DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet choice.

sammackay23

Reactions
Hi all currently debating my next move. Flying at the moment with Mavic air 2 and Samsung Note 10+ Own a Macbook Air 2015, and an Adobe Creative Cloud user with Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere Rush.

Lately been finding my Macbook to have less performance than my Samsung phone. All my post work now basically gets done on my phone then uploaded to social media. I have read plenty good about IPad mini 5 as a great screen and the ability to edit 4k. I do like using all my Adobe stuff but alot of searches come up with Lumafusion as the go to editing software for ipad drone videos.

Just curious to know what tablets and editing software people are using. i find it so handy to just have one device then sync to the creative cloud. Meaning i can edit on my phone or potentially upload to cloud and use an ipad mini 5..Or anyother tablet that you guys can remommend. Any android tablets that are good? since i am on Samsung mobile anyway.

LumaFusion is an extremely good app, but it does have some limitations. The biggest one is no distortion correction, so you need to either do that on a real computer, or shoot in a mode that automatically corrects it in the drone. For most people though it does a fine job. The only other thing is don't expect it to be as fast as a proper photo editing PC, but it obviously isn't trying to be and costs far less. Recently they added the ability to handle 10bit footage properly, and that was one prior limitation that no longer exists. It can handle LUTs and supports wireless backup to a variety of services which is nice. My biggest complaint with it is you have to leave the screen on while videos are encoding and uploading (if it goes to sleep or you accidentally do something, it fails), but their support tells me that is a limitation of iOS and not their app.

For causal editing on a tablet form factor, it's probably the best thing out there if you have a newer iPad Pro + Apple Pencil. It still works on the "regular" iPads, just not as smoothly. The stylus makes it much easier to work with. If you are really serious about editing, I wouldn't recommend any tablet editing at all as there is no way to properly calibrate the display.

If you are going to be using a tablet, I don't think you will find anything half as good as LumaFusion for most usage cases. It's cheap too.

I personally wouldn't buy the latest iPad Mini, they used a really cheap 60Hz screen that has a "jelly scroll" effect and that would drive me nuts. You would be better off with one of the newer iPad Pros. I have a 2011 iPad Pro 10.5" and it still runs LumaFusion well, but if you can swing one of the newer M1 versions you will be even better off. I also think you will prefer a larger screen than the mini offers when working in LumaFusion, but that is somewhat subjective.

Thanks for the reply, plenty to mull over there. I must add that im not really in to serious video editing at all. The ipad mini 5 i thought was a good price, and i can shoot and edit with it on the go.

Reactions: NDWildBill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honzax