DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thanking Thinking Thinking

Pmason718

Reactions
I've owned a few DJI drones and recently I sold my Mavic Pro and now I'm thinking about picking up a Zoom and reason not to? Now that it's been out for a few weeks what do you guys like and dislike?

I absolutely LOVE my Zoom. I use the camera zoom feature on virtually every flight, and I'm honestly not a good enough photographer to take advantage of the wiz-bang features of the Pro version. For less experienced pilots and photographers, the Zoom lets you do all you need to do, from a safe(r) distance.

Prior to getting the Zoom, I flew fixed lens drones for 3 years. ( I had a hexacopter with a GoPro for a year, then upgraded to a Phantom 4 that I flew for two more years).

The variable focal length really adds a completely new dimension to flying & filming.. I've taken to using 1080P at 30 FPS in order to take advantage of the 2X optical + 2X lossless digital zoom (24mm to 96mm). You don't get the lossless 2X digital zoom if using 1080P at 60 frames or when using 4K. Then you're limited to the 2X optical zoom.

Like Rusty in Bend indicates in his post above.. I also use the zoom feature on just about every flight. It's so handy.. If you're flying along at 400 feet and see something interesting on the ground, you can zoom in for a closer look. When fully zoomed, it's effectively like you're flying at under 100 feet.

I have no real complaints. Everything does what it's supposed to do.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
It would be interesting to know how many "Pro" buyers actually take advantage of the ultra-professional camera features. My guess is "not many", but they'd definitely use the zoom on most flights, just like we do.

I'm totally happy with my M2Z choice.

I did see a video yesterday where the guy found that the PRO could zoom a small amount. Brettgaramella.com (I think)

Actually I believe that is in the manual. It's just that they didn't call it zoom. It's certainly not continuous zoom, just a stepped change of FOV, and I don't think you can change it mid-recording.

Actually I believe that is in the manual. It's just that they didn't call it zoom. It's certainly not continuous zoom, just a stepped change of FOV, and I don't think you can change it mid-recording.

And what is not in the manual is any description of DIGITAL zoom (other than that it exists) and horizontal panning of the camera left and right.

I understood that wasn't an optical zoom ... it's just shrinking the field of view. It's like ... well ... putting on sunglasses and saying you're controlling the amount of light coming from the sun. In reality, you're unnaturally shrinking the amount of light you're willing to see. :)

I've had my zoom for a couple of months now. It's really good but I've been really torn about selling my pro. Why? Because it's really good. Using the platinum props, it's almost as quite as the zoom. Both will get out 4 mi, the zoom faster. Both of the cameras are good in good light, poor in evening and early morning light. Graininess. Zoom camera shoots very good in 1080 where as the pro is terrible in 1080 but great in 4k or even 2.7. The zoom is great for wildlife as you can get close up without getting close up and spooking it. Zoom batteries cost a lot more, not a lot of difference in flight time. Truth is, they are both excellent but one costs almost 2wice as much time u get a couple extra batteries. I could easily live with just my mavic pro but since I blew the big bucks on the zoom I guess I'm married to it. Make of this what u want. If you're like me and always want the best, the pro 1 is close enough. Kind of like the first wife you ever had was the best one even if the new one is a little prettier.

hI, I was speaking of the Mavic pro 1 being terrible in 1080 but good in 2,7 and 4k. I think the pro 2 is probably very good in 1080 but don't know for sure. The zoom which I have, has none of the shortcomings of the Mavic 1 in 1080. (except for the lowlight shortcoming which the Mavic 2 pro does not have. The 1" sensor picks up a lot more light.) I can barely see the difference on the zoom between 1080 and 4k except for 2 things. 1080 downloads way faster and the zoom can double in power when shooting 1080. I also find that the zoom still doubles in 1080 when using Dji googles re. But that's another chapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: PURSUER01
C: my apologies, I thought for sure you were talking about the 2P. But I definitely agree about the original MP at 1080.

I have had M1pro M2pro and zoom since they were first introduced... all excellent features and great performance.. but I recently sold M2Pro and got the M2E .. no regrets... don’t need the advanced camera so much as the zoom so glad I changed... but it’s only not an issue because I still have the 1” CCD in the phantom 4pro. I think if you are trying to decide 2pro or zoom go 2pro. But if you have a p4p then the M2P is not any major advantage. The zoom is way more versatile for a wider range of missions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS