DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

taking your drone as a carry on

rsummers87

Reactions
has anyone ever boarded a airplane with their drone as a carry on? i plan on taking trips soon with it and didnt know if its better to buy a hardshell case like a pelican with the foam inserts or to buy one of those backpacks meant for the drone... thanks

has anyone ever boarded a airplane with their drone as a carry on? i plan on taking trips soon with it and didnt know if its better to buy a hardshell case like a pelican with the foam inserts or to buy one of those backpacks meant for the drone... thanks
Yes just did with Air Asia no reaction at all just scanned my bag and let me through.

Mine was in its original box and was scanned but no reaction from air asia

thanks for heads up. going to be doing some domestic flying this fall and super pumped up to get some good action shots in the moutains.

Went through JFK recently without issue traveling internationally. No lipo bags for the batteries. No problems whatsoever.

I used a hard case but I also carry it on. I never let the employees handle my electronics. They all go on with me.

If you look on Trip Advisor you'll see a variety of different behaviors, and few of them consistent. Lately, security at airports in Australia have been confiscating drones. I've read similar stories about a single airport in Vietnam. The most frequent advice I've seen is to pack the drone itself very well padded in your checked suitcase, and the batteries and RC in your carry-on. Keeping the aircraft separate from the batteries seems to stop confiscations, at least on international flights and going through customs. But it's a risk -- if you can't bear the thought of possibly losing it, leave it at home.

Reactions: EsiMavic
I used a hard case but I also carry it on. I never let the employees handle my electronics. They all go on with me.

I'd do the same domestic, but flying to other parts of the world -- especially with militaristic governments -- I will separate.

If you look on Trip Advisor you'll see a variety of different behaviors, and few of them consistent. Lately, security at airports in Australia have been confiscating drones. I've read similar stories about a single airport in Vietnam. The most frequent advice I've seen is to pack the drone itself very well padded in your checked suitcase, and the batteries and RC in your carry-on. Keeping the aircraft separate from the batteries seems to stop confiscations, at least on international flights and going through customs. But it's a risk -- if you can't bear the thought of possibly losing it, leave it at home.

thanks yea, as of right the majority of my flights will be in the U.S. thanks for the advice

I always travel with mavic pro on USA never had a problem on airport, always carry on board , you sure never keep batteries on mavic , keep it separate, you have to tape terminal on batteries or put each one in plastic bag , you always have carry batteries on inside de plane

Reactions: rsummers87
I flew domestically with the Mavic two weeks ago and neither TSA nor the airlines staff inspected it. Two spare batteries were in LiPO pouches and a third was installed in the folded MP. All components were in hard cases along with the Goggles in my carry-on backpack.

Be aware that you must take drone as carry on. Differing pressure/temp can cause the batteries to explode. Also, you should not have fully charged batteries. I've flown several times and TSA never blinked when going through X-ray. I've been told that different airports have another opinion. Do your research. Perhaps have FAAA written rules pertinent to drone travel.

Just went to Jamaica no probs. Discharge batteries and get lipo bags and you should be good

Just recently..SMF,SFO,HNL and back no problem, carry on in hard case with 5 batteries.

Flew last month from Houston to Chicago no issue both ways. I carried my P3 on that trip with 4 batteries and all the charging gear and the never opened the backpack. Flew today from Houston to Minneapolis with my mavic and 3 batteries just in the little camera bag and again straight past the X-ray machine and never a question.

I just got back from Germany via LAX to Heathrow to Frankfurt on departure and Frankfurt to DFW to LAX on return... Kept the Mavic in the Fly more bag inside my carry on CamelBak back pack, also had gopro and accessories in backpack. Only in DFW was I asked to remove it from the back pack, but not from its bag. Very smooth transitions.

Be aware that you must take drone as carry on. Differing pressure/temp can cause the batteries to explode. Also, you should not have fully charged batteries. I've flown several times and TSA never blinked when going through X-ray. I've been told that different airports have another opinion. Do your research. Perhaps have FAAA written rules pertinent to drone travel.
This is incorrect. Only the batteries and the R/C must be in carry-on. The Mavic itself (without a battery) may be put in checked luggage. Some also suggest that having the bare Mavic in checked luggage may prevent confiscation -- which has been known to happen in some countries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav