DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Test results stitching 7x mosaic to make high resolution images.

Bussty

Reactions
Site
andrewbusst.wixsite.com
So the aim was to test the usefulness of the 7x lens in capturing a mosaic or grid of overlapping images then stitch these to see if you could use the 7x to make a higher quality image of an effective lens range between the 1x of the main camera and say 6x zoom. This test involved a 4 x 3 grid overlapping by 30% each shot and resulting in close to double the pixels (edge to edge) of the main lens. However this was just one scenario you could go all the way and beyond of the view of the 1x camera and have say 16 x 12 images if you wanted and that is the beauty of this technique (if your subject isn't moving). You can scale it up from any zoom below 7x in other words capture any static subject in the range of any 6x or less and achieve high quality has that ever been achievable on a consumer drone before?

I used PTGUI stitcher but you could use Microsoft ICE and that's free or any other stitching software. I really like PTGUI though.

James from this forum very kindly took these images as I don't own the M3 yet (But I think I will!)

So first up to get your bearings here is the first test scene... The image on the right is a stitch (I haven't cropped it) of 4 x 3 images taken with the 7x it could have easily been any combination, 8x6, 12x8, 30x20 anything. The image on the right is the 1x view from the main camera. Note this is just to get your bearings, actual files are in the ink below.

1 1x and stitch.JPG

...and here is the comparison zooming in on the 7x stitched sequence and matching the zoom with the 1x view... (left = stitched right = 1x)

Compare 2.JPG

Here is the second scene... 1x on the left and 4x3 7x stitch on the right

2 1x and stitch.JPG

...and here is the matching zoom of both...

Compare 1.JPG

I think the quality and the possibilities are just great. Make sure you download the images to see the best quality the difference is night and day.

I have also attached a link to the originals as the stitches are too big!

Link to original files

Thanks for doing this James on the strength of this and being a stills photographer I think I will definitely be getting the Mavic 3!

Thanks for doing this James on the strength of this and being a stills photographer I think I will definitely be getting the Mavic 3!
Amazing results!!

Anytime my friend . . . I'll do the mega capture tomorrow when I get to the office ☺️‼️

Reactions: Bussty
I know and it was great but wanted to see the relativity between the overall view of the Main Camera and what the 7x was seeing. I think I posted that somewhere?
Relativity? As I understood it, you were interested in sharpness and resolution to create gigapanos. The 7x is clearly sharper than a cropped 1x to match the same field of view. You don't need anything more than a single image from each, taken from the same location at the same time to determine that. The stitching is only as good as the individual images. The limitations of the 7x camera are only being able to record in JPG and its less than stellar fixed f/4.4 aperture on a relatively small 1/2” sensor, which become more apparent at night, and in low light, where the necessarily higher ISO will cause image degradation vs. the f/2.8 much larger MFT sensor on the main camera, recording in DNG. In good lighting, the 7x will always outperform the 1x camera. The tradeoff is manually shooting all the necessary 7x pano images and stitching them vs. the fully automated and stitched 1x HiRes panos, with a cloned in ceiling, in less than 75 seconds!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa