DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Tello , or Mini... what to choose?

Shivers

Reactions
Hey all... looking to pick up a toy while the rain is killing my flying.
So, quick easy question.
For fun in the winter time... Tello, or the Mini....and why?
Or maybe both!?
I do have a mavic 2 with SC.... And well.... cant fly that indoors without my heart falling to my stomach.. to many walls and doors. Ha ha ha.

So, mini, or Tello?
Please, folks that own both would be the enjoyed answer. Thanks so much!!

Reactions: Gorbachev
I only own the Mini but I know guys who have the Tello. If you just wanna fly indoor then I'd say the Tello is perfect. Also alot cheaper. The Mini is far greater in all aspects though so if you have the spare cash I think you'd get more usage out of the Mini. You can put the prop guards on and fly indoor and still take it outside and get great footage and flight time.

I guess both Tello and Mini will become quickly boring if just flying around indoors. There is no challenge with flying them this way. Instead, I would propose buying a tinywhoop or cine whoop measuring either 65 or 75mm diagonal width between motors. These are fun flying through doors, windows upstairs, downstairs and are a good excercise for emergency situations with your bigger drone...

I have both and both are good fun. Which one is "better" really depends on what you're looking for in a drone. For quick, cheap(ish) easy flying fun and a few basic photos or videos go for the Tello (and a few spare batteries). For much better photos/videos, longer range flying the MM could be a better choice if you're happy to pay 3x more.

Tello is tiny, quiet, nimble and generally very impressive for the price. It doesn't blow bits of paper all around your living room and is very quick to get set up and in the air (no controller needed). It comes with easily removable prop guards which are handy when flying indoors, but slow it down a bit if outdoors. It does have a short battery life (expect 8-10mins) and the camera isn't great in dull light, although it can produce some impressive results in good light. It can hack flying outdoors very well and will even cope in moderate winds! If flying outdoors I'd recommend a controller and a wifi booster (search for tello xiaomi booster), as the range when just using your phone is typically 50 to 100m, compared to 200-300m with the booster. Altitude is limited to 30m above takeoff point. It's a tough drone - mine has crashed countless times and fallen more than 10m several times, and still flies faultlessly.

The MM really is a different league of drone, being significantly bigger, noisier and faster (approx 30mph compared to approx 18mph top speeds). Battery life on the MM is much longer, and GPS means you can fly it reliably over water/snow and in low light conditions. The gimbal and onboard SD card makes a huge difference for taking videos, with MM videos being smooth and free from jumpiness/signal dropouts compared to the Tello. Range, both vertical and horizontal) is vastly further than the Tello.

Here's what the Tello can do video-wise (shot in dull but relatively calm conditions, with the excellent TelloFPV app, using a Xiaomi wifi repeater powered off a USB powerbank, and using the Gamesir T1s controller connected to phone with a cable)

Resolution is poor on the Tello. I lose connection just 20 feet down the hall both with android and iSO. The mini is much better imo. Planning on getting rid of the Tello.

For winter get the Tello. It is good fun inside and easier to fly and I like how you can quickly set it up with phone. I have both and will keep both. Tello is purely a toy but can get upto 30m in height if you want to fly outside on a calm day, never flown it very far but used it for my business and vacation, got some nice shots.

The Mini really isnt the best choice for indoor flights. It's really not a toy either. It's just labeled as one since its 249 grams, it flys much like its bigger brothers. It's also $400 basic, or $500 with the fly more kit.. The tello on ther other hand is great for indoors and is defenatly a toy and costs $100 basic, or $150 for the fly more kit. In terms of toy drones, there is not one better then the Tello. My sone has a bunch of cheap $20-$40 drones and there is just no comparison. Tello is worth every penny.

I've owned a Spark, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic Mini and a Tello so I would like to think I have a little experience.

Hey all... looking to pick up a toy while the rain is killing my flying.
So, quick easy question.
For fun in the winter time... Tello, or the Mini....and why?
Or maybe both!?
I do have a mavic 2 with SC.... And well.... cant fly that indoors without my heart falling to my stomach.. to many walls and doors. Ha ha ha.

So, mini, or Tello?
Please, folks that own both would be the enjoyed answer. Thanks so much!!
I got a Tello for my grandson who didn’t show any interest in so I’ve used it myself for the same reasons you’re currently thinking about it. I’ve used myself and its pretty imp with what it does at the price point. I have a Mavic 2 Pro and when I can’t use it this a nice one to just fly around.

Get the Tello for indoor use, and also get the Mini since you can pilot it in the rain and snow and all will be well! I don’t solely recommend it but I’ve flown my mini in the snow and it worked /flew perfectly! The Tello and I have had a lot of fun but that 720p video gets to me sometimes. Great for pictures and practicing drone moves with a smaller drone. But definitely get the Mini!!!

The Tello not having the capability of an onboard SD card or single access gimbal is indeed annoying. To get a subject in a shot requires changing altitude which often is not ideal. And relying on Wi-Fi transmission for video capture severely reduces getting what the camera is probably capable of.
It also has trouble dealing with moderately light winds.
Otherwise it is a neat quad.

We have two Tellos and a Mini. I would recommend both as each is in it's own league. The Tello is pure fun, can fly outside in high wind and has a good VPS that keeps it in place, if there is enough light. You buy it for flying, not taking pictures or recording videos. You might need a signal booster (Xiaomi Mi WiFi Repeater) to get far. The little one is also very resistant to direct collision with walls and trees, what the Mini itself is just not. The Mini again has a superior range, superior camera and flight time. And I've almost forgot, the Tello might be easily lost in snow and there is no location feature on the remote control app. If you are willing to spend 6 usd in Google Store, you can get a premium 3rd party FPV App that is much better. It's made by Volatel!o.

Last edited:
Reactions: scro
You're right.. let me quickly correct that.

[QUOTE = "Shivers, publicación: 878724, miembro: 107038"]
Hola a todos ... buscando recoger un juguete mientras la lluvia está matando mi vuelo.
Entonces, una pregunta rápida y fácil.
Para divertirse en invierno ... Tello, o Mini ... y ¿por qué?
¿O tal vez ambos?
Tengo un mavic 2 con SC ... Y bueno ... no puedo volar eso adentro sin que mi corazón se caiga al estómago ... a muchas paredes y puertas. Jajaja.

Entonces, ¿mini o Tello?
Por favor, las personas que poseen ambos serían la respuesta que disfrutarían. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!
[/CITAR]
sin duda mini
El Tello es más bien un juguete para maniobras bajo techo. El Mini es bastante capaz en exteriores y toma unas muy buenas fotos y videos. Te recomiendo el MM y si es posible el fly more combo.

We have two Tellos and a Mini. I would recommend both as each is in it's own league. The Tello is pure fun, can fly outside in high wind and has a good VPS that keeps it in place, if there is enough light. You buy it for flying, not taking pictures or recording videos. You might need a signal booster (Xiaomi Mi WiFi Repeater) to get far. The little one is also very resistant to direct collision with walls and trees, what the Mini itself is just not. The Mini again has a superior range, superior camera and flight time. And I've almost forgot, the Tello might be easily lost in snow and there is no location feature on the remote control app. If you are willing to spend 6 usd in Google Store, you can get a premium 3rd party FPV App that is much better. It's made by Volatel!o.
You are able to fly the Tello in high winds? I'd like to see that. For me, past 5mph winds it's hard to control if at all.
One other drawback is when it crashes, the props pop off, especially if they've been taken off before, as they are press fit onto the brush motor shaft. I swear those props intentionally run and hide when they pop off. But you can get 5 sets in different colors for around $10.

But still my favorite mess around quad.

I have none as i did not record mine and am busy flying. Below you'll find two from Youtube.

Tello in high winds

Tello in Huricane

Yeah.. Props are just looking for an excuse to pop off. But again, they're cheap and consumables.
What I've observed is in order to allow it to keep steady, you need to stay withing 10m height so the Visual Positioning System can work as designed. If you fly it over 10m it does drift.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne