DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thailand

bushie

Reactions
I know there has been much discussion about flying in Thailand, and the last couple of days I have read dozens of comments from various sources, but here goes.

I am flying to Phuket on Monday and will be staying at Nai Yang, near the airport for a month. I have not made any attempt to get a permit for Thailand as it appears you must be in country to even apply and the time to get a permit seems to be many months.

I know that I cannot fly there, but would like to take my MP1 and fly around some of the beaches and headlands a safe distance from the airport. We have a car and will probably make some longer drives on the mainland to the north and I know some beautiful scenery there.

At the moment I will probably not take my UAV but would welcome any comments

I know there has been much discussion about flying in Thailand, and the last couple of days I have read dozens of comments from various sources, but here goes.

I am flying to Phuket on Monday and will be staying at Nai Yang, near the airport for a month. I have not made any attempt to get a permit for Thailand as it appears you must be in country to even apply and the time to get a permit seems to be many months.

I know that I cannot fly there, but would like to take my MP1 and fly around some of the beaches and headlands a safe distance from the airport. We have a car and will probably make some longer drives on the mainland to the north and I know some beautiful scenery there.

At the moment I will probably not take my UAV but would welcome any comments

Well now sitting enjoying the humidity in phuket. Bought my UAV with me in a camera bag with other cameras. No problems. Not even a question.

Now to work up the courage to fly.

Reactions: Former Member
Thailand over the ocean or rural areas is generally fine.
They're banned in national parks so Phang Nga where you are etc is off limits. Also not allowed over crowded areas such as the beaches (so stay over the water not over or near people).

From Phuket there is decent flying around the Promthep cape on the south of the island, or head into Phang Nga province for a flight around the mangrove forests and limestone pinnacles leading to the bay (easy and remains outside the national park).

Well now sitting enjoying the humidity in phuket. Bought my UAV with me in a camera bag with other cameras. No problems. Not even a question.

Now to work up the courage to fly.

Beautiful there. I lived near Patong for a while. My GF at the time told me of the "night bees." I was scared to go out at night until I realized she was telling me there was a "nice breeze", not "night bees."

Beautiful there. I lived near Patong for a while. My GF at the time told me of the "night bees." I was scared to go out at night until I realized she was telling me there was a "nice breeze", not "night bees."
Had a look at the beach/inlet at the hot springs yesterday (one of our favorite places) looks suitably deserted so will go for a fly when next we go there.

Reactions: Former Member
Had a look at the beach/inlet at the hot springs yesterday (one of our favorite places) looks suitably deserted so will go for a fly when next we go there.

So how was your whole trip, any problems flying, any hassles from the authorities?

Also anyone know about flying in the Phi Phi island or up in Chiang Mai? I would assume most of Bangkok would be off limits.

I never had any problems. Checked with local people and no one objected most just interested. My videos are posted here.

OK so they ask for copy of your passport, a copy of your insurance policy which lists the drone model and serial number.

This is drone liability insurance, not insurance for covering damage to the drone, like the State Farm policy.

As far as I know, Americans can't get liability insurance for recreational use outside the United States.

I guess it's impossible for Americans to register for drone use in Thailand for non-commercial use.

Thanks, found some links.

Looks like some services will actually get you through the registration process too, for a fee.

Seems like a giant PITA. Not sure I will bother with it. It will be a 9 day trip, 3 in Bangkok, which is off limits.

3 days in Chiang Mai, where I understand the town is close to the airport anyways.

Then 3 days around Phuket, one of which will be a trip to Phi-Phi.

So at most maybe 3 or 4 days when I would try to fly.

These Thai insurance companies want $100 or more for the policy but who knows how financially reliable they are. Will they pay up claims? Well when I'm out of the country, they may not bother.

If they were offering worldwide policy, then it would make more sense. I will pay a couple of hundred for a 1-year global policy but not for just one country and who knows if they're dodgy or not.

Well the Thailand authorities tell me one of the requirements is a picture of my passport with a visa or entry stamp showing that I'm in Thailand, meaning I can't apply for permission to fly until I'm once in country.

So I would imagine these services who get you through the application process for $150 or more probably have some in with the govt.

I wasn't going to bother with going through the process but just saw a show around Phucket.

Nothing stopping you getting the visa before you enter if you want to do it.

I don't even think US passports require visas to visit Thailand.

Requires for the standard 30 day tourism no.
But you can still obtain ahead from any embassy which would meet the requirements for a permit.

Requires for the standard 30 day tourism no.
But you can still obtain ahead from any embassy which would meet the requirements for a permit.

It would be $40 and sending them my passport for who knows how long.

Then insurance and apparently there are Thai insurance companies (who knows how reliable) which want over $100 for policies.

Costs add up and this is only for a 9-day visit.

I guess I just won't fly there. Also going to Hong Kong on this trip so will just look to fly there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots