DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Test flight ended in Drone Confrontation :-(

If that had happened to me I would have had to bite very hard on my tongue. There is also every chance he would have ended up swimming! No, this is not bravado. I have a quite short fuse! Yes, it has got me into trouble on quite a few occassions. Those of you who know STREETFIGHTERS magazine, I was the photographer for the magazine from the very start right through to the last issue a couple of years ago. Steve Berry was the launch editor... this kind of confrontation was a daily occurance when photographing NO2 or turbo bikes back in the 90s... our motto, we even had T shirts printed with it, was : "No regard for personal safety"

Yes it got us into trouble. Yes I had countless confrontations. Yes, I enjoyed them. Yes, I came out on top and I am still here, taking pictures!

Do not expect a polite response from me if I am exercising my legal right. The same with shooting - people try to tell me I am not allowed to shoot my rifles in my garden. BOLLOCKS.

Last edited:
Reactions: LazerMan
I find it a little ironic that this crazy lady and people like her seem to think it is ok to take a video of the drone operator without the drone operators consent because they think the drone operator is taking a video of someone else without that person's consent. It's a crazy world we live in and the crazies are breeding faster than the rest of us.
You don't need anyones consent to take their picture if their out in public.

Reactions: KingRat
You don't need anyones consent to take their picture if their out in public.

I think it might depend on where you are, what you are doing and what you mean by “need.” You can experiment by walking up to strangers on the street, put a camera in their face and take a photo and then observe their reaction. If they object or ask any questions, then say you are in public I can take your picture if I feel like it. Once again, observe reaction and report back. For a proper random sample, do it at least 100 times during daylight and at night.

• Haha
Reactions: pelagic_one
Test flight ended in drone confrontation with the birdman that decided to put an end to my mission. Luckily I caught everything on camera.

Have you experienced anything like this? and how did you handle it?

Ive had people threaten to throw rocks and snowballs etc at my drones when they dont know im around. Luckily im a fairly big guy and when i walk up and say thats not a good idea they usually say they were joking. Unfortunet how theres this stigma at least in my city that drone users are up to no good.

Ive had people threaten to throw rocks and snowballs etc at my drones when they dont know im around. Luckily im a fairly big guy and when i walk up and say thats not a good idea they usually say they were joking. Unfortunet how theres this stigma at least in my city that drone users are up to no good.

Some aren't.
But then MANY car drivers are up to no good, some motorcyclists are up to no good, a large number of scooter riders are up to no good (favourite form of transport for drugs around the cities), many, many bicyclists are no more than lycra louts..... every walk of life or activity has its share of 'wronguns'.

Test flight ended in drone confrontation with the birdman that decided to put an end to my mission. Luckily I caught everything on camera.

Its nice to know that AS HOLES. are common throughout the world...lol...be safe fly smart my friend

"Feel free to press the dislike button. Twice."

Good one.

Reactions: Pietros

If you lived in the US you could have just pulled out your 45 and said "this gives me permission to fly! Any more questions?" Of course, I am just kidding. I saw your video a few days ago on Youtube and I think you handled it well. This will not be the last time.

Key to not having to deal with the un-educable is never fly around them.
I head to the mountains, if I see someone I simply don't fly.
I have my gear well setup so that I can pack up in seconds and I just drive off.
Never had a problem with someone.... because no one ever had the chance.

. I was absolutely doing nothing illegal but yet she wanted to stick her phone in my face and be a jerk.

I found out the hard way there's an entire cadre of bored housewives out there that make mountian out of molehill confrontational videos to post on YouTube.
All I can figure is they somehow feel "empowered" to do this nonsense.
In may case this lady didn't feel like I stopped long enough at a 4 way stop. She screeched a 360 in teh intersection to chase me down the street, pulled up next to me in the wrong side of the road (at 25 mph) cackling like a hyena as she pointed a cellphone at me and shouting at me (for the camera) about how she was going to make me famous for running a stop sign. My younger friend at work told me about the YouTubers that do this crap.
Absolutely crazy people out there.

Key to not having to deal with the un-educable is never fly around them.
I head to the mountains, if I see someone I simply don't fly.
I have my gear well setup so that I can pack up in seconds and I just drive off.
Never had a problem with someone.... because no one ever had the chance.

I refuse to let some idiots dictate where I'm legally allowed to fly - But I will be better prepared next time

Reactions: Classic flyer
I always enjoy your videos, thanks for taking the time and sharing Thumbswayup

It is actually illegal to go up to a pilot whilst flying and engage in conversation . So it’s important for them to wait till you land the craft prior , to avoid a potential distaster, due to distraction. So your well in your rights to tell them to back off and wait till you land.

Thank you for your support :)

Reactions: ven

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu