DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet Holders Blocking Signal?

LotusFan

Reactions
Hi All
I'm looking at getting a tablet holder, I'm surprised to see that some of them have the tablet mounted over the antennas on the controller, surely this isn't ideal for range as it could partially block the signals

Image as an example

Any thoughts?
71Bi7KraCyL._SL700_.jpg

Hi All
I'm looking at getting a tablet holder, I'm surprised to see that some of them have the tablet mounted over the antennas on the controller, surely this isn't ideal for range as it could partially block the signals

Image as an example

Any thoughts?
View attachment 115507
1. The signal goes forward not up (Actually like a doughnut), in fact a extremely little amount of radiated power is applied up (See part two) and if it is the tablet would defect it forward. The remote and holder/tablet when flown will be slighted tilted up with the long flat part of antennas pointed at the aircraft in flight and is explained in your owners manual as to how to properly hold and orient the remote.

2. When flying overhead, you are to then to fold antennas flat (horizontal) to the ground. So again signal is directed then up at aircraft. Again all explained in your owners manual :) This is a old tutorial but will give you the "just" of it.

Last edited:
I have an aluminum tablet holder, but it slips in where the phone usually goes rather than out the front. The tablet sits over the controller rather than over the antennas. In my case, I haven't experienced any degraded distance with my Mini.

51qDMKv5tqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Reactions: LotusFan
I have an aluminum tablet holder, but it slips in where the phone usually goes rather than out the front. The tablet sits over the controller rather than over the antennas. In my case, I haven't experienced any degraded distance with my Mini.

View attachment 115547
Looks great, where did you get it
? Please post a link to it.

Reactions: LotusFan

View attachment 115547

I tried a very similar holder which I sent back for 2 reasons. The first was that it had a small manufacturing defect but the main one was that I couldn’t fit my iPad Air in an Otterbox case in it. The clamps weren’t deep enough. Still looking for an alternative at a reasonable price.

I tried a very similar holder which I sent back for 2 reasons. The first was that it had a small manufacturing defect but the main one was that I couldn’t fit my iPad Air in an Otterbox case in it. The clamps weren’t deep enough. Still looking for an alternative at a reasonable price.
I 3D printed a mount/holder for my iPhone and had the same problem so I heated up the clamps just a little and as able to spread and modify them enough for the extra thickness of the Otterbox..

I 3D printed a mount/holder for my iPhone and had the same problem so I heated up the clamps just a little and as able to spread and modify them enough for the extra thickness of the Otterbox..

That's another thing to add to my list to justify a 3D printer!

Reactions: ff22
1. The signal goes forward not up (Actually like a doughnut), in fact a extremely little amount of radiated power is applied up (See part two) and if it is the tablet would defect it forward. The remote and holder/tablet when flown will be slighted tilted up with the long flat part of antennas pointed at the aircraft in flight and is explained in your owners manual as to how to properly hold and orient the remote.

2. When flying overhead, you are to then to fold antennas flat (horizontal) to the ground. So again signal is directed then up at aircraft. Again all explained in your owners manual :) This is a old tutorial but will give you the "just" of it.

Thank you, that's a brilliant link
With all of that info, I still can't understand the logic in holders that sit directly over the antennas

Have a look at this image, from the net, it seems pretty hard to get the antenna in a position that they would be perpendicular to the model, certainly not without constantly tipping the screen towards you to show the antennas to the sky

My requirements for a holder are, compact when packed, simple (read cheap!) and ideally holding the tablet away from my big belly! Which is why the one in my first post appealed to me

I'm going to go for one similar the one KB4MTO showed with the tablet over the place where the phone would normally sit

tablet-holder-dji-spark-mavic-mount_1024x1024.jpeg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu