DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Frustration with Search and Rescue

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
When I first bought a drone, it was to find UFOs in the clouds and for search, help, and rescue. I went as far as to create a life ring that could be dragged across the water with my drone to provide a flotation device to save a life. It all sounded good, but the reality was far different than I had imagined.

After six years, I never captured a single UFO and was never able to fly through the clouds. The UFO gods said no and the FAA went along with that as well.

When it came to search and rescue, it was another awakening. Not that under the right waivers and commands it could not be done, but the idea of being in the air and stopping the real help, helicopters and planes, and knowing my drone could bring their rescue efforts to a halt was not worth it.

That's not to say that I have not searched for dogs, cats, and missing people posted on the Neighborhood Watch, as that was rewarding, but ultimately more for reporting where they were not.

When the hurricane hit NC, we were getting some reports and posts of the devastation from drone footage, and I think that helped people want to help any way they can.

Anyone with a private helicopter or large truck to take goods were on their way, but many found their search and rescue very frustrating and many helicopter pilots were threatened with going to jail, which surprised me as I thought they were at the top of the food chain but apparently they are not.

I think the reason why I am posting this is that I could have easily been one to get a helicopter, thinking maybe then I could be a superhero one day. lol

The reality is the systems they have in place really have no room for truckers and helicopters to come in and save the day, that's not how it works.

The TFR, or what I call the Hand of the FAA gods, already has their Rescue system in place.

There have been reports of those flying drones and halting all rescue operations, and maybe only being able to fly 30 minutes is a blessing in those situations as many have no clue as to how the drone affects other search and rescue operations in progress.

No one is purposely flying their drone to stop the rescue, and helicopter pilots are not purposely trying to be part of the problem.

Somehow knowing this makes me feel better about my drone and what is really possible. I should mention many of the pilots were police, fire, and rescue and still denied.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water , and Capture the Adventure of the storm.

Here is the Video but there is a learning curve that needs to be understood.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
2024-10-04_18h48_04.png2024-10-04_17h49_59.png

Last edited:
Follow up story, a million or more people have seen this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have seen the life guards on "BondiRescue" trial a drone for dropping possibly an inflatable floatation device to guinea pig struggling swimmers. I don't know if they adopted it.
I also think a drone would be useful to them in searches for lost swimmers, bodies and sharks.
I say lost swimmers because one went missing whilst a life guard was paddling out to assist them, the life guards weren't certain whether he had swum off or sunk, it turned out he had presumably sunk, he drowned. Quite tragic circumstances really. A drone might have spotted him in time for them to resuscitate him.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldnumber7