DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Mavic Air isn't a neighborhood drone...

The warning is telling you are going into class c air space witch you cant fly in without having permission from the airport. There
must be a good size airport near you
I get this warning also but the funny thing is I don't have any airports near me at least for 15 miles

This thread has been entertaining.

OP: As others have mentioned, don't auto-select a channel, especially in a crowded neighborhood environment. Instead, custom select a 5.8 channel. The wireless profile 30 feet away from you can be very different from where you're standing, especially in a neighborhood where there are lots of wifi routers.

Mavic Pro uses Occusync, which is a low latency wireless protocol on the same frequencies as 2.4 wifi, but different protocol which is less prone to interference. Phantom uses Lightbridge, which is yet another protocol, separating video and controls on different frequencies. Mavic Air uses "enhanced wifi", which means it is susceptible to interference from other 2.4 and 5.8 wifi routers. 5.8 uses more power, and generally experiences less interference. Nice thing is that the "enhanced" part of DJI's implementation is pretty good compared to the old wifi model used in earlier phantom models. It requires less power and generates less heat than either Occusync & Lightbridge, being the key driver for DJI to use it in the Air and Spark. I think we'll continue to see more of it in the future.

Finally, and I laugh at the emotion that the name "Mavic" brings to many, DJI has been pretty clear on their naming scheme. From DJI's site itself:
upload_2018-2-10_18-55-14.png

This thread has been entertaining.

OP: As others have mentioned, don't auto-select a channel, especially in a crowded neighborhood environment. Instead, custom select a 5.8 channel. The wireless profile 30 feet away from you can be very different from where you're standing, especially in a neighborhood where there are lots of wifi routers.

Mavic Pro uses Occusync, which is a low latency wireless protocol on the same frequencies as 2.4 wifi, but different protocol which is less prone to interference. Phantom uses Lightbridge, which is yet another protocol, separating video and controls on different frequencies. Mavic Air uses "enhanced wifi", which means it is susceptible to interference from other 2.4 and 5.8 wifi routers. 5.8 uses more power, and generally experiences less interference. Nice thing is that the "enhanced" part of DJI's implementation is pretty good compared to the old wifi model used in earlier phantom models. It requires less power and generates less heat than either Occusync & Lightbridge, being the key driver for DJI to use it in the Air and Spark. I think we'll continue to see more of it in the future.

Finally, and I laugh at the emotion that the name "Mavic" brings to many, DJI has been pretty clear on their naming scheme. From DJI's site itself:
View attachment 31085
Very nicely put. Couldnt have said it better

Reactions: karmateque
Correction on my post from the page back...
So dji made 5.8 31dbm! And 2.4 28dbm....other countries not so lucky

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180210-212421_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180210-212421_Chrome.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 63
Yes, having Bluetooth on is like having a 2.4ghz radio blasting the RCs ears. You will get the best range on 2.4ghz due to the lower frequency but it is also the most congested.

Reactions: dusty944
600ft? Plenty for me! I don't think my MP has ever been further.

I'm not allowed to fly over residential areas anyway, privacy rules etc. Here in the Algarve, Portugal, flying over houses would invariably mean being able to see topless (and nude) women sunbathing by their pools. Same with the beaches down the road from me. So I'm fairly restricted in terms of where to fly and it is generally outside of the tourist seasons.

600ft? Plenty for me! I don't think my MP has ever been further.

I'm not allowed to fly over residential areas anyway, privacy rules etc. Here in the Algarve, Portugal, flying over houses would invariably mean being able to see topless (and nude) women sunbathing by their pools. Same with the beaches down the road from me. So I'm fairly restricted in terms of where to fly and it is generally outside of the tourist seasons.

so the government bans all satellite services from their extremely hi-res street and terrain/feature mapping from above then?

I got up to 4798 last night from my front yard. I live in the suburbs just outside of Pittsburgh so lots of trees, houses, towers, etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2