DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

That sick feeling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach_Dr

Reactions
I've been whale watching recently, got some lovely footage this morning of a whale playing with her calf. Flew through 2 batteries, went to charge them and back to ocean, flew out to where a whale sort of was... (difficult finding whales precisely, normally involves myself and my wife as spotter, directing me towards the splashes)

My wife was busy talking to an old friend we bumped into on the beach, kids where playing on the rocks, I took off goggles and put down controller to talk to kids, then saw whale a bit off from where I was. Grabbed controller, pulled back on stick without looking at screen, and 4 seconds later when looked down saw the black screen and 'no signal' - pulled left stick instead of right. Drops 4m very quickly.

Insurance only covers theft, no cover when flying...

So here is the last picture from old Droney, hopefully I can one day continue with this great hobby. Untitled_1.1.2a.jpg

A sad tale there. I'll be flying over water with mine quite a bit, and scenarios like this concern me.
I'm sure I'll be on edge every second

And in Australia, prolly $250,000 in fines....
Not sure about that. I didn't get a good answer from CASA. Apparently, it's under Wildlife Department's jurisdiction or something, and depends on the state. I remember a diagram about not being within 30m from them, but the pics was a helicopter. Until is becomes a concern, no one really knows for sure.

Reactions: Former Member
I've been whale watching recently, got some lovely footage this morning of a whale playing with her calf. Flew through 2 batteries, went to charge them and back to ocean, flew out to where a whale sort of was... (difficult finding whales precisely, normally involves myself and my wife as spotter, directing me towards the splashes)

My wife was busy talking to an old friend we bumped into on the beach, kids where playing on the rocks, I took off goggles and put down controller to talk to kids, then saw whale a bit off from where I was. Grabbed controller, pulled back on stick without looking at screen, and 4 seconds later when looked down saw the black screen and 'no signal' - pulled left stick instead of right. Drops 4m very quickly.

Insurance only covers theft, no cover when flying...

So here is the last picture from old Droney, hopefully I can one day continue with this great hobby. View attachment 44974
Just tell the insurance the whale stoled it

It could happen to any of us, great photo, best of luck !

I made the same mistake but over land!
It’s pretty fast that the inspire comes down with intent almost as fast as just gravity working on it.

...then saw whale a bit off from where I was. Grabbed controller, pulled back on stick without looking at screen, and 4 seconds later when looked down saw the black screen and 'no signal' - pulled left stick instead of right. Drops 4m very quickly. View attachment 44974

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I hope you figure out a way to get a new aircraft. I had pretty much the same issue but over land. That Inspire sure can come down fast. Really feel bad for you.

Last edited:
But you did introduce what amounts to an entire box of plastic straws into the ocean.
You probably choked the whale to death, or gave it a heart attack.
The Envirostapostazi will be by shortly to collect your soul.

Great replyThumbswayup

Reactions: mhs2xs
Not sure about that. I didn't get a good answer from CASA. Apparently, it's under Wildlife Department's jurisdiction or something, and depends on the state. I remember a diagram about not being within 30m from them, but the pics was a helicopter. Until is becomes a concern, no one really knows for sure.
CASA definately will not pursue this. They are actually tired of the amount of whale pics and vids that get submitted to them Apparently nearly every Facebook whale vid inspires the drone police to report this for the safety of mankind.
Parks can issue an on spot fine of $135 for flying within 100m without a permit, but I’m unaware of any of these fines being issued to date

Reactions: mhs2xs
CASA definately will not pursue this. They are actually tired of the amount of whale pics and vids that get submitted to them Apparently nearly every Facebook whale vid inspires the drone police to report this for the safety of mankind.
Parks can issue an on spot fine of $135 for flying within 100m without a permit, but I’m unaware of any of these fines being issued to date
Funny thing is the drumlines and shark nets that gets caught on whales, and takes hours for sea rescue to free them cause a lot more distress to the whales than a buzzing drone.

I agree 100%.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone