DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Terrible Tilly?

According to Google maps it is .5 miles from the closest point on land which is Bird Point. It has been successfully done before but conditions can change incredibly fast.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Do some research on where you intend t launch from. Ecola State Park is one of the closest spots along the coast to the lighthouse but drones are not allowed in that specific park. I found a nice resource for winds on a wind surfer web site that could be useful for your planning.

According to Google maps it is .5 miles from the closest point on land which is Bird Point. It has been successfully done before but conditions can change incredibly fast.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

I don't believe that is correct. I looked and my measurement was about 1.3 miles - I looked on wikipedia, and it shows 1.2 miles offshore:

I don't think I'd attempt doing that with a mini - you need something that is better in wind I think. Even if it were calm on shore, I'd be concerned there would be weird gusts around the rock.

There was just a work group that went out there for 2 or 3 days to do some "sprucing up" (they did some painting and general cleanup I guess).

Reactions: Nanny Ogg
My CE spec Mavic Mini reached 2km over open sea, I have seen another one reach farther over the sea. I'd have thought 1.25 miles was a walk in the park for a Mini 3. Whether it's legal is an entirely different matter lol.

OP's problem is going to be finding a launch point that keeps Terrible Tillie within that range. The closest point in land for the references above is in an Oregon State Park that does not allow drones. The island itself is part of the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge which is a No Fly Zone for drones (1000' minimum flight floor for all aircraft). The water is not in a No Fly zone but all 1800+ islands off the Oregon coast are.

My CE spec Mavic Mini reached 2km over open sea, I have seen another one reach farther over the sea. I'd have thought 1.25 miles was a walk in the park for a Mini 3. Whether it's legal is an entirely different matter lol.

It wouldn't be the distance that would concern me. They don't call it "Terrible Tilly" for nothing.... Maybe I'm being over cautious, but strange winds would be my biggest concern and anything mini would not fare as well as a full size drone.

As far as legality goes, I found a posting on facebook of someone doing a drone overflight, but my guess is that was a special case - he said he was the "official" drone pilot for the lighthouse.

It wouldn't be the distance that would concern me. They don't call it "Terrible Tilly" for nothing.... Maybe I'm being over cautious, but strange winds would be my biggest concern and anything mini would not fare as well as a full size drone.

As far as legality goes, I found a posting on facebook of someone doing a drone overflight, but my guess is that was a special case - he said he was the "official" drone pilot for the lighthouse.
What then is your concern? Wind?

I’ve seen a few videos in YouTube. My fear was the wind and weather changing so quickly. I have a Mav air 2 that would probably make it but finding a launch spot will be tough and praying it don’t lose it at sea lol

So how far is theirs lighthouse from shore? Would a mini 3 pro make it there a back? I know I’ll need a gorgeous day or lots of risk wind coming back
Make sure the winds are little or non
You may get the I can't come back you are on your own warning! :oops:
I hate that when it happens!

So how far is theirs lighthouse from shore? Would a mini 3 pro make it there a back? I know I’ll need a gorgeous day or lots of risk wind coming back
Love to see what you get

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji