DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The BIG GNSS (GPS) Issue -- The Constructive Thread

With current software versions, Cold Start time from Mavic 3 system start to GNSS acquisition and "Home Point Updated" remains less than one minute for me.

- Aircraft manufactured November 16, 2021.
- Stored without main battery for about a day.

Software Versions:
Mavic 3: 01.00.0500
RC-N1: 04.13.0500
App Version (iOS): 1.5.9 iPad Mini (6th Generation): 15.4

I'm happy to try other scenarios (and I've tried most of the ones in this thread), but I've never had it take more than ninety seconds to attain a "Home Point Updated" position fix.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
With current software versions, Cold Start time from Mavic 3 system start to GNSS acquisition and "Home Point Updated" remains less than one minute for me.

- Aircraft manufactured November 16, 2021.
- Stored without main battery for about a day.

Software Versions:
Mavic 3: 01.00.0500
RC-N1: 04.13.0500
App Version (iOS): 1.5.9 iPad Mini (6th Generation): 15.4

I'm happy to try other scenarios (and I've tried most of the ones in this thread), but I've never had it take more than ninety seconds to attain a "Home Point Updated" position fix.
I have a suspicion the the first batch of M3 that were made has a different GPS module then the ones made around mid to end Jan. My first M3 that I got in early December, even after the December update used to lock sats in 2 minutes or slightly less, the replacement that I got in Feb is horrible and I wait over 6 minutes.

Reactions: oztx
I have a suspicion the the first batch of M3 that were made has a different GPS module then the ones made around mid to end Jan. My first M3 that I got in early December, even after the December update used to lock sats in 2 minutes or slightly less, the replacement that I got in Feb is horrible and I wait over 6 minutes.
I didn't realize that you now have a replacement unit acquired in February. That does introduce an additional variable that might help explain your now relatively unique issues, compared to those of us who still have the same aircraft from early December.

Reactions: Suren
I didn't realize that you now have a replacement unit acquired in February. That does introduce an additional variable that might help explain your now relatively unique issues, compared to those of us who still have the same aircraft from early December.
Yeah my first one decided to fly back to Dji while doing a Mastershots. They sent me a replacement.

Yeah my first one decided to fly back to Dji while doing a Mastershots. They sent me a replacement.
That aircraft swap is potentially significant to your not being able to get the same results as those still with the same aircraft from December, who are benefiting from the 1.5.10 Fly update and the reboot technique I described.

Highly unlikely they switched any of the underlying hardware. They're using basically the same chip since the Air 2.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and Suren
I got this bogus answer from “Fred” at DJI support. Not very helpful. All he said was it will take longer on cold start. I replied with links to at least a dozen YouTubers who have complained about this. I’ll wait for his reply.

Dear Nick,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you with your DJI Mavic 3, hope you are doing well.

It is recommended to try it in an open place or in another place. In addition, different time periods and weather conditions also have a certain impact on the search star.

In the state of cold start of DJI Mavic 3, the star search speed will be slow. It is recommended to search for stars on your mobile devices or when the DJI RC PRO is connected to the Internet, and the star search speed will be improved to a certain extent.

If the issues still exist, please kindly provide us a video regarding the issue and export the flight control data for further help.

How to export the flight control data:
  1. Please download the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) on DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) - Download Center - DJI
  2. Please connect the aircraft and the computer with Type-C cable, run the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series), click your aircraft logo.
  3. Enter the main page of the product, select the "log export " on the left menu, and then select the data of the time dot required, saved to the local.
  4. After the progress bar is displayed, it means that the data has been successfully saved to the local.
5. The saved file format is as follows.
1646059682944.png
Looking forward to your early reply.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Fred
DJI Technical Support
Youtube: http://s.dji.com/DJI-Tutorials

I got this bogus answer from “Fred” at DJI support. Not very helpful. All he said was it will take longer on cold start. I replied with links to at least a dozen YouTubers who have complained about this. I’ll wait for his reply.

Dear Nick,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you with your DJI Mavic 3, hope you are doing well.

It is recommended to try it in an open place or in another place. In addition, different time periods and weather conditions also have a certain impact on the search star.

In the state of cold start of DJI Mavic 3, the star search speed will be slow. It is recommended to search for stars on your mobile devices or when the DJI RC PRO is connected to the Internet, and the star search speed will be improved to a certain extent.

If the issues still exist, please kindly provide us a video regarding the issue and export the flight control data for further help.

How to export the flight control data:
  1. Please download the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) on DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) - Download Center - DJI
  2. Please connect the aircraft and the computer with Type-C cable, run the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series), click your aircraft logo.
  3. Enter the main page of the product, select the "log export " on the left menu, and then select the data of the time dot required, saved to the local.
  4. After the progress bar is displayed, it means that the data has been successfully saved to the local.
5. The saved file format is as follows.
View attachment 144603
Looking forward to your early reply.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Fred
DJI Technical Support
Youtube: http://s.dji.com/DJI-Tutorials
This earlier response was more helpful, giving both time parameters and differences in the controllers. 6D106B74-CEA8-405C-A7EF-1F0FD3770939.jpeg

More anecdotal observations:

Flew three flights in downtown LA. Clear skies. Busy area but I've flown there for years. When you know how it works, it can be done without incident. Home point can take a little longer but most of the buildings are below 5 floors so not too bad.

Cold start took 6 mins until first home point (12 SVs). The first 8 took under one minute but the last 4 took forever. I had a decent view of the sky. Even in the air, the total SV count never got above 15 the whole flight. Got a couple "weak gps" warnings as the SV count dipped to 12 and 13 a few times.

Screenshot_20220228-223828.png
(You can see here, I had a pretty open view of the sky. I was at or about the height of the nearest buildings at this point.)

Oddly, the second flight (warm boot) took almost as long to get enough GNSS for the home point in pretty much the same conditions and very close to the first. Similar to the cold boot. Weird.

Third flight, even more open area but again lots around it. Took less time to get the home point but it was by no means fast. Maybe 3 minutes. Never had more than 18 SV.

The odd thing is no matter what the SV count was or the weak GPS warnings, the M3C flew on rails. It was locked in. Super steady and easy to fly. This makes me wonder if the M3C is being more picky about its SVs somehow to get the same or better result. A busy urban environment is going to have multipath and maybe even some RF in the GNSS bands. It could be it was ignoring some signals that were possibly echoing (multipath) or had low SNR.

Regardless, it takes a few minutes longer than my Inspires or A3 based craft and might have lower numbers but the M3C flies so well, so I am not that bothered.

I need to see what happens when I put it into a challenging environment where there is lots of multipath and limited view of the sky (skyscrapers). The Inspire will predictably lose its fix and drop to ATTI several times in these environments. I wonder how the M3C will handle it.

More anecdotal observations:

Flew three flights in downtown LA. Clear skies. Busy area but I've flown there for years. When you know how it works, it can be done without incident. Home point can take a little longer but most of the buildings are below 5 floors so not too bad.

Cold start took 6 mins until first home point (12 SVs). The first 8 took under one minute but the last 4 took forever. I had a decent view of the sky. Even in the air, the total SV count never got above 15 the whole flight. Got a couple "weak gps" warnings as the SV count dipped to 12 and 13 a few times.

View attachment 144664
(You can see here, I had a pretty open view of the sky. I was at or about the height of the nearest buildings at this point.)

Oddly, the second flight (warm boot) took almost as long to get enough GNSS for the home point in pretty much the same conditions and very close to the first. Similar to the cold boot. Weird.

Third flight, even more open area but again lots around it. Took less time to get the home point but it was by no means fast. Maybe 3 minutes. Never had more than 18 SV.

The odd thing is no matter what the SV count was or the weak GPS warnings, the M3C flew on rails. It was locked in. Super steady and easy to fly. This makes me wonder if the M3C is being more picky about its SVs somehow to get the same or better result. A busy urban environment is going to have multipath and maybe even some RF in the GNSS bands. It could be it was ignoring some signals that were possibly echoing (multipath) or had low SNR.

Regardless, it takes a few minutes longer than my Inspires or A3 based craft and might have lower numbers but the M3C flies so well, so I am not that bothered.

I need to see what happens when I put it into a challenging environment where there is lots of multipath and limited view of the sky (skyscrapers). The Inspire will predictably lose its fix and drop to ATTI several times in these environments. I wonder how the M3C will handle it.
I've had some slightly better success by power cycling the battery (or swapping batteries) immediately after the first 8 SV's are acquired. It seems to speed up the acquisition of the Home Point setting after the power cycling, vs. waiting over 5 more minutes on the original power up. Not sure exactly why, but it rarely takes more than a few minutes after the power cycling at 8 SV's. I, too, really like the stability of the M3, despite its slower Home Point setting.

I've had some slightly better success by power cycling the battery (or swapping batteries) immediately after the first 8 SV's are acquired. It seems to speed up the acquisition of the Home Point setting after the power cycling, vs. waiting over 5 more minutes on the original power up. Not sure exactly why, but it rarely takes more than a few minutes after the power cycling at 8 SV's. I, too, really like the stability of the M3, despite its slower Home Point setting.
Certainly like flying it more than the M2P. The speed increase alone makes it that just better for me. Amazing how much elevation speed increase has on the overall flight experience.

Having said that, it's a big enough issue that people should know how long it takes to lock before purchasing the drone. Especially if it's not their first camera drone.

There's a rumor in another thread here that newer units have the issue fixed, which implies a hardware fix, if true. :/

Only time will tell and the good news is DJI is certainly aware of the issue we're having.

I started timing how long it takes. About 5 minutes this morning. Almost 5X longer than my M2P. Lol

The wait time for me is getting worse every time I want to fly, I end up just putting the drone away after waiting 11 minutes for home point to lock.

I'm beginning to think your original was replaced with another dud. Might as well send it in, too, and see if they can do better. If it is a hardware issue that has been fixed, you'll be one of the first to get one!

The wait time for me is getting worse every time I want to fly, I end up just putting the drone away after waiting 11 minutes for home point to lock.

Holy mackerel!
That’s pretty bad. DJI sure sucked the enjoyment out of using its flagship product.

I'm beginning to think your original was replaced with another dud. Might as well send it in, too, and see if they can do better. If it is a hardware issue that has been fixed, you'll be one of the first to get one!
Im waiting of their reply from support. I told them in the reply email I will only send it in if they can assure me of a replacement with another new product, so its.a waiting game now.

My M3 Cine in same spot (driveway), "cold" can be an amazingly fast 40-60 seconds. Then next time, 5-6+ minutes long... oddity. The warm has appeared to improved... doesn't normally exceed 2 min and more consistent in time on a given day.

It's the cold starts that are most irritating, I've gotten to the stage of tossing a battery in & powering up while I complete other on-site tasks.
M2P & I2 are still way faster to complete process.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB