DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Temperature related problem or what?

iFlyByNyte

Reactions
This happened to me twice now. I was flying in -3 Celsius and I partially lost connection...

I could still control the drone and the camera was still transmitting, but that's it. Data wasn't updating, photo/video functions weren't working, collision sensors neither. Anyone else had this happen? Is it temperature related or something else?

Basically, it became 100% manual flight with video.

EDIT: Some additional info, the last time it happened the battery was around 35% on the drone, like 80% on the remote. Once I rebooted both drone and remote the issue was resolved and did not reoccur during the mission. It happened on two different missions..

Last edited:
This happened to me twice now. I was flying in -3 Celsius and I partially lost connection...

I could still control the drone and the camera was still transmitting, but that's it. Data wasn't updating, photo/video functions weren't working, collision sensors neither. Anyone else had this happen? Is it temperature related or something else?

The Mavic 2 is rated -10°C to 40°C, so your within parameters. Seems to point to another issue. To darn cold to fly for me anyway :p

I could still control the drone and the camera was still transmitting, but that's it. Data wasn't updating,
Temperature has no effect on radio signals.
You were on the edge of losing connection, but not quite there.
photo/video functions weren't working, collision sensors neither.
Why do you think the collision sensors weren't working?
They are independent of your phone/tablet and the signal connection and still work in loss of signal RTH.

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

It's quite unusual that only the user interface in the GO4 app stops working but the the live view stream & RC control still works ... if starting to lose connection. The first sign of being on the verge of losing connection usually is a lost live stream.

I suspect that it's your mobile device that can't cope with the temperature ... if this only happens after having the mobile device out in that temperature for a extended period then you probably have the culprit there.

Hi there & welcome to the forum ? :D

It's quite unusual that only the user interface in the GO4 app stops working but the the live view stream & RC control still works ... if starting to lose connection. The first sign of being on the verge of losing connection usually is a lost live stream.

I suspect that it's your mobile device that can't cope with the temperature ... if this only happens after having the mobile device out in that temperature for a extended period then you probably have the culprit there.

Hey and thanks!

I agree it's unusual, makes no sense to me lol

Also, I'm using the smart controller.

Temperature has no effect on radio signals.
You were on the edge of losing connection, but not quite there.

Why do you think the collision sensors weren't working?
They are independent of your phone/tablet and the signal connection and still work in loss of signal RTH.
I knew the collision sensors weren't working because the spot where I was taking off was tight enough to get the audible warnings. They weren't audible when landing.

I knew the collision sensors weren't working because the spot where I was taking off was tight enough to get the audible warnings. They weren't audible when landing.
Were lighting conditions sufficient for the sensors to work?

It was most probably your screen device getting cold. I fly a lot in cold weather (construction) and I get that after having been out in the cold for some time. My iPad gets cold and the video starts breaking up, even though everything has plenty of charge in it. When Lipo batteries get cold, they don't like it. Warm up your screen device, and see if it goes away.

EDIT: Some additional info, the last time it happened the battery was around 35% on the drone, like 80% on the remote. Once I rebooted both drone and remote the issue was resolved and did not reoccur during the mission. It happened on two different missions..
I flew all winter in -15C and -10C with no problems on a mini. Watch here to see:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan