DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The power of ND filters

No they don't. ND filters have absolutely no effect on dynamic range at all. You simply don't understand exposure.

What i SUSPECT you're thinking is if you force lock your shutter speed to a specific setting then if theres too much light an ND will drop it down to a level where the image might be exposed more correctly. But thats a totally different thing to getting rid of blow outs. NDs are now specific, they block shadows, highlights and midtones equally. They have no effect on dynamic range or contrast.

I have to respectfully disagree with the statement that ND filters do not affect exposure. I am basing my statement on the following
hypothetical situation.

Camera is set to manual exposure
Let's say the correct exposure for the scene is f16 @ 1/250
You put an ND8 filter on the lens and you take the picture
You will be 3 stops underexposed
To get the correct exposure you would either have to slow the shutter down 3 stops (to 1/30 of a second)
or open the aperture up 3 stops ( to f5.6)
Once again this is assuming you leave the camera on manual exposure
If you set the camera exposure to auto the camera will automatically compensate and you don't have to worry about any of this
The ND filter effects all of the dynamic range (highlights to shadows) equally

Reactions: d_day2613
Thats an interesting point u made. I guess it all depends on wht results one is looking for in the end result.

Just added to my collection of filters with the vivid series pack. Looking forward to trying it out!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeowTT