DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Argument Against Banning Chinese Drones (Part 1)

I've already reached out via email and phone to my Representative to voice my opposition to the bill. I strongly urge everyone to join in opposing this legislation if they wish to maintain their ability to fly their DJI drones.

Did the same. Yes, everyone should do this if we want to continue flying with our expensive drones.
It's amazing they want to ban DJI drones because they say they transmit data to China. I have read DJI drones have been taken apart and found no way anything can be transmitted to China. If the card is placed in a computer, there might be a way to send info. So they would have thousands of people looking at millions of photos to find a couple they like.
Let's face it, if they want to see what's going on around a sensitve area, go to Google Earth and monitor that.

If you have not petitioned your representative...do it here

I also made my thoughts known. If they are so concerned about data transmitting to China, they should also ban Lenovo laptops.
Alone with TicTok. Most do not read the agreement before accepting that app. It allows TicToc 100% access to everything on your phone; contacts, emails, photos, passwords...everything!!!

I’m not knowledgeable enough to say that a drone cannot communicate with a foreign government on the other side of the planet. Where is a routine update of our drone’s software coming from? I assume the Internet, which reaches anywhere in the world that has a connection. We probably don’t even have the control over our various devices to be 100% capable of saying “no” to what it’s loading, let alone to actually know what is being loaded!

The people who write the software that runs the drone’s system can, I’d think, add any feature they might want without the user being aware of it.

The only real control over the spying, both furtively by the builders of our devices and deliberately by the local operator, is that we are barred from flying over areas that are even remotely sensitive. Just recently there was a posting of a visit from investigators to a pilot who only flew close to such a boundary.

Banning foreign made drones because of a fear of vulnerability makes about as much sense as banning binoculars that are also made in a country we perceive of as a threat. It’s the operator who is in the position to compromise our country’s defenses and intentions.

We already have a vast system of professionals in place working to guard against those actors.

We don’t need a cabal of Chicken Littles running around startled by every shadow they think they see.

I also made my thoughts known. If they are so concerned about data transmitting to China, they should also ban Lenovo laptops.

While there are significantly more Lenovo computers than drones, tackling the former is a far larger endeavor. Yet, it would undoubtedly face substantial opposition from various parties. Therefore, it's imperative for all of us to vocalize our opposition.

I’m not knowledgeable enough to say that a drone cannot communicate with a foreign government on the other side of the planet. Where is a routine update of our drone’s software coming from? I assume the Internet, which reaches anywhere in the world that has a connection. We probably don’t even have the control over our various devices to be 100% capable of saying “no” to what it’s loading, let alone to actually know what is being loaded!

The people who write the software that runs the drone’s system can, I’d think, add any feature they might want without the user being aware of it.

The only real control over the spying, both furtively by the builders of our devices and deliberately by the local operator, is that we are barred from flying over areas that are even remotely sensitive. Just recently there was a posting of a visit from investigators to a pilot who only flew close to such a boundary.

Banning foreign made drones because of a fear of vulnerability makes about as much sense as banning binoculars that are also made in a country we perceive of as a threat. It’s the operator who is in the position to compromise our country’s defenses and intentions.

We already have a vast system of professionals in place working to guard against those actors.

We don’t need a cabal of Chicken Littles running around startled by every shadow they think they see.
Once the legislators read about the argument to ban Chinese binoculars, they're going to laugh and say "See this constituent doesn't understand the real threat. He believes a pair of binoculars has the capability to collect data and covertly transmit it back to the country of manufacturer. As congresspeople, we are privy to more information, we know better than this, and a drone with a camera and GPS is much more capable and we have a duty to be vigilant....blah blah blah." This will happen when you suggest the government take their focus off the real potential threat and instead try to tackle the impossible task of determining where a piece of equipment is manufactured and then banning it because it is simply made there even though it has no threatening capabilities whatsoever. We're smarter than that.

Reactions: The Droning Company
Is there any form of Drone Operators Union that can negotiate on these (and FAA) issues? We have some rights as we have made investments and depend on these technologies for our livelihood.
Express that in a message here

Is there any form of Drone Operators Union that can negotiate on these (and FAA) issues? We have some rights as we have made investments and depend on these technologies for
Express that in a message here
I was going to suggest such organizing by the drone community.

The National Rifle Association was formed as an educational body to promote marksmanship and gun safety. The American Medical Association was formed to give doctors a united voice on health issues.

There are numerous such organizations that have influence with the various levels of legislative bodies that set standards that should include their input, not just because they have political clout, but because they have real life experience with their industries and can offer realistic insights.

I visited this site but was turned off somewhat by the emphasis on drone flyers’ “rights.”

If we want a place at the table about government regulations than such an organization should have equal (or more) emphasis on drone flyers’ “REPONSIBILITIES”!

We all get over-regulated by the various government entities because we all under-regulate ourselves.

An association of drone flyers should set and enforce a well thought standard of operation and professionalism, even among the recreational members, to become a voice that carries weight with the various levels of law makers.

Not just another group of malcontents complaining about their rights being violated!

This sentence caught my eye....

"...if this bill passes DJI products will not work within the continental United States."

Not work? How do "they" plan on stopping DJI drones from working? Especially the legacy drones I use?? The only "infrastructure" my drones utilize is either privately owned or flying 12,500 miles over the Earth. It's easy to see where they could stop "permission," but I don't see how they could possible disable any of the legacy DJI offerings. I haven't purchased a drone in years (been using the same 3 for a LONG time now), so I can't speak to the more contemporary offerings. I'm just wondering how they will "disable" existing DJI drones.

I know a little about RF, but I'm no expert. Anybody have any more information on this?

D

This sentence caught my eye....

"...if this bill passes DJI products will not work within the continental United States."

Not work? How do "they" plan on stopping DJI drones from working? Especially the legacy drones I use?? The only "infrastructure" my drones utilize is either privately owned or flying 12,500 miles over the Earth. It's easy to see where they could stop "permission," but I don't see how they could possible disable any of the legacy DJI offerings. I haven't purchased a drone in years (been using the same 3 for a LONG time now), so I can't speak to the more contemporary offerings. I'm just wondering how they will "disable" existing DJI drones.

I know a little about RF, but I'm no expert. Anybody have any more information on this?

D
None of us know for sure but it would be naive to believe it cannot happen. I guess we might have to find out. Every DJI drone is different so it is possible that some of the older models can fly forever but the newer ones that depend on logging in your account, connecting to WiFi, security database updates....not sure if the US can ground your drone but DJI can....for sure.

None of us know for sure but it would be naive to believe it cannot happen.
I'm just saying I've seen no evidence for it. Logically speaking or intuitively speaking, these drones operate in the same frequency band as many electronic devices. So to saturate or "pollute" those frequencies would cause many devices to fail. The FCC would never allow it.

I guess we might have to find out. Every DJI drone is different so it is possible that some of the older models can fly forever but the newer ones that depend on logging in your account, connecting to WiFi, security database updates....
For YEARS I have been working away from WiFi, cell service and all infrastructure. So to rely on these technologies for my livelihood wouldn't just be fool-hearty, it would be insane. So NONE of my drones rely on accounts or WiFi or Logins or databases, etc. Honestly, I don't see how anybody could make a living counting on those things...at least not out in the field...especially considering how poorly DJI manages those things.

not sure if the US can ground your drone but DJI can....for sure.
I disagree. All my drones fly sans Internet. I connect my iPad to the Internet briefly to download maps, but even that is unnecessary for the work I do.

Even the mapping app I use to find remote locations is completely discreet. No WiFi. No cell service. I connect my iPad via BlueTooth to a GPS receiver, which is a discreet component in and of itself that only connects to satellites. My entire drone operation requires nothing from infrastructure except electricity and satellites. So unless they figure out how to block drones from Satellites (which is actually only a deal breaker for GPS lock and intelligent flight modes), I will continue to work unimpeded.

To be clear, I DO connect to the Internet BEFORE I go out in the field for permits and maps, but the maps are for added convenience and are not necessary to real-time operations. Permits or maps or not, my drones will still fly.

D

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne