DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFR vs DJI Authorization zones

VA Farms

Reactions
Hello, as many are aware there are ongoing wild fires in California. This has caused TFR zones, I get it and understand the purpose of them. We don’t need the public with drones endangering fire fighting efforts.

My issue is that those TFR zones are very specific in the B4UFLY app. But when I try to fly or look at dji go4 app it has very large blue circles. Those circles extend way outside of the FAA TFR zones. I am 10-20 miles away and dji is telling me I’m in a nfz. I used the controller to reluctantly agree to its terms, but apparently I’m on the edge of two of these blue circles it let me take off but wouldn’t allow me to land. I had to land on my neighbors property and go get my drone.

I have been emailing dji and they want a bunch of information to unlock my drone for the area, I’m asking them to fix their geo zone.

This is very frustrating as when I have time to fly, now I’m just fighting with DJI.

Here is a thread thatshows the maps to give you a better idea of the issue-

Thank you for any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

Did you forget the link to the reference thread?

No Big Al I didn’t forget to put the link. I left a space for it, posted, went and copied the link, came back and edited my post and inserted the link and saved the edit. Once that was done I exited the thread and refreshed my browser and my post was no where to be found. I refreshed several times and it never showed up. I figured since I was a new user the system flagged my post because it had the link. So I started a new post that explained what I said above (that’s the one you flagged as a duplicate) so I could try and get an answer. Thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07
It's a limitation to how DJI are doing their "GeoZones". Instead of having "Accurate shapes" they simply use the big blue DOT process which is the easiest method and works well in many instances.

I seriously doubt DJI is going to "Allow" any flights because IIRC they would open you up for the whole area (which includes the valid TFR) which could indeed open them up to some degree of liability. I don't see it happening but I've been wrong many times before.

Thanks Big Al! Yah, that’s pretty much what I told them in my email is if they unlock me to fly outside the real TFR, their unlock would allow me to fly in the actual TFR (I’m not doing that).

It is an odd system and ruined a weekend of flights for me. I might try their unlock, but I’m not even sure that I have a DJI account (registered email) that they are asking for. Plus there are about 3 or 4 zone’s that overlap in the area I would be trying to fly, so is that an unlock for each blue circle and they have not even said if these are 24hr unlocks or what time/date period that they cover?

Thanks Big Al! Yah, that’s pretty much what I told them in my email is if they unlock me to fly outside the real TFR, their unlock would allow me to fly in the actual TFR (I’m not doing that).

It is an odd system and ruined a weekend of flights for me. I might try their unlock, but I’m not even sure that I have a DJI account (registered email) that they are asking for. Plus there are about 3 or 4 zone’s that overlap in the area I would be trying to fly, so is that an unlock for each blue circle and they have not even said if these are 24hr unlocks or what time/date period that they cover?

Just a note, you had to use one to register your drone when you first bought it and to be activly using the Go App, so you indeed "Have One" Thumbswayup As for time frame on unlocks, that information can be found on DJI site, but the just is if you do it on App it is 24 hrs. If you do it online it is 3 days and you can request up to 30 zones on the request. Link below :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Thanks for the replies everyone! I was able to log in and unlock the restrictions on the laptop. The link would not work on my phone. I am still annoyed by the way DJI’s NFZ don’t actually match the TFR areas, but I’m flying again.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute