WiFi, and it is connected to the network created by my smartphone, will the iPad (and therefore Go 4) be aware oft he GPS coordinates while I fly the Mavic, and will this make the moving home point and follow me functions available to me?

Yes if you use the hotspot on your phone any device that receives wifi can link to the phone and have an internet connection. My only connection to the internet is my hotspot. My tablet is WiFi only and I use the phone hotspot to load it with programs. Only those that are necessary or nice to have for the Mavic.

Last edited:
Yes if you use the hotspot on your phone any device that receives wifi can link to the phone and have an internet connection. My only connection to the internet is my hotspot. My tablet is WiFi only and I use the phone hotspot to load it with programs. Only those that are necessary or nice to have for the Mavic.

Thanks. My question was whether the phone delivers GPS information to the tablet in this case, so that e.g., Follow Me works.

The short answer is 'No'.
The WiFi hot spot can share internet connection but not phone features like GPS.
At best you may get an approximate location, but it won't be accurate enough for the 'Follow Me' or moving home point functions. One solution (aside from buying a GPS capable iPad) would be to use a GPS device with Blue Tooth and pair that with the tab.

Reactions: kona
The short answer is 'No'.
The WiFi hot spot can share internet connection but not phone features like GPS.
At best you may get an approximate location, but it won't be accurate enough for the 'Follow Me' or moving home point functions. One solution (aside from buying a GPS capable iPad) would be to use a GPS device with Blue Tooth and pair that with the tab.
Gosh, thanks, I might have to come up with the cash to pay for the LTE version.

Use a Samsung S2 (710). Non cellular. Use FW.800 lots.
Excellent unit, bright screen. Internal GPS.
Fits straight into to RC. Use bottom USB.
No switching problems between GO4, Litchi, Drone Harmony.
Expandable memory.
Cache maps at home on WiFi.
Never crashed.
;)

Use a Samsung S2 (710). Non cellular. Use FW.800 lots.
Excellent unit, bright screen. Internal GPS.
Fits straight into to RC. Use bottom USB.
No switching problems between GO4, Litchi, Drone Harmony.
Expandable memory.
Cache maps at home on WiFi.
Never crashed.
;)

I agree. Have not tried .800 and probably will not.
I use an extendable USB cable to the bottom port. Never have to take it out to stow the RC in the DJI Fly More small case. And with its retraction mechanism it keeps the cable attached without any loops. I will have to cache the maps when I figure out how to do that.

Based on the good folks here recommending it I am using iPad mini 4 (with wi-fi only) and loving it. Only recently switched as I am an Android person generally, so I had to buy the iPad specifically for the Mavic

As other mentioned you simply can't do return to controller/me (as opposed to return to home) without the GPS

Spent over a year trying to solve Android issues with multiple firmwares and no less than 4 different Android devices, but it constantly crashes the app .and gimbal has weird spazz-out issues. Make sure you read the rest of the forums carefully regarding Android vs iOS.

Last edited:
I bought a Nexus 7 II (2013) on ebay for $100. As long turn on AC then RC, then plug in the tablet, it has worked great.. I would really like a Shield though..

My original Samsung TAB A was worthless, wouldn't connect no matter what I did.

So I have a Mavic coming in the mail this week and am about to begin my studies into all things Mavic Pro Platinum and DJI goggles RE. So I have a iPad with low GB that is hooked up with my cellular plan and I have unlimited data plan. This should be perfect for my Mavic adventures, correct? Also; I plan to purchase a pre mod controller with Titan Atlas amplification on my signal when I get the money; for strong signal in valleys deep in the woods. Also the extra controller will be due to people wanting to fly my Quad and having the primary controller to take over in an emergency, where I have had people wreck my cheaper drones in the past while panicking. How hard will it be to switch controllers, and where will settings I customize be saved? In the iPad or only one controller?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair