DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Thacher Island Flyover

I am just curious, amongst the Brits here does the name of the island raise eyebrows or hair?
Turns out I mispelled the name of "Thacher" Island. Nothing to do with her. More info here:

Thatcher Island is a historic site located off the coast of Rockport, MA (USA). It's the only two-lighthouse island in the US.

Thatcher Island is a historic site located off the coast of Rockport, MA (USA). It's the only two-lighthouse island in the US.

Nice clips!I live not far and have still photographed it as I have no video editing skills.If i may ask,where do you launch from.DM me if you like.Thanks.

I did post a thread with a few stills, as well. It's a nice site.

I launched from a spot called "Loblolly Point." It's located, surprise, on a rocky point that very close to the islands. There's some nice scenery in addition to the islands. I live in NE MA, so this site is not to far for me; less than an hour.

I am just curious, amongst the Brits here does the name of the island raise eyebrows or hair?
As a Yank, Ii never crossed my mind, personally. You must be ultra sensitive to the name because she was the Prime Minister.

Now...if the name was Trump!......

I did post a thread with a few stills, as well. It's a nice site.

I launched from a spot called "Loblolly Point." It's located, surprise, on a rocky point that very close to the islands. There's some nice scenery in addition to the islands. I live in NE MA, so this site is not to far for me; less than an hour.
Thanks.I've launched from there and near Ruthern Way.Cape Ann has great scenery and no airports!

Reactions: dmanthree
As a Yank, Ii never crossed my mind, personally.
That's why I said "amongst the Brits here ". I would guess that opinions amongst Brits will be polarised about her.
I always wonder who Pete Postlethwaite's speech at the end of the film "Brassed Off" is aimed at, text here

or perhaps

If you like GOOD brass band music the film is worth watching, I think the real band was Grimethorpe Colliery Band, I could hear when the film first came out 😍

As for the other person ............
Oh, lol, the band plays an arrangement of Concierto de Aranjuez, known as “Orange Juice” in the film 🤣

Last edited:
Oh come on, she wasn't THAT bad was she? Here is a ground based image of one of the light houses...

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_230028_897.jpg
    IMG_20230219_230028_897.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 4
thanks, I just had the guts to fly my drone all the way out there... It can get very windy which worries me :)
If you take off from Loblloy Point it's not far at all. And I had 20MPH winds but they posed no problem. I want to do a flyover of Straitmouth Island next, but need to find a good spot to launch. All residential out there and no place to park.

Reactions: New England Droning
If you take off from Loblloy Point it's not far at all. And I had 20MPH winds but they posed no problem. I want to do a flyover of Straitmouth Island next, but need to find a good spot to launch. All residential out there and no place to park.
Been there, I shoot from loblolly as well.
Fot straitsmouth I would park down town and walk to the headlands and launch from there.

Reactions: dmanthree
Beautiful scenery, which drone were you flying? Flying over water is like a golf shot over water. Even though the mechanics are the same, it still makes me nervous!

Reactions: Old Glory
Beautiful scenery, which drone were you flying? Flying over water is like a golf shot over water. Even though the mechanics are the same, it still makes me nervous!
I was flying the 3 Classic. Love it. Nice combination of price/performance. As far as fling over water, well, it doesn't concern me. I posted a message in another forum, one that I was roundly criticized for, where I flew out to the Isles of Shoals, but came up short. The drone was over open ocean and six miles out. The LED was on and I could see it with binoculars, but still, questionable. Anyway, the drone came home with about 15% power remaining.

• Wow
I was flying the 3 Classic. Love it. Nice combination of price/performance. As far as fling over water, well, it doesn't concern me. I posted a message in another forum, one that I was roundly criticized for, where I flew out to the Isles of Shoals, but came up short. The drone was over open ocean and six miles out. The LED was on and I could see it with binoculars, but still, questionable. Anyway, the drone came home with about 15% power remaining.
Yeah that is a bit far out (IMHO) but dropping in the ocean is on you. We each have to make that gut call as to what we can take. Risk avoidance is up to each pilot. I've got the Mavic 3 pro and I know it's got good leggs but I do the risk assessment and based on the fact that I'm not willing to loose my drone because it went too far, this keeps me from doing some things. In the Thacher light house issue, I'm looking at winds aloft and am I taking a chance of not getting it back safely at the T/O point.
I may fly out the 1/2 mile to the LH but only under the most favorable conditions...

Yeah that is a bit far out (IMHO) but dropping in the ocean is on you. We each have to make that gut call as to what we can take. Risk avoidance is up to each pilot. I've got the Mavic 3 pro and I know it's got good leggs but I do the risk assessment and based on the fact that I'm not willing to loose my drone because it went too far, this keeps me from doing some things. In the Thacher light house issue, I'm looking at winds aloft and am I taking a chance of not getting it back safely at the T/O point.
I may fly out the 1/2 mile to the LH but only under the most favorable conditions...
I usually take the advice of the Air Control app. It's been pretty reliable. But yeah, the pilot is fully responsible for the drone, regardless of the rules. I have no problem with that. FWIW, I had some decent winds at Thacher, but no problem getting back. Fly high with the wind, low against it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne