DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The FAA is working on the test.

But you wrote "In comparison, again according to the FAA, 225,000 part 107 commercial jockeys forked over a total of $33.75mil to the FAA to get rated." Hence my response.
You got me there. I mispoke (or mistyped.)

As to the rest, I think we're dancing around the same maypole. I have no objection to paying a reasonable amount for the test. Nor do I believe the gov't should foot the entire bill. My undeerstanding is the FAA would like to provide the test electronically. Curently, ther FAA offers online courses with a "final" test that provide an actual certificate upon successful completion. Most if not all of the courses for UAS operations are free. I took the Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (small UAS) Initial and received a printable certificate after completing it. Simply providing an online Aeronautical Knowledge and Safety test for recreational pilots would be easy once the questions are determined. The difficulties after that are many---and mostly revolve around honesty on the part of the test taker.

Reactions: sar104
"The FAA does not intend to administer the test or store any data."

this is all i needed to hear.

1.not going to be effective from a legal standpoint
2.considering what little i know about potential designees and entities, testing is never going to be implemented effectively or properly.

just my opinion from reading the rfi. not going to happen in 2019 or even 2020 if you ask me.

I agree, this is a POOR choice.
How about they get a contractor to set up an online test, and hire them to maintain it, but have the FAA run it, and keep the records?
It was a long time ago, but when I was getting my PPL, I took the test at an FAA GADO, and don't recall having to pay anything for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsuruncle