DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The best way to mount a Marco Polo tag to the Mavic Pro Platinum.

My understanding from the literature included with the Marco was that the unit is not transmitting any type of signal until such time as the hand held tracking unit is opened and is “actively” tracking the tag on the quad...if you ever have need of it.
(Knock on wood) I’ve never experienced any trouble with my mp that I would attribute to the Marco being positioned where I have it on my quad.

Like I said, I have mine located on the same area as you on both my Mavic Pro and my Mavic 2 Zoom and never had a problem either.

Attachments

• Marco.JPG
    Marco.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
My understanding from the literature included with the Marco was that the unit is not transmitting any type of signal until such time as the hand held tracking unit is opened and is “actively” tracking the tag on the quad...if you ever have need of it.
(Knock on wood) I’ve never experienced any trouble with my mp that I would attribute to the Marco being positioned where I have it on my quad.

But it is actively recieving, so it is emitting some interference but not like it is transmitting. Its probably the board and battery most likely causing magnetic distortion than any stray EMR.

Because Marco knows best?
I thought about that when I was setting things up, and my conclusion was that the odds were, not by much, that in an "emergency landing," it would set down with the spinning side up and the skid side down.

Well no, it doesn’t matter which way it points- ether up or down is OK, as long as the axis of the antenna is vertical, the radio signal it emits will be the same.

Right, either up or down is good. Sideways would be bad all the way around. But my bet was that it would land upright more times than any other position. And where I mounted the tag, I believe the antenna would likely drag during even normal landings if it were facing downward.
I hope this is like insurance - that I never want to have to use it.

JL Is that a strobe cover you have pictured? If so, where can it be purchased? Thanks

For folks interested in mounting strobes to their drones: I put a Firehouse 4-strobe unit ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PMGLXR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) on my Mavic, have flown it many times, and have never experienced signal interference with it. Also, it is not visible in videos unless you're flying near reflective objects (as when landing.)
mavic_strobe.png

On top of the battery with Velcro. I have a Remove Before Flight label that uses the same Velcro which covers the battery button. Can't turn the battery on without removing the label. That way I remember to remove the gimbal guard. So, I remove the Remove Before Flight banner, remove gimbal guard, stick the Marco Polo to that same Velcro press the battery button and off I go. Long winded explanation, hopefully you can understand.

I was thinking of mounting my Marco Polo tag to the back of my Mavic Pro Platinum right above the light indicator. I this a sensitive spot? If so where can I mount it?
Umm no. The GPS and compass are back there. Battery up to front cowl above front cameras are good. Legs.

Umm no. The GPS and compass are back there. Battery up to front cowl above front cameras are good. Legs.

Ok, thank you! So this is a good spot to mount it.
3fb38e75f14c50bd6245be74ff312671.jpg

I went out and tested the Marco Polo mounted on the battery as in the image below it does not affect the GPS in an way 17 satellites before and after. The curvature of the plastic housing almost matched that of the battery. The only modification I made was to cut a notch on the antenna sleeve so I could aim the antenna up away from the drones body. With the housing it is also fairly water resistant although not waterproof (don't want to test to find out).1547682744154286426244982789535.jpg

If your drone goes AWOL you have a better chance of finding it fairly quickly
Please explain for me advantages of this tag
This is a great finder of lost stuff. It does not depend on phone service, and it works over miles of distance (well, two miles in my experience). Costs more, but works really well, and well worth it if you fly out in the mountains and fields with no cell service.

This is a great finder of lost stuff. It does not depend on phone service, and it works over miles of distance (well, two miles in my experience). Costs more, but works really well, and well worth it if you fly out in the mountains and fields with no cell service.

And you track the tag by gps on a phone app or something?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329