DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Western Cape in Winter

Johny5610

Reactions
My two main passions are oil painting and photography, predominantly wildlife subjects - I had never given video much thought. Then in May last year I started planning for a for a trip down to the Western Cape at the end of August to get some landscape and seascape photos. At some point the thought struck me that maybe a drone could get me shots from angles and places that I could not access on foot and so I decided to google and visit You Tube to find out what these little gadgets were all about. Within 10 minutes of watching videos, I was smitten and remember sitting back, shaking my head and thinking "Oh boy - what have you done now??" No regrets though, what a fun and enjoyable learning experience / journey and the learning does not stop.

The Western Cape is undoubtedly one of the most scenic areas of South Africa, even in winter. The summers are dry and the winter is when they get their rainfall, resulting in the Cape being nice and green and lush during the winter months. At this time of year you can get four seasons in one day, which is also great for landscape photography.

The video below was shot in 2.7K, but rendered at 1080p. It looks Ok on You tube at 1080p and is just about Ok at 720p but at 480p and below it looks more like a water colour painting that has been rained on. It's quite a long video - 24 mins, but that works just fine for me, because once in a while when I feel that chilling out last thing at night, I put it on the TV and pour myself a big glass of red wine. Unfortunately though after about 15 minutes, the glass is empty …….. and yet there is another 9 minutes to go !! …... well I guess I'll just have to pour another one.....

Never realized South Africa had such beautiful scenery

Reactions: Johny5610
My two main passions are oil painting and photography, predominantly wildlife subjects - I had never given video much thought. Then in May last year I started planning for a for a trip down to the Western Cape at the end of August to get some landscape and seascape photos. At some point the thought struck me that maybe a drone could get me shots from angles and places that I could not access on foot and so I decided to google and visit You Tube to find out what these little gadgets were all about. Within 10 minutes of watching videos, I was smitten and remember sitting back, shaking my head and thinking "Oh boy - what have you done now??" No regrets though, what a fun and enjoyable learning experience / journey and the learning does not stop.

The Western Cape is undoubtedly one of the most scenic areas of South Africa, even in winter. The summers are dry and the winter is when they get their rainfall, resulting in the Cape being nice and green and lush during the winter months. At this time of year you can get four seasons in one day, which is also great for landscape photography.

The video below was shot in 2.7K, but rendered at 1080p. It looks Ok on You tube at 1080p and is just about Ok at 720p but at 480p and below it looks more like a water colour painting that has been rained on. It's quite a long video - 24 mins, but that works just fine for me, because once in a while when I feel that chilling out last thing at night, I put it on the TV and pour myself a big glass of red wine. Unfortunately though after about 15 minutes, the glass is empty …….. and yet there is another 9 minutes to go !! …... well I guess I'll just have to pour another one.....

Did a tour from Jo'burg to Cape Town last June & can verify the beauty of the landscapes you've so ably captured. Great shots, well done!

Reactions: Johny5610

Nice one Johny, loved the scenery and you even got some snow! I found it a bit long and repetitive. Loved the music. Thanks for posting I got some good inspiration from your work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121