DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking about getting first drone but nervous about a few things

Cool cool. I realize this is probably a bad place to ask this but is it easy to get bored of drones quickly? I'm worried the excitement will fade fast and I wont use it as well.
I think that "Boredom" is really more regarding the pilot and less on the device. The Mavic Mini series is super portable, and you can take it with you on hikes, vacations, road trips, personally it goes with me everywhere I go. Sometimes it's just fun to fly around (the Fly More package comes with extra batteries and some other goodies, not sure if offered for the Mini 2 yet) but you can either practice for using the drone for recording and making videos (there is a lot more to that than just pressing record and flying around, or as high as you can), or fly it for fun. It is a very nimble and precise drone, with safety features that make it fun to use without putting yourself or others at risk.

I second the excellent suggestion about the Care Plan for the drone. Makes sure that your investment doesn't go down with the drone if something happens to it.

I think of my Mavic Mini as both a Drone, and a Camera. I would never get bored of flying a drone around, and surely photography is my life. Granted I might not fly it every single day, there is no penalty and a lot of benefits of having it with you during those cool trips in your life. I even flew mine inside a few times with the prop guards.

Happy 2021

I think that "Boredom" is really more regarding the pilot and less on the device. The Mavic Mini series is super portable, and you can take it with you on hikes, vacations, road trips, personally it goes with me everywhere I go.

I am the same way with my Spark and now the MA2.

It goes with me almost daily to and from work or just around town as it's so easy to carry around.

You never know what you might see during the hum drum of daily life and wished you had the drone to capture the moment.

Reactions: Mavikhan
One year ago I purchased my Mini. Excellent machine, and if I was making a choice today I would go for Mini 2 or Mavic Air 2. Wherever you choose to fly make absolutely sure you know what Airspace class you will be flying in, stay as legal as you can, and respect your machine. I
Put together a letter (attached) which I can hand to a person who may walk up to me while I’m flying. May help to de fuse an anti drone person.
Good Luck

View attachment 120529
Just an FYI.You probably got booted from the CIA.Your redacting skills are rusty?

Cool cool. I realize this is probably a bad place to ask this but is it easy to get bored of drones quickly? I'm worried the excitement will fade fast and I wont use it as well.
Do you do much photography now with a camera or a phone.If so,you will be amazed at what the aerial perspective gives you even at low 10-30 foot altitude.

Welcome to the Forum From Chicago the Windy City.
The MM2 is a great little drone, I have two MP's and have been eyeing that little guy for over a year. Super great improvements with the MM2, one being that the MM1 did not have a Ocusync transmission system. But still with the MM2 it's still so light that it is can cause a flyaway, which is one of 75 causes of a flyaway. Flying off downwind in a wind that is too strong for the drone to RTH against it. You received very good advice, from other pilots, lots to learn. Flyaways are caused by pilot error.

Buy it! No other drone will you give what you really need for the money. Everything else is fluff at this point.
forget about the air2, in my opinion and I’d get the basic and one extra battery over the Fly more package if you want to save money. Mavic mini 1 batteries work fine. It’s the quietest and non annoying sound pitch drone I know. I like to set my RTH to just Hover if connection lost. Then I move to reconnect.
when Starting out, id keep the sliding switch left on cinema, slower than normal or sport and go straight up above any obstacles then fly around and enjoy. Come back over top of yourself and come down and land.
easy peezy. Enjoy!

Reactions: TheDude
Some places you'll go mostly unnoticed and left alone: along rivers and railroad tracks, softball fields, undeveloped commercial lots, in off season golf courses and especially their edges are good. Ask at a local hobby store that sells drones - there's someplace the local drone racers and acrobatic fliers go to play. Generally, you'll begin to notice and experience many opportunities you don't now see. You don't need much space to learn to fly.

Philly115,
Suggest you consider getting a Eachine E58 as a 1st drone. Cost is <$50.00.
You can really learn to fly without the fear of loosing serious $$$ when you crash it. This drone can take a beating and repair parts are cheap. Extra batteries are also cheap.
Once you learn the basics then you can make an educated decision as to what level of investment you want to make in the sport/hobby.
Hope this helps.

That's part of the beauty of these portable drones. Carry it with you, then if an opportunity arises, all you need is your phone to check weather/wind, Airmap for permission, and take off to fly (common sense rules apply).
Because I could not tell you how many photos or videos I've captured or created in my life, but I can recall single one of them I've missed (due to no camera wiht me, or drone).

I've read this entire string. Great questions and fantastic responses. I own a Mavic Pro Platinum. My first and only drone. Make sure once you purchase your Mini 2 you immediately (within hours) sign up (before your first flight) for DJI’s Care More Insurance package. (I think that's what its called). It will cost about $100. This insurance will come in very handy if your drone crashes and needs to be repaired or replaced by DJI. The only caveat to this is flying over water, crashing, and losing your drone. DJI needs your damaged drone in order to send you a new or refurbished one. I've crashed 2-3 times and got a new or refurbished drone each time. Also, there is a drone guy out there who runs a drone repair company called Thunderdrones. I've sent him my damaged drone (broken leg) in the past (when my DJI insurance ran out) and he did a great job repairing it for a fraction of the cost that DJI would have charged. I don't fly often enough to get good enough and confident enough to feel totally comfortable. So I always fly VLOS and for short periods of time. I also have DJI goggles which makes the experience of flying the drone incredible. But the downside of that is you can't fly alone. Someone flys the drone while the other person has the goggles on. When I have time and once Covid is behind us, I'll use this forum to locate other drone enthusiasts in my area to “play” with.
As input on this, whilst I have seen lots of fliers in the US seeming to rely on having DJI insurance replacement cover, the Mavic Air 2 is so stable, easily controlled and reliable, that you should not get too worried at the outset. This drone (or the Mini 2) is not about to fly away on you or fall out of the sky or crash into a tree while you stand in fear! Relax and let go of the sticks and it will hover. And if you want to be extra cautious, buy a set of rotor protectors (about $30) and fly in Tripod Mode, where the controls operate in a slower pattern. You sound like a careful and responsible person so you should be fine. And above all - enjoy the experience. Once proficient at the controls, I could not imagine you getting bored with it! ???

As input on this, whilst I have seen lots of fliers in the US seeming to rely on having DJI insurance replacement cover, the Mavic Air 2 is so stable, easily controlled and reliable, that you should not get too worried at the outset. This drone is not about to fly away on you or fall out of the sky or crash into a tree while you stand in fear! Relax and let go of the sticks and it will hover. And if you want to be extra cautious, buy a set of rotor protectors (about $30) and fly in Tripod Mode, where the controls operate in a slower pattern. You sound like a careful and responsible person so you should be fine. And above all - enjoy the experience. Once proficient at the controls, I could not imagine you getting bored with it! ???
Welcome to the Forum From Chicago the Windy City.
The MM2 is a great little drone, I have two MP's and have been eyeing that little guy for over a year. Super great improvements with the MM2, one being that the MM1 did not have a Ocusync transmission system. But still with the MM2 it's still so light that it is can cause a flyaway, which is one of 75 causes of a flyaway. Flying off downwind in a wind that is too strong for the drone to RTH against it. You received very good advice, from other pilots, lots to learn. Flyaways are caused by pilot error.
Very refreshing to see the term “pilot error” included in some feedback. Usually, that - or reference to “the Rules” - incurs the wrath of the gods and the rabid dogs arrive on the scene ..... ? ?

Also use GOOGLE EARTH at home. Explore your area from above and you’ll see places you might not have known existed that you can be comfortable flying. Boat launches, parks and public lands, abandoned spaces with parking lots, many little tucked away places not noticed from the ground. And of course some interesting subjects to photograph.

Was also worry before start flying. But DJI Mini 2 so small and quiet. Few times took off in park but just choosing not very congested place. (It is allowed in my region. If not too close to people and that not special regulated zone.) People around does not care or just assuming that is a toy. Few times just children asked me about drone. That is it.

Reactions: mugsy1963
Sorry if this type of question gets asked all the time or I am in the wrong sub forum. Feel free to delete or let me know if so!

I am thinking about getting a DJI mini 2 after randomly stumbling on some drone videos and becoming interested. I am a bit intimidated about several things though and was wondering if you guys could answer some questions to help me make my decision!

1. Where to fly. I live in the Philadelphia suburbs and can think of a few areas around be I could fly (my back yard, my parents back yard, some other remote places). But overall I am worried I wont be able to find enough cool places to go and may end up not using it.

2. Annoying people. I have read a lot of negative opinions about drones online and I have to say I do get it, if you are chilling on the beach and a bunch of people are flying drones I can see how that can get annoying. How do you guys handle that and have you had any run ins with people getting pissed off or annoyed with you while you are flying?

It seems like this could be a fun hobby to do on weekends and when I go on trips but like I said I am also a bit intimidated by it. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
I’m from England and very similar to you about were to fly but I’ve been out the last few days and really enjoyed it .I’ve got a mini 2 and I think they are brilliant so enjoy ?

For me flying my drones is a stress relief. I love it. You might too :) Especially if I use FPV goggles and have one of my family members as a spotter. There is just nothing like it. I enjoy flying over the lakes in our area and even over forests spotting dear and other animals. Been chased by a few hawks checking my Phantoms and MPP, but never attacked. It is a hobby I think you can really enjoy. Finding places to fly has never been a problem for me, but I am in South Carolina.

Reactions: philly115
I think I'm just gonna go with the drone for 450 and buy an extra battery at some point. Even if I end up buying everything from the combo it'll only end up being 30 bucks more which isn't too bad.

I pulled the trigger! Should get it from Amazon tomorrow. Now I need to decide if I should get dji care. If I crash it into a tree or something will they replace it for free?

I pulled the trigger! Should get it from Amazon tomorrow. Now I need to decide if I should get dji care. If I crash it into a tree or something will they replace it for free?
I had insurance and never had to use it. I never renewed it. But it's not a bad idea to be covered. State Farm offers coverage in some states for a yearly fee. I'd venture to say a lot depends on where you fly, how often, and kinds of weather conditions that is frequent in your flying areas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake