DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This can’t be good

We need to know what kind of coverage our industry and hobby is getting.

A better approach for sensationalism / FUD like this is to provide a summary of the content and a link in mangled form (e.g. hXXP://...) so that those that really want to read it can do so, but it doesn't get the additional search engine indexing and click-throughs that result.

Reactions: El Principio
Possibly, and given all the supposed tech on board they can probably give a hard yes or no on whether there was a drone in the area or not as well, but given the VVIP in question, and his prediliction towards self interest and executive orders, I think the chances of additional legislative restrictions in the US and/or sanctions against DJI probably just went up a notch or two.

We love drones. We've always had a great relationship with drones. We are going to have the best drones in the world, amazing drones, and China is going to pay for them.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
We love drones. We've always had a great relationship with drones. We are going to have the best drones in the world, amazing drones, and China is going to pay for them.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised we haven't had that, and with some more superlatives like "tremendous" in there too, by the way. :) OK, maybe not China paying for it, and maybe not specifically mentioning drones, but for someone who keeps banging on about the US economy, where *are* the incentives and programmes to kick-start new economic sectors to get all that manufacturing currently done in China spun up in the US? There's an election in less than three months; and something like that would make for a pretty good campaign promise (from both sides), I'd have thought, especially given that it's looking like the post-Covid-19 world is likely to see a large shift in the job market as more people continue working from home, negating the need for many of the jobs that support office working. Or is it there and I am just not seeing it because it's not really getting coverage in the mainstream US media, and is even less likely to get coverage elsewhere - I'm in the UK, although I do read various news sites from around the world for a balanced perspective?

Personally, I'd love to see a bunch of US startups successfully taking on DJI, Yuneec, Autel, etc. (and some EU ones as well for that matter). From my perspective as a consumer of the products, more competition and choice is *always* good, yet currently the Chinese seem to pretty much own the market and, other than bits of real innovation here and there, everyone else seems to be behind on tech and squabbling over scraps. Don't get me wrong, I love my M2P and some of the stuff that DJI is doing with the M2A shows great promise for the M3, but I'd at least like a few more fences to look over and see how green the grass is.

Starting to get Off Topic guys let's try and stay on it .

Reactions: old man mavic
First, it is not Airforce One in the photograph. Which then brings into how factual the accounts are of the story. Are far as we are know, it could just as well be from an government agency or military surveillance and protection. Wait until all facts are known before judgement.

Actually, it is (or was at the time). "Airforce One" is simply whichever aircraft operated by the USAF that has the US President onboard at the time, and will revert to an alternative call sign at other times, e.g. a Beechcraft King Air B90 was used by Johnson, Clinton used a Gulfstream III. Equally, "Marine One" is the helicopter you also see, often doing pickups at the Whitehouse, when carrying the President, and it's Airforce Two / Marine Two when carrying the Vice President. There are multiple aircraft, of different types, that can currently be used as Airforce One and carry the distinctive paint job, not just the heavily modified 747, with the military designation "VC-25A" that most people picture as "the" aircraft. The 757-200 pictured, designated a VC-32 by the military, while more often used by the Vice President, is indeed used regularly as Airforce One, mostly for runways that can't accommodate the larger 747.

Reactions: Mike6158
It doesn’t really matter if it’s true or not. Once it gets out into the press, as far as most people are concerned, it’s completely factual.

This article is pure speculation, as there is no proof that a drone was even involved. Experienced aviators, in the cockpit, often have a hard time determining how close they came to something, or what that something really was. Until there is an official report filed by the USAF pilots, this article is a zero to me.

Also, the article doesn't say where they were in the approach to Andrews, but as far as speed goes, there is a 250 kt. speed limit below 10,000', and additional tighter restrictions closer to major airports.

On the decent they were "probably" well under 250 kts. 90-80 kts in the C172's I fly ?
Doesn't matter. It sounds like the article is bs

Zero proof it was a drone. More like a weather balloon filled with marsh gas.

Why do people insist on flying near airports, especially the takeoff and approach area? This hobby is doomed by idiots.

99% of our membership are responsible pilots, who realise that stupid things attract media coverage. Unfortunately we are placed in the hands of the few irresponsible people who believe that rules don’t apply to them!
This is in turn blown up by the sensationalist media and the FAA step in and impose more rules on drones. The end result is that we all suffer.
Sadly this minority is oblivious to anything other than self!

I was in the cable television business when a leaky cable system in Flint, MI interfered with Air Force One communication channel for less than a minute. Communication interference is quite common but this was AF1!!!! This resulted in massive new regulations causing the industry at least 100,000 hours of work each year. Hang onto your hats folks because if this is true you just might find massive new regulation if not an outright ban.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak