DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thermal (flir one pro?)

RcFanatic

Reactions
It is a very long shot, but has anyone successfully run the flir one on the mavic 2? It plugs in directly to the usb c port and I'm rather curious if there is any way to view the thermal either live or after the fact. I'm not anticipating it working but I want to know your thoughts on this as a cheap aerial thermal imaging platform. Thanks!

Reactions: BIGDAVE
I'm not anticipating it working but I want to know your thoughts on this as a cheap aerial thermal imaging platform
The FLIR one is to be used in combination with a Smartphone. It will not work like you wish with a DJI aircraft.
If you wish to have thermal capabilities on a drone you have multiple options:
a) Based on a FLIR DUO or VUE Pro, build your own setup and mount it on your preferred airframe (Note the max takeoff weight)
b) Buy a DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual
c) Buy a Anafi Thermal drone

Above options are the cheapest to my knowledge.

Reactions: BIGDAVE
I have use the M2 pro enterprise. The resolution of the FLIR is, well, not so good. It will let you know it is something as large as a body is in the brush. It is what it is designed for. Outside of that the span is only from around 10-50° C. So if your looking for hot things not so good. This is the same problem with most of the low end FLIR offerings. Personally I needed a higher resolution that was offered on many of the offerings drone or otherwise. I am a professional geologist and use aircraft for remote sensing. Drones offer a new lo cost micro survey mode for me. Besides many countries have a host of hurdles and outright prohibitions agains photographs from aircraft.

Personally I have made a bit of a kludge modifying a FLIP One Pro -03 (not the LT). It has 4x better resolution and spans up to 300° C, also costs a lot more. I modified an older iPhone 5 (a cheap 5C would have been lighter, but it is what I had) and extended out the FLIR to view down. I have the phone record for later viewing. It will also live stream to an Apple watch. I have not tried that yet, since I lack the watch and am hardly likely to get one. The whole setup, brackets, straps, phone and FLIR+cable is 210 grams. It gives about 1 hour of recording.

I 3D printed a mount and attached an Android smart phone with a Flir 1 attached. It worked fine to review footage after landing. Tried a few mods to view real-time including mounting the phone directly beneath the camera on my Mavic. With the camera pointed straight down you could watch video on the screen in real time but it wasn't great (screen reflection mainly). I started to look into screen sharing apps for Android as another solution but just lost interest as this was just a fun side project. The drone flew OK with all the extra weight but was a little harder to keep control of sometimes and you had to hand launch/land. This was on my Mavic Pro BTW (not the Mavic 2)

Chris

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB