DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Test flight ended in Drone Confrontation :-(

heo3480

Reactions
Test flight ended in drone confrontation with the birdman that decided to put an end to my mission. Luckily I caught everything on camera.

Have you experienced anything like this? and how did you handle it?

About all you can do is state that I'm a registered drone pilot doing a business video and have written permission (assuming you have paperwork) to fly there. If he persists, packup or tell him to call the authrities.

Agree, I should never have gotten into a discussion with this guy.. I will be better prepared next time

I wonder if you would have been wearing a more commercial attire, would the guy have still approached you with the same demeanor? It's funny how people profile you depending what you are wearing and make a judgement about you. Seems like he might think of himself as some kind of a self appointed ranger and knew more about the rules than you "a dude flying a drone" :eek:. Telling him you had a permit to fly that area also seemed to shut him down a bit. That would have been my first statement to him but it's a flip of the coin whether or not he would have believed you.

I will never forget the first time I flew my first drone. The neighbor said "Oh no!" and I asked what was wrong. She said she was worried about her privacy and someone taking naked pictures of her. I assured her I had no desire to take any pictures of her.
People are always trying to be in "charge" of their little world. People only react for only two reason, to keep what they got or to get what they do not have.
He was trying to keep what he thought was "his" and you was changing it. You was not in the wrong but you can see where he was coming from.
Thanks for the video and I am always prepared for someone who is not happy about something. Even when you are out in the middle of no where.
I like coming up with reason why I am flying in a certain area like looking for someones lost pet or something more shocking.

I do my flying wearing the neon green vest stating "FAA licensed drone pilot". This has served me well so far but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the law of averages catches up to me.

So here's my story. I'm in Hawaii flying my drone out over the ocean taking video and pictures of my wife and daughter pushing each off a paddle board. All of a sudden some lady comes up and is taking video of me with her phone. She asks if that's my drone out there and I said yes. She then asks me if I know I'm flying over two teenage girls. I told her I'm sure my wife would appreciate the compliment but it was in fact my wife and daughter. She was being pretty snooty so I said yes I'm sure, I banged one to make the other so I'm pretty sure I know who they are. She then tried to accuse me of flying my drone outside her hotel window the night before. Now seeing that this was the first time the drone came out of the case on this vacation I knew she was crazy. But she was being a real ***** at this point. So me being me I told her that if I was going to be a perv and fly a drone outside someone's hotel room window I would have chosen someone even a little bit more attractive than her. She finally had enough insults and left. When she did though she actually swam out to where my wife and daughter were on the paddle board and asked them if they knew me. I probably didn't do any favors for the drone community in general but I have low tolerance for idiots and ******** and she was both. I was absolutely doing nothing illegal but yet she wanted to stick her phone in my face and be a jerk.

So here's my story. I'm in Hawaii flying my drone out over the ocean taking video and pictures of my wife and daughter pushing each off a paddle board. All of a sudden some lady comes up and is taking video of me with her phone. She asks if that's my drone out there and I said yes. She then asks me if I know I'm flying over two teenage girls. I told her I'm sure my wife would appreciate the compliment but it was in fact my wife and daughter. She was being pretty snooty so I said yes I'm sure, I banged one to make the other so I'm pretty sure I know who they are. She then tried to accuse me of flying my drone outside her hotel window the night before. Now seeing that this was the first time the drone came out of the case on this vacation I knew she was crazy. But she was being a real ***** at this point. So me being me I told her that if I was going to be a perv and fly a drone outside someone's hotel room window I would have chosen someone even a little bit more attractive than her. She finally had enough insults and left. When she did though she actually swam out to where my wife and daughter were on the paddle board and asked them if they knew me. I probably didn't do any favors for the drone community in general but I have low tolerance for idiots and ******** and she was both. I was absolutely doing nothing illegal but yet she wanted to stick her phone in my face and be a jerk.

At the end of the day, many of these paranoid nuts are going to land themselves in legal trouble. It's best to stay calm and state the facts as you did (with a cherry on top haha). I was flying the other day around my house and my neighbors were in one of my shots. They were waving at the drone and at the time I had no idea they were in the shot. I was flying at around 75feet and they still look like specs. I emailed the photo to them and told them about my new drone purchase, in part because it was a good photo, but also because I wanted to show them that a 24mm camera isn't going to see much unless it's a couple of feet from them.

Reactions: heo3480

I find it a little ironic that this crazy lady and people like her seem to think it is ok to take a video of the drone operator without the drone operators consent because they think the drone operator is taking a video of someone else without that person's consent. It's a crazy world we live in and the crazies are breeding faster than the rest of us.

I will never forget the first time I flew my first drone. The neighbor said "Oh no!" and I asked what was wrong. She said she was worried about her privacy and someone taking naked pictures of her. I assured her I had no desire to take any pictures of her.
People are always trying to be in "charge" of their little world. People only react for only two reason, to keep what they got or to get what they do not have.
He was trying to keep what he thought was "his" and you was changing it. You was not in the wrong but you can see where he was coming from.
Thanks for the video and I am always prepared for someone who is not happy about something. Even when you are out in the middle of no where.
I like coming up with reason why I am flying in a certain area like looking for someones lost pet or something more shocking.

I had a perfectly good reason for flying, but I will not go into a discussion next time as this leads nowhere and they have no authority. It's easier said than done, but I will try

To help eliminate this kind of problem, I have this day glow vest

I have one of these, but never wear when I'm making tutorials for youtube. I have used it when flying for clients, and it helps making it look official

Loved the story anyway

I always enjoy your videos, thanks for taking the time and sharing Thumbswayup

It is actually illegal to go up to a pilot whilst flying and engage in conversation . So it’s important for them to wait till you land the craft prior , to avoid a potential distaster, due to distraction. So your well in your rights to tell them to back off and wait till you land.

Reactions: Drbobk
It is actually illegal to go up to a pilot whilst flying and engage in conversation.

Hey ven, are you speaking of the U.S? Could you post a link to that law? I've never seen that law in the U.S. but, if true, I'd like to carry a printout with me while flying my drone. (honestly, it sounds like fake news. who would believe it?)

Reactions: ven
Hey ven, are you speaking of the U.S? Could you post a link to that law? I've never seen that law in the U.S. but, if true, I'd like to carry a printout with me while flying my drone. (honestly, it sounds like fake news. who would believe it?)
It’s quoted from drone safe, scroll down to the what to do- speak to the pilot section

Reactions: SW_Drone_Guy
It’s quoted from drone safe, scroll down to the what to do- speak to the pilot section

Thanks, ven. It is true then- in the UK only? I guess I won't be able to toss that around here in the US...
Maybe I could say, "You know, I'm flying a drone and if we were in England it would be illegal for you to just walk up to me and start bellyaching!" LOL Thanks again, ven.

Reactions: ven
I would have thought it applies to other countries , with the potential distractions of the pilot. No doubt a variable SW_Drone_Guy, but its defo worth a thought and to use. If someone comes out of a bush aggressive or challenging, politely telling them to back off and wait till you land. They are not going to know the exact laws/rules . Thinking about it, you have a drone a few 100 foot away, it could be a potential disaster if side tracked.

Thanks, ven. It is true then- in the UK only? I guess I won't be able to toss that around here in the US...
Maybe I could say, "You know, I'm flying a drone and if we were in England it would be illegal for you to just walk up to me and start bellyaching!" LOL Thanks again, ven.

Another way of looking at it.
Short copy/paste
UAS operators and remote pilots are also reminded that ANO Article 241 provides that a person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.

So if distracted, its very easy to argue you could potentially endager others or property around . In no way is it unreasonable to ask the person to back off and wait.

Maybe have a look at laws your side to do with piloting any unmanned craft, just a thought.

Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WTF-N1466