DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This Gimbal's A Keeper, Right (vs. those w/ the dreaded unfixable tilted horizon)?

Gordie_Z

Reactions
Hi, new member here. I just purchased a Mavic 2 Pro with a regular controller, am running the Go 4 I just downloaded on an I-Phone, and have updated the drone's and batterie's firmware. I have read of the somewhat frequent can't-get-the-horizon-level-and-sometimes-those-that-do-get-it-level-lose-it-after-panning-problem. Prior to flying I'm trying to ascertain if this Mavic 2 Pro has that problem. I don't think it does. Do you agree...?

The camera arrived taking pictures that tilted very clockwise which had me worried (the black levels were applied in Photo Elements)…

1-Horzn-As-Shippd.jpg

After three Go 4 autocalibrations and a manual yaw and roll adjustment in Go 4...

5RollToPt5YawAprxmtdAftr3Auto.jpg

So that seems OK. But, I've read some with the problem do attain horizontal horizon via calibrating just to lose it after panning. So I shut the whole system down, put the gimbal cover on and took it off (essentially man-handling the camera), and booted it all up. Then I used the controller dial to move the camera up/down, panned the camera and moved it up/down with my finger on the screen, and auto-moved it down/horizontal multiple times with the back left controller button. I checked the manual gimbal settings and they had persisted through all this monkey biz (I was afraid they might re-set to "0" at reboot). The after-the-monkey-biz pic below shows a slight tilt relative to the pic taken after auto- and manual calibration (above)...

6-AftrRebt&MovCamW-Go4~SamAs5.jpg

But, any differences between the two seem small enough to be due to not placing the drone for the later pic exactly where it was for the former, or maybe a slight bit of drift in calibration. But, because it was able to be adjusted so well and hold the calibration over a reboot and camera movements, I don’t think this Mavic 2 Pro has the dreaded “can’t level the horizon” problem some do.

Agreed?

Also, not having taken drone pics/videos before, I'm guessing calibration can drift a bit before the horizon is detectably tilted... for those with healthy gimbals, how quickly does the calibration drift to the point you feel you must auto-calibrate and manually adjust the gimbal again? Every flight? Every five flights...?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks. "Very rarely...," "...adjusted the horizon once...to play around with settings..." Sounds promising. I can actually get it to horizontal, and it stayed horizontal in the pics above and the one I took below at the edge of the field the maiden flight was in late afternoon yesterday. So I'll assume I don't have the dreaded horizon problem...

F0965950-EF82-4A5C-A416-07A4AE4C9075.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka