DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet Recommendation?

Ol' Sparky

Reactions
Hi! I've been looking for an alternative to my old Moto E4 phone to fly my Zoom and Spark. The screen is too small and when I edit the videos, I find I'm missing a lot of opportunities I wasn't even aware of because they weren't easily visible on the phone's screen. Looking for a tablet with a few conditions:
1: must fit in the controllers...don't want to use a mount
2: must have GPS
3: nice and bright
4: inexpensive....I don't want to drop hundreds on an iPad Mini for features I'll never use. It will be strictly for flying
5: Android.....not an apple guy

looking at an 7" Acer for 100 CDN
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance for your input!?

Hi! I've been looking for an alternative to my old Moto E4 phone to fly my Zoom and Spark. The screen is too small and when I edit the videos, I find I'm missing a lot of opportunities I wasn't even aware of because they weren't easily visible on the phone's screen. Looking for a tablet with a few conditions:
4: inexpensive....I don't want to drop hundreds on an iPad Mini for features I'll never use. It will be strictly for flying

I don’t think a 7 will fit. My I pad mini is 8” and I have to use a mount. My phone is 6.8 inches and it kind of fits without a case on it. It’s still a bit too big for the Mavic controllers. I ended up having to use a mount for my phone. 6.5 will fit better. Might be able to use it in vertical mode but you will need a larger cable for sure.

I don’t think a 7 will fit. My I pad mini is 8” and I have to use a mount. My phone is 6.8 inches and it kind of fits without a case on it. It’s still a bit too big for the Mavic controllers. I ended up having to use a mount for my phone. 6.5 will fit better. Might be able to use it in vertical mode but you will need a larger cable for sure.

The Ipad Mini does fit the remote controllers, the issue is that it's not as bright as it could be.

1601605467308.png

You need to find a tablet with the maximum brightness, over 500 nits would be a minimum which unfortunately makes them more expensive

And do not forget compass chip...it will be hard to find tablet to fit in the RC. One good option is Huawej MediaPad M5 - 8"...I am using this model 10" version and it is perfect...

For me it's a hands down easy choice, iPad. Either the Air, Mini or regular iPad. A 11 inch pro if you have it as well. DJI doesn't say it but my experience is that anything Apple works 10 times better than Android. I used to write for Android so it's a pain to know you need to build an App that is completely compatible with the Android Universe. I've seen posts here about Pilots losing a Drone while using Android. All of this is my opinion, YMMV.

Reactions: BigAl07
I used to be 100% Anti-Apple until I tried one out. Works great and pretty much works like a charm especially with DJI software. Plus many "UAS" offerings either come out only iOS or at least come out iOS long before Android versions are released.

I fully understand not being an Apple guy but if you gave it a week you'd say, "Thanks BigAl. I love it now."

I used to be 100% Anti-Apple until I tried one out. Works great and pretty much works like a charm especially with DJI software. Plus many "UAS" offerings either come out only iOS or at least come out iOS long before Android versions are released.

I fully understand not being an Apple guy but if you gave it a week you'd say, "Thanks BigAl. I love it now."
Thanx Big Al. I just don't have the funds to invest in a tablet with all kinds of functions I'll never use. I just want a screen exclusively for flying. Don't really care if it's apple or Android. I've been flying using android since I started flying and the only issue I've had was my first Spark went insane, and DJI replaced it. Apple minis are around $500 up here....seems like a waste for something I only use for flying...overkill comes to mind. May have to look for a used one. Thanx for the input.

Reactions: BigAl07
Mounting it the way lannes did in post #3, I managed to jam a 9" between the arms of the controller...but it was not easy nor secure. Too much work. An 8" was a better fit, but still had to be jimmied between the arms in exactly the right position. I figure a 7" should fit quite easily.

Mounting it the way lannes did in post #3, I managed to jam a 9" between the arms of the controller...but it was not easy nor secure. Too much work. An 8" was a better fit, but still had to be jimmied between the arms in exactly the right position. I figure a 7" should fit quite easily.

Yea I can see how now. Being secure has always been a stipulation of mine. Nothing like a tablet falling out mid flight. I was running a mapping autonomous flight this weekend and got tired holding the remote and started holding the bottom of the tablet so my Hoodman was blocking the sun. Well it came out of the mount and the remote bumped the stick, drone started to weave. Luckily it went back on the flight course and kept going. I am making sure my Lanyard will be on at all times from now on.

And do not forget compass chip...it will be hard to find tablet to fit in the RC. One good option is Huawej MediaPad M5 - 8"...I am using this model 10" version and it is perfect...
Yes...GPS / compass is a must have. Although....when I was in Mexico, using a phone with no sim, Ol' Sparky knew exactly where she was without me downloading any maps.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent