DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

taco rc - ND MC filters now or wait for the polarized ones?

wnfaknd

Reactions
So I'm considering getting the ND MC filters now or wait until the polarized ones come out.
For those of you that may already have ND and/or polarized filters, what is your opinion? What would polarized get me? I do fly over the water a bit and maybe polarized would be worth it....

Any ideas?

Seems as though you have answered your own question to an extent. Why spend money twice if you really would like the premium quality Polarized ND filter(s). I'm waiting on the cinema series from Polar Pro

I have the Taco RC filters, but I also have a set of the Polar Pro Cinema Series on the way (just shipped today). Once I have them I will let you know which I feel is better but I have a feeling I would rather have the option to have polarized if needed which my Taco RC set doesn't have.

So I'm considering getting the ND MC filters now or wait until the polarized ones come out.
For those of you that may already have ND and/or polarized filters, what is your opinion? What would polarized get me? I do fly over the water a bit and maybe polarized would be worth it....

Any ideas?
I'm waiting for polarization. All I really want in a filter.

I posted this in another thread and it might help answer your question. A tip for next time...a simple search would have led you right to it. (Post #60)

http://mavicpilots.com/index.php?posts/41488
Your link is one of the most liked and valuable posts I've read. Kudos. But I think he was asking if people are waiting for polarized filters or not. I am most certainly waiting for polarized filters as direct water shots are key for me notwithstanding your shutter ratio comments. I'm OK with the more strident video look.

Not quite sure how much benefit PL filters will be for video with constant changing light sources. You may end up with more undesirable results than before. PL are great for stills but personally I would just use plain ND for video. Not to mention you are going to have to adjust the filter on the camera prior to flight to make sure the orientation is correct. But please keep us updated with any comparisons as I hopefully may be proven wrong. :)

Reactions: Nigpd
Not quite sure how much benefit PL filters will be for video with constant changing light sources. You may end up with more undesirable results than before. PL are great for stills but personally I would just use plain ND for video. Not to mention you are going to have to adjust the filter on the camera prior to flight to make sure the orientation is correct. But please keep us updated with any comparisons as I hopefully may be proven wrong. :)

Agreed. I use ND filters for my pro camera when I want to use long shutter speeds and to give an impression of movement. I use PL filters when I want to shoot through glass or over water or to add a bit of punch to the sky. I would stick with ND filters unless there is a specific PL need and then you need to make sure you have the correct orientation of the filter before you start filming.

Reactions: chippie
Agreed. I use ND filters for my pro camera when I want to use long shutter speeds and to give an impression of movement. I use PL filters when I want to shoot through glass or over water or to add a bit of punch to the sky. I would stick with ND filters unless there is a specific PL need and then you need to make sure you have the correct orientation of the filter before you start filming.

This was exactly my concern. Polarized for video may not be the best, and I take way more video than stills.

Reactions: chippie
I ordered some Freewell Filters, which are Polarized ND. They are supposed to be here tomorrow. I'll post an update after I try them. DJI MAVIC HYBRID FILTER 3
Looks wise they win the prize (not that this is really important of course). Interested to see how they perform especially the PL ones.

Do you know if this company is connected to PP, they seem to have very similar items for sale on both sites :)

I got the Freewell Filters but it's been snowing so I haven't been able to try them yet. Here is a video with my initial thoughts and the gimbal initializing though.

Reactions: AKent and Rugflyer
This was exactly my concern. Polarized for video may not be the best, and I take way more video than stills.
The way I understand it, polarized will be handy for shooting over water or in areas where there is a lot of snow like where I am.

From all the YouTube videos I have seen, none of the filters on the market look all that impressive. I think in 3-4 months there should be a bunch of 3rd party gear on the market that will be vastly superior to what is out now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc