DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The right ND filter

redserv

Reactions
Hi guys, I have been using the polar pro ND filters (6 pack) with my MPP since I started flying. Because I live in the Caribbean islands and most of the time it's sumny, I use the ND32 almost evertime I fly. However I am beginning to think that the rest the ND filters that came in the set is a waste. Is their some type of calculation I can use to determine what filter I use to bring my EV to almost zero? The set also came with polarized filters which I am not sure when I should use it. I will appreciate
f someone can point me in the right direction.

These are the filters I use:
6-Pack | Cinema Series | Mavic Pro/Platinum

Some of my work so far
Trini Weekes

Seems like I have seen where they have a guide or video on it and will look if no one post it for you.

// I see they have an app that you might look into or look on their site .
PolarPro Mobile App

You can often go for a test flight without the ND to get a feel for the current lighting, see what settings the drone is comfortable at and work from there.

Say you go for a flight and find that even at f/11, you can't get the shutter speed where you want it and it's still too fast at 1/500" or something like that.
To get from f/11 to f/4 (sharpest aperture for many people) we need 3 stops less light (f/11 -> f/8 -> f/5.6 -> f/4).
To get from 1/500" to 1/60" (assuming you want it in the 30fps "180 degree rule"), you need 3 stops less light again (1/500" -> 1/250" -> 1/120" -> 1/60").
In total we need to block 6 stops of light. Raise 2 to the 6th power to get 64, in this case we need an ND64 filter.

Note that clouds, heavy glare, whether or not you're sitting on a 1/3rd EV instead of neatly on the boundaries etc will skew results a bit. This technique plus a bit of practice / experience with the conditions usually gets you in the ballpark though.

LOL. Please explain.

POLARPRO CINEMA SERIES - SHUTTER COLLECTION - ND16
To properly expose the Mavic on a sunny day with the ND8, shooting at ISO 100, we had to set the shutter to 1/100, give or take a notch in either direction to make up for darker or brighter areas.

A shutter of 1/100 is perfectly fine. In fact, you probably won't notice much difference in motion blur between 1/50 and 1/100. All the jello is gone, and you still have a little attitude in case the sun dips behind clouds, or if you're flying directly toward the light.

Bottom line: if you wanted to keep one ND filter on your Mavic at all times, it would probably be ND16.

Source: PolarPro Mavic Pro ND Filters

when I flew the Mavic Pro, the ND 16 was used 90% of the time. Now with my mo 2 pro I use the ND 32 most sunny days

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada