DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take care with 340 firmware update if you then take off indoors!

BarrieW

Reactions
Updated the app then updated firmware on Air 2 to 340 no problems. Noted the changes, checked safety, control, camera , transmission ( had plenty of satellites indoors near window), thought would take off and just hover. Air 2 veered to right , hit wall and shot off forward and left into bedside lamp splitting front left prop . It did beep ,obstacle avoidance front sensor ? just before it veered to right initially but I can't be sure, all happened so quick! Camera was not working but app off, Air 2 off and all back to normal with restart. Thinking about it, after update, avoidance was automatically set to BYPASS and no sideways movement so presume it detected wall 2 metres in front and tried to find way round ? I recalibrated compass and EMU (?), turned off obstacle avoidance then rehovered and all ok. So be careful folks inside in smallish rooms - I know, I'm an old idiot but updating inside with wifi then hovering seemed the right thing to do so do tell me what I did wrong. Wonder what would have happened if I had been outdoors , all ok or even worse? I have been lucky, one prop damaged.

So not a firmware issue but UE. Let’s not turn this into yet another
firmware update thread.
Settings after a software update resets lots of things and why we check them and flying inside is not a good idea At anytime.

Take the props off during updates ;)
We past and think he was trying to fly inside . Had already did the updates.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Updated the app then updated firmware on Air 2 to 340 no problems. Noted the changes, checked safety, control, camera , transmission ( had plenty of satellites indoors near window), thought would take off and just hover. Air 2 veered to right , hit wall and shot off forward and left into bedside lamp splitting front left prop . It did beep ,obstacle avoidance front sensor ? just before it veered to right initially but I can't be sure, all happened so quick! Camera was not working but app off, Air 2 off and all back to normal with restart. Thinking about it, after update, avoidance was automatically set to BYPASS and no sideways movement so presume it detected wall 2 metres in front and tried to find way round ? I recalibrated compass and EMU (?), turned off obstacle avoidance then rehovered and all ok. So be careful folks inside in smallish rooms - I know, I'm an old idiot but updating inside with wifi then hovering seemed the right thing to do so do tell me what I did wrong. Wonder what would have happened if I had been outdoors , all ok or even worse? I have been lucky, one prop damaged.
I just did mine, and before take off I checked my orientation (as I ALWAYS do)... I'm glad I did, because it was off by quite a bit.

What happened to you could have been a Yaw error caused by an uncalibrated compass.

Like DC said, lots of things change after firmware updates... Take care when taking off for the first time.

Sorry to hear bout your bird.

Reactions: dirkclod
I just did mine, and before take off I checked my orientation (as I ALWAYS do)... I'm glad I did, because it was off by quite a bit.

What happened to you could have been a Yaw error caused by an uncalibrated compass.

Like DC said, lots of things change after firmware updates... Take care when taking off for the first time.

Sorry to hear bout your bird.
Maybe so, but not a change that would require a compass calibration.

Well I’ll just move this to the correct section and he can download his data and that will solve this thread.?

Depending upon the time of day or night, if the illumination in the room was insufficient for the sensors to work correctly, it can't hold position properly indoors. I had that happen when flying the MA2 on my first test flight indoors at 3am from an illuminated dining room into a darker kitchen, where it then drifted 6” sideways into a kitchen cabinet and fell to the floor while still running. Lesson learned! Only the props were damaged. Sturdy little bird! Some settings can only be set when the drone is in the air. Don't be tempted! :oops:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman