DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tablet tethered to phone MA2 controller

AndyF_UK

Reactions
Hi, newbie question, would a tablet tethered to a mobile phone give full functionality on the controller for gps and maps, or would it be better to have a tablet with cell connectivity thanks

Hi, newbie question, would a tablet tethered to a mobile phone give full functionality on the controller for gps and maps, or would it be better to have a tablet with cell connectivity thanks
Hotspotting from your phone will give access to internet data so you could download maps
GPS data can't be shared by hotspotting but this isn't important anyway.
The location of your phone isn't useful.
The drone has its own GPS receiver which is what it uses for flight functions.

It's not needed but preferred to have a cell service for a live map and possibly a firmware update that always seem to happen right when you're ready to fly.

I fly the Spark with a WiFi only mini4 and I have to cache the map at home via WiFi before going out to fly so that I'll have a map if I wanted one.

With the WiFi mini4, there's no GPS chip so I can't use the "Find My Drone" or change the Home Point to me if I moved from the launch spot.

With the MA2 I'm using my phone primarily so I can find it if I lose it.

Since I fly within VLOS I haven't had to use that function on the Spark or the MA2...yet.

A lot of forum members talk like maps are of critical importance but that's not true.
In six years of flying drones, I've used the map only once.

A lot of forum members talk like maps are of critical importance but that's not true.

I hear ya. No problems with the Mini4 in the past three years.

I hardly use the map at all since I know the area but if I was on vacation in an unfamiliar spot, it might be nice to have a map just in case.

100% agree, if you can read a sectional and know what your doing. you don't need a map

So you don't need a map, but read a chart (map). ;)

if you think about it... we fly VLOS. GPS is nice for recovery during a crash or lost comms. but you don't need it to fly. as long as you adhere to local airspace, you're good. hence, now your area and have sectional with you. the worst case scenario is an FAA inspector shows up and your electronics (GPS, SC, and cell phone) stop working. he's going to ask you to show him where your at. Can you do it?

if you think about it... we fly VLOS. GPS is nice for recovery during a crash or lost comms. but you don't need it to fly. as long as you adhere to local airspace, you're good. hence, now your area and have sectional with you. the worst case scenario is an FAA inspector shows up and your electronics (GPS, SC, and cell phone) stop working. he's going to ask you to show him where your at. Can you do it?

Yes I can.
Big fan of VLOS.

Too much to lose.

cool, just don't get wrapped up in technology. when it fails you, and it will, that's the day someone will show up and you have to show them you know what your doing. I've flown with people that cannot navigate without their Ipad, they open the door and it gets smashed. I ask them if you can get us home without it. the usual answer, No, all my information was on my digital platform. That's not a good place to be in.

Excellent point as always. It's remarkable really how many pilots thing that the map is necessary in order to fly your way back home. I don't get it.

However I find the map useful in one aspect. Right after powering up it makes it much easier to make sure that the drone icon (triangle) is properly aligned with true direction. A good check for proper compass orientation prior to flight.

cool, just don't get wrapped up in technology. when it fails you, and it will, that's the day someone will show up and you have to show them you know what your doing. I've flown with people that cannot navigate without their Ipad, they open the door and it gets smashed. I ask them if you can get us home without it. the usual answer, No, all my information was on my digital platform. That's not a good place to be in.
This seems to be so very true with today's advanced avionics, GPS, auto-pilot, and glass cockpits. Pilots get too dependent on the technology and forget how to aviate! They know how to follow a RNAV approach but take away the GPS unit and they forget all about dead reckoning and using basic NAVAIDs. It's really sad (and dangerous) actually.

But you don't need a cellular-capable tablet. Using your phone as a wifi hotspot gives you all the advantages of connecting to your home wifi (except maybe the speed).

cool, just don't get wrapped up in technology.

Having the technology and not using it doesn't make you any better as a pilot. Being able to read a map (and having one available) is useful but generally not as quick or accurate as using GPS through an associated app - I'd always consider the technology as my primary source.

This seems to be so very true with today's advanced avionics, GPS, auto-pilot, and glass cockpits. Pilots get too dependent on the technology and forget how to aviate! They know how to follow a RNAV approach but take away the GPS unit and they forget all about dead reckoning and using basic NAVAIDs. It's really sad (and dangerous) actually.
It's reality and scary. Don't hurt anyone's feelings though?

But you don't need a cellular-capable tablet. Using your phone as a wifi hotspot gives you all the advantages of connecting to your home wifi (except maybe the speed).

Having the technology and not using it doesn't make you any better as a pilot. Being able to read a map (and having one available) is useful but generally not as quick or accurate as using GPS through an associated app - I'd always consider the technology as my primary source.
I use foreflight on my Ipad mini with GPS only. Doesn't require a data plan

Having the technology and not using it doesn't make you any better as a pilot.
Depending on it too much (as a crutch) however does indeed make you a worse pilot.

Being able to read a map (and having one available) is useful but generally not as quick or accurate as using GPS through an associated app
Very true UNTIL your GPS doesn't work. If you always use GPS though, you don't have the sharpness to quickly read paper maps and navigate without the GPS.

I'd always consider the technology as my primary source.
That is exactly what gets pilots in trouble. Technology is very reliable but never 100% reliable. Always depending on it as the primary source is just an accident waiting to happen. Manual navigation should always be practiced regularly as the primary and only source in order to stay sharp.

Very true UNTIL your GPS doesn't work. If you always use GPS though, you don't have the sharpness to quickly read paper maps and navigate without the GPS.

In my 40+ years as a professional pilot, I can probably count on one hand the number of times that all of my nav kit completely failed me. I always carried a backup map marked with my route (and knew how to use it) but always considered it as just that - a backup and definitely not my primary source of nav information.

That is exactly what gets pilots in trouble.

What gets pilots in trouble is not cross-checking with a map occasionally. If you have modern nav equipment and don't consider it to be your primary source then you've wasted your money buying it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo