Join Us Now

There's hope for those of you who don't wanna maintain line of sight

LakeTravis

Reactions
Just read this, kind of interesting:

iStock-536698242.jpg

AT&T's LTE network to support out-of-sight flying in new federal drone tests

Meh, nothing new.

Note that it refers to "companies", and it is already possible for businesses to get waivers for operation,s beyond LOS.

Don't expect to operate beyond LOS as a hobbyist. The main reason for LOS operations is to be able to see and avoid manned aircraft, so unless your operation can demonstrate that it will only operate where manned aircraft won't be, there won't be a waiver in your future.

Meh, nothing new.

Note that it refers to "companies", and it is already possible for businesses to get waivers for operation,s beyond LOS.

Don't expect to operate beyond LOS as a hobbyist. The main reason for LOS operations is to be able to see and avoid manned aircraft, so unless your operation can demonstrate that it will only operate where manned aircraft won't be, there won't be a waiver in your future.

Or that your uas can sense and avoid manned aircraft. Since all manned aircraft will soon be required to have adsb transponders, and some drones come with transponder receivers, it’s not crazy to think that soon drones will have built in sense and avoid technology.

If i'm flying in rural areas well beneath aircraft altitude, can I fly out of LOS? What's the pogo of the extended range if I can't use it? New pilot btw.

If i'm flying in rural areas well beneath aircraft altitude, can I fly out of LOS? What's the pogo of the extended range if I can't use it? New pilot btw.
You can, but you shouldn't. The idea behind VLOS flying is so you can monitor the section of sky you are in and avoid other aircraft. Even in a rural setting there is always the possibility of crop dusters, line inspectors, or other unexpected aircraft.
... What's the pogo of the extended range if I can't use it? New pilot btw.
The range estimates are with perfect conditions and your experience will vary. If the posted range is 4 miles then that means you should have no connection problems within one mile.

Legalities and moral judgments aside, flying beyond VLOS is reckless, because you will only see what the camera and app show you. The further out you are, the more likely you will have disconnect problems leaving you at the mercy of technology to get your craft back. Battery estimates are just that, and do not take wind direction and speed into account. If you want to fly out of VLOS then go ahead, no one will stop you. Just be prepared for accidents and a lost craft.

You can, but you shouldn't. The idea behind VLOS flying is so you can monitor the section of sky you are in and avoid other aircraft. Even in a rural setting there is always the possibility of crop dusters, line inspectors, or other unexpected aircraft.

The range estimates are with perfect conditions and your experience will vary. If the posted range is 4 miles then that means you should have no connection problems within one mile.

Legalities and moral judgments aside, flying beyond VLOS is reckless, because you will only see what the camera and app show you. The further out you are, the more likely you will have disconnect problems leaving you at the mercy of technology to get your craft back. Battery estimates are just that, and do not take wind direction and speed into account. If you want to fly out of VLOS then go ahead, no one will stop you. Just be prepared for accidents and a lost craft.

Good to know. Thank you!

One last paranoid question...since my flights are being logged and uploaded, can they be flagged and bite me if I make a mistake in altitude, or restricted airspace? I live 2 miles from a small regional airport.

More to the point, am I being monitored by big brother FAA? lol
As long as your flights do not interfere with 'manned aircraft', I have a very high level of confidence that you will be fine. Flying is not an exact science, regardless of what some folks may tell us. It is when the mistake causes 'interference' with other aircraft, people, or property that enforcement is more likely to kick in.
I want all my flights to be recorded, and I will be responsible for my own actions. Those records are much more likely to vindicate me than convict me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman