DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro The Power of Color Grading

I enjoy both versions. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: MPone
Love color grading in Resolve. Have you had the opportunity to grade any true raw like BlackMagic B-raw? Get amazing looks!

I like the second version, but I guess it depends on what your ultimate goal is. The second version is slightly hypersaturated. If you want it to look like what you actually see in the park, I would dial the color grading back just a bit. That said, the second version is a good quality rendition and would work great on a National Geographic type of level. Well done.

The secret here is to make it look like it does in nature. Good color grading should be imperceptible. I think you went a bit too far. Dial it back a bit and it will be beautiful.

Arches National Park - Balanced Rock (No Color Grade)

Arches National Park - Balanced Rock (With Color Grade)

Editing and color grading done with Davinci Resolve 17. Enjoy! :)

View attachment 146740
Beautiful filming. There is definitely a great difference with the color grading. I think it might be a tiny bit over-saturated in the reds. I am using the Mavic 2 Pro Film Poets LUTS. I am generally happy with them but sometimes the color is really way off way what I want and I cannot change it.

Dale
Miami

Arches National Park - Balanced Rock (No Color Grade)

Arches National Park - Balanced Rock (With Color Grade)

Editing and color grading done with Davinci Resolve 17. Enjoy! :)

View attachment 146740
Bah, you go ahead and color grade as you see fit. It's an art. It's a look. You decide what you want to present. Real, surealistic, dark, whatever. There is no need for me or anyone else to "like" it. It's your statement.

I was just at Arches two weeks ago. To me the color grading looks like the more natural color of the rocks.

Bah, you go ahead and color grade as you see fit. It's an art. It's a look. You decide what you want to present. Real, surealistic, dark, whatever. There is no need for me or anyone else to "like" it. It's your statement.
Yes and no Ogre! One of the great things about this forum is the learning and teaching experience we give to each other. When I present a product to an audience, or this forum, I want it to be pleasing and technically good for the reader and viewer and if I am doing something wrong, I actually appreciate some help or constructive critiques.

Dale
Miami

Yes and no Ogre! One of the great things about this forum is the learning and teaching experience we give to each other. When I present a product to an audience, or this forum, I want it to be pleasing and technically good for the reader and viewer and if I am doing something wrong, I actually appreciate some help or constructive critiques.

Dale
Miami
Sorry Dale, no sale. I can teach a person how to make changes in color grade using Resolve. I can teach them the difference between changing metadata in color grading vs altering hue, saturation, luminance. How that person uses their knowledge to create a look is something only they can own. I can create a look and 32 people will have 64 different opinions. You can please 5 people and the next 5 will be displeased.

The secret here is to make it look like it does in nature. Good color grading should be imperceptible. I think you went a bit too far. Dial it back a bit and it will be beautiful.
I agree that saturation is a bit over. I'll dial them back a bit in the forth coming videos.

BlackMagic B-raw? No. Don't know what it is.
It's raw sensor data as apposed to other recording formats that have a color look baked into them. You get a lot of latitude with these.

Very well illustrated, and one of my favorite parks in my home state.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661