DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 The Unknown, Borgie Forest, Sutherland...

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Deep in Sutherland, in the far north of Scotland, somewhat off the beaten track - with its location signaled only by a small sign beneath the Forestry Sign on the main road - lies an enigma...

After turning off the paved road and taking the forest track - an interesting off-road drive - to be followed by a walk up the low hill to an open heather-clad plateau, we find 'the Unknown'...

The 9' tall cast iron skeleton is a public sculpture standing tall in this ancient landscape of Iron Age villages, forests, flow country, and folklore - of giants hurling rocks, of chieftains and unknown warriors, and of a lone burial, marked now by the placing of the Kenny Hunter cast-iron enigmatic sculpture - ever gazing poignantly over the landscape, head turned to look at the distant peak of Ben Loyal...

Perhaps some will see the skeletal figure and take it at face value. Still, for me, it invited deeper thought and pondering, of the fleeting few moments that we have in our all too brief existence, of our place in the landscape and the world at large, and how - really - our impact is all so insignificant when measured against the longevity of the wilderness and the mountains...

A truly remarkable Memento Mori in a place of stunning beauty...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I find it a bit surprising that no one has added implants to the statue, "Live long and prosper". Or is it too long a walk to lug them there ?
The walk is a fairly steep one, and tbh it is quite the hidden gem, no graffiti, no accoutrements and no litter...

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Beautiful place. It must have been a fun project to carry the sculpture to that location. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for watching... Yeah, I think it must have been a helicopter lift in, its huge and solid iron...

Another great video! I agree, we don't know how much time we have on earth so we need to cherish each moment.

Another great video! I agree, we don't know how much time we have on earth so we need to cherish each moment.
Thank you kindly... as the saying goes. 'Carpe Diem', hence we are exploring how we can make the move north sooner than when we retire, which is 10 years away yet...

Reactions: Geofff
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2